Plum Bob

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does anybody on here use a putter as a plumb bob to help read greens.

Does it help? Something I've never tried myself but I reckon half my trouble with putting is not reading the greens well so might be tempted to learn how to do it.

Conscious that using the plumb bob method might make me look even more than a knob on the green though. :( :D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I saw the irony in the title as I was typing it :D But theres no other word for it afaik.

You know what I mean holding the putter vertically and holding out in front of you, with 1 eye closed.... like some pros do.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anybody on here use a putter as a plumb bob to help read greens.

Does it help? Something I've never tried myself but I reckon half my trouble with putting is not reading the greens well so might be tempted to learn how to do it.

Conscious that using the plumb bob method might make me look even more than a knob on the green though. :( :D

I fail to see what the benefit of this is, to me it just make no difference except to make me look like a knob

T

thecraw

I prefer the spider although my belly gets in the way these days!

may19_camilo_600x368.jpg

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Read-Easy that works!

Only joking, would be funny if that adding "-Easy" onto the end of something immediately makes Bob run to his shed to see if he can make it.

I get down low and read them, I take into account the slopes of the land around the green (ball generally rolls towards down the hillside/towards the pond, lake or sea).

I also use personal experience of the hole. I know which way some tricky putts tend to break at my course now.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use it,to back up what I am reading....it works very well in my opinion.

Just a shame my action doesn't.

^
^
^
Wot he said.

Gives me an idea of the overall break of the putt/chip.

(I can't believe that Dodger and I agree on something
:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely it only tells you the slope of the bit of land you are standing on in comparison to the hole. Doesn't take into account other contours between the ball and the hole.

I think the most important part of the putt to be able to read is around the hole, when the ball is rolling at its slowest and is reacting to the breaks the most. Mind you the way i am putting at the moment, perhaps i am not qualified to comment. :(

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely it only tells you the slope of the bit of land you are standing on in comparison to the hole. Doesn't take into account other contours between the ball and the hole.

Precisely. There is a secondary question about how reliably someone can detect the slope they are standing on, but even if you grant them that, the rest is patently absurd.

Dave Pelz may be a bit of a muppet sometimes, but he understands the laws of physics.