Please post your swings

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
All

I have had a pretty hectic few weeks and have been a bit behind on looking at your swings and trying to assist your game.

If you want me to look at your swing then can you please post on this thread, that way I then know who wants some help

Apologies for not getting back to any of you that have previously posted
I promise to get back to you all over the next few days. I am looking forward to helping you all understand your games more.

Step 1 to improving your game is to understand it in its entirety (not just the swing)
Step 2 is to enjoy your game/the experience
Step 3 is to develop confidence/belief about both your game and yourself
Once you understand, enjoy and believe you are then set and ready to improve (There is no short cut to improving!!)

Neil Plimmer

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi Neil,
First up is a mid to long iron (5 iron maybe from memory)
my bogey shot with my irons is a slight block/push to the right (maybe 5 yards on a 150 yard par 3, missing green by a yard or two to the right possibly caused by my grip), if I move the ball forward in my stance it turns into a draw and any further back exaggerates the push shape. I will be going to see michael bannon in the coming weeks for a few lessons but wouldnt mind a few pointers where possible :)
I hit a healthy distance with each club and dont really desire more yards, just a little more accuracy.
The weakest part of my game is definately my middle iron tee shots and maybe the odd shank with the shorter clubs. I am enjoying my golf though I have to say.
I'll post up a couple more when I get back to the house in an hour or so, 3 wood off the deck and a short iron.

Edit: New video up, 56kers beware! :)

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Neil here is my answers and swing

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? If yes, what have you specifically been working on? NO I HAVE ONLY EVER HAD VERY OCCASIONAL LESSONS
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game? AN IMPROVING GAME AND PRETTY SOLID STRIKING
Weaknesses? POOR DISTANCE, COMPARED WITH OTHER MY AGE AND SIZE
How often do you play/practise? TWICE A WEEK BUT CURRENTLY MORE DUE TO BEING ON HOLIDAY
What is your scoring average/handicap? MY HANDICAP IS 23 BUT HAVE BEEN GETTING CUT ALL THE TIME
Do you keep stats? NOT REALLY, NO
What is your strike/shot/shape pattern for the following clubs
Driver/Tee shots FAIRLY LOW, DRAW, SOMETIMES HOOK
Fariway woods HIGHER BUT STILL DRAW, SOMETIMES HOOK, OCCASIONAL CHUNK
Rescue Clubs NICE HEIGHT AND TRAJECTORY, SHES MY BABY
Long/medium irons QUITE LOW, STRUGGLE MAKING A GOOD CONSISTENT STRIKE, OCCASIONAL SLICE
Short irons PLEASED WITH THESE SHOTS, HIGH, SOFT LANDING

Further notes: I am 15, about 5' 10 and been playing golf for approx. 18 months.

Here is the link to my swing http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac231/adamk15/?action=view&current=MySwing.flv

Would be great to hear from you with any tips, what a generous thing you're doing. :)

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Neil,

I posted one called My Swing on 9th June. It's 4 stills not vid, but I'd welcome any thoughts if you could find time.

Thanks!!

richie77

Visit site
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/hemheath/?action=view&current=Picture005-1.flv

Hi Neil,

I've posted a video of my swing above. I play off 18, I've been playing twice a week on average since around October 2008, before that I only played every now and again.

I have had 3 lessons, looking woods, irons and short game, which helped a lot.

My strengths are short game (130 yards in) and am fairly steady off the tee, although I seem to go right quite a bit, the ball flight goes straight and then will fall away to the right. This is similar when I hit my 4 iron in particular. It is this I would like to work in an attempt to irradicate it from my game.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Richie

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Brendy

Thanks for posting your swing

The first thing I wanted to mention with your 3 wood was how far back your ball position was. Looked good with the 7 irn and sand iron but looked a long way back with your wood. I like to see the ball positioned somewhere near the left heel with any wood, that way you will get through the ball better.

I would certainly want to make you aware of your weight transfer during the swing. On the 3 swings you posted is doesn't look to me that you fully complete your backswing and your weight doesn't get behind the ball.
At the top of the backswing I like to see 65/70% of your weight on your right hand side
In the swings posted you only get about 55% of weight back behind the ball
This could certainly lead to the problems and inconsistency that you described

Make practise swings turning fully to the top of your swing and then stopping. Close your eyes and imagine how much weight has transfered from address onto the right hand side

Then take this feeling onto your full motion. My pupils normally feel like they are then swaying, do not worry, this is the normal movement of weight that you need to make during the swing

Apart from the weight transfer it looks like a good/solid motion

Let me know how it goes

Neil Plimmer

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
adamk15

That is great posted video of your swing, good job

For how long you have been playing you have done extremely well.

As with a lot of lads of your age that I coach the swing you make is very similar.

When you swing the club you have to make sure that the club, hands, arms, body and body weight move back in sequence and through in sequence.
One of the things that I notice with your golf swing is how much the club is "behind" your body at the top of the swing.
Ideally the club would be above your right shoulder, take a look at all the great players in the world and notice where their club is at the top and where yours is

Make really slow swings swinging the club up and over your right shoulder on the way back and it should then finish over your left shoulder on the way through
If you get the club on line at the top your ball striking and direction control will improve, aswell as our ability to hit the ball that bit further!!

Try not to over complicate things with your golf swing, at your age and handicap you should be concentratingon playing the game and developing your ability to score. Your swing will certainly develop as you get older, stronger and more knowledgable

I look forward to hearing how you get on

Neil Plimmer

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Canforhacker

Thanks for posting the pictures of your swing

This has been really quite difficult for me to help you guys. I see one swing from a couple fo angles, without knowing much about your game and character. I always try and spend a lot of time getting to know my pupils.
Saying that it has also been a good test of my coaching, really enjoying it

From looking at your pictures it looks like you have a number of good things going in your swing

The first thing I would always suggest is to check over your basics
Alignment - feet/knees/hips & shoulders/forearms
Ball position
If you can set up to the ball well you give yourself the very best chance of making a solid/dynamic swing

I did notice one thing, take a look at picture 2
Youe left knee has moved a long way from where it was at address and your left hip is then a lot lower than the right at the top of the backswing

At the top of the swing I would like to see a lot quieter left knee (in a similar position to where it was at address) and your hips should be level, the right one even being slightly lower than the left

This position at the top will give you a much better direction to attack the ball from and it would also develop more power.

Compare the picture of you at the top of the swing and a top player who is of similar build, you will notice a huge difference

Make really slow motion swings developing awareness of how your knees and hips move in the backswing
If you can get that on video and compare I am sure you will see a tremendous difference

Neil Plimmer

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Richie

Looks like a swing that has a LOT of potential

If your longer clubs are starting right and then going further right then you need to develop awareness of 2 things when out on the golf course

The ball will be going to the right for 2 reasons
1. You will be aiming that way (guranteed - 95% of my pupils aim too far right)
2. As you swing through the ball the clubface will be opening

When out on the golf course pay VERY close attention to your alignment

As you swing through the ball feel the clubface "closing" Worst case scenario is you will hit a few shots out left!!

To make a change you have to see a change

The majoity of golfers I coach aim to the right and have a opening clubface when swinging through the ball, this leads to a shot that starts to the right and goes right, especially with the longer clubs

As I suggested, develop an awareness of quality and correct alignment and also what your clubface is doing through the hitting area

Develop the feeling on the range then trust yourself and take it to the course

Neil Plimmer

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks a lot Neil, appreciate the input and it definitely makes sense. I think that happens when I try to put something extra in it, rather than take it smoothly. I'll work on it!!

adamk15

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was so eager to test your tips I went down the range tonight Neil.

After reviewing my vids and looking at some others on youtube I understand what you mean. It took some time but evntually I was getting there and hitting some lovely, long, staright shots.

It'll take some time to groove this into my natural swing but I hope I can get there. Thanks a lot mate, gold star.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Brendy

Thanks for posting your swing

The first thing I wanted to mention with your 3 wood was how far back your ball position was. Looked good with the 7 irn and sand iron but looked a long way back with your wood. I like to see the ball positioned somewhere near the left heel with any wood, that way you will get through the ball better.

I would certainly want to make you aware of your weight transfer during the swing. On the 3 swings you posted is doesn't look to me that you fully complete your backswing and your weight doesn't get behind the ball.
At the top of the backswing I like to see 65/70% of your weight on your right hand side
In the swings posted you only get about 55% of weight back behind the ball
This could certainly lead to the problems and inconsistency that you described

Make practise swings turning fully to the top of your swing and then stopping. Close your eyes and imagine how much weight has transfered from address onto the right hand side

Then take this feeling onto your full motion. My pupils normally feel like they are then swaying, do not worry, this is the normal movement of weight that you need to make during the swing

Apart from the weight transfer it looks like a good/solid motion

Let me know how it goes

Neil Plimmer
Cheers Neil, a few years ago when I was taking lessons, I was a swayer so probably why I shy away from too much weight behind the ball though I do feel like I get plenty behind it. One thing I will say is that I feel like my feet are too active, what do you think?
I'll certainly take this to the range tomorrow evening. so thank you very much for your valuable tips.
When it comes to ball position, I notied what ou said about the 3 wood and had a look at some of the other footage, all of my shots on the day were off the grass, no tees and found a few that were further forward in my stance.

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
DOAM

Please take a look at the following questions and try and answer them as honestly as you can.

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? If yes, what have you specifically been working on?
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game?
Weaknesses?
How often do you play/practise?
What is your scoring average/handicap?
Do you keep stats?
Driver/Tee shots
Fariway woods
Rescue Clubs
Long/medium irons
Short irons

The first thing I always try and get all of my players to do is hold their finish position (until the ball lands)
You should notice that your right foot stays planted to the ground on both swings, this will restrict the rotation of your body. Possibley resulting in a push to the right and I assume inconsistent striking

At the end of the swing try and feel like the club finishes over your left shoulder, your right foot should be up and your body should be facing left of your intended target.
Take a look at any great players finish, learn the position and copy.
If you can hold this position until the ball lands you will give yourself the very best chance of hitting it better.

The main reason to hold your finish is simple, if you are balanced at the end of the swing, you will be balanced as you hit it, thus improving the consistency of your strike

I hope that helps? Let me know how you get on, if you can maybe get some footage when on the golf course that would be great and also answers the questions above

Neil Plimmer

DOAM

Visit site
DOAM

Please take a look at the following questions and try and answer them as honestly as you can.

Do you have regular coaching at the moment? If yes, what have you specifically been working on?
What do you consider to be the strengths of your game?
Weaknesses?
How often do you play/practise?
What is your scoring average/handicap?
Do you keep stats?
Driver/Tee shots
Fariway woods
Rescue Clubs
Long/medium irons
Short irons

The first thing I always try and get all of my players to do is hold their finish position (until the ball lands)
You should notice that your right foot stays planted to the ground on both swings, this will restrict the rotation of your body. Possibley resulting in a push to the right and I assume inconsistent striking

At the end of the swing try and feel like the club finishes over your left shoulder, your right foot should be up and your body should be facing left of your intended target.
Take a look at any great players finish, learn the position and copy.
If you can hold this position until the ball lands you will give yourself the very best chance of hitting it better.

The main reason to hold your finish is simple, if you are balanced at the end of the swing, you will be balanced as you hit it, thus improving the consistency of your strike

I hope that helps? Let me know how you get on, if you can maybe get some footage when on the golf course that would be great and also answers the questions above

Neil Plimmer

Thanks for the reply!

Man, all the tips in the world, and it never dawned on me that my planted right foot was causing me to push right. Thats actually my main problem with driving. I have to REALLY slow my swing down in order to not push it right. Actually going out for 9 now, can't video it but deffinately going to work on the right foot. Anyhow, here my answers:

Never had any lessons, though in the process of scheduling one for next sunday.

Irons. I really feel I do well with irons.

Driving. I have a choice between hitting it far and sending the ball way right, or hitting it short and straight. (though this is hopefully going to change now...)

I play 9 holes twice a week, and use my net as often as possible... usually 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Horrible! I choke alot. I can almost play scratch with friends, but the moment I'm in a comp. I hit 30 over... handicap is 32.8 on the aussie system.

I've not kept any stats other than the obvious stuff that I memorized by seeing it every time I go play...

Not sure what exactly you mean by strike/shot/shape so just going to describe what I do and what happens, if I miss any info just say so. :p

Driver/tee: With the driver/3wood if I hit it as hard as I want, the ball goes slightly to the right off the club, though sometimes straight or even left(!!), then about 1/2 through flight it makes a 90 degree turn to the right. If I hit irons off the tee, or my rescue off the tee (hit as an iron), the shots go mostly straight though sometimes to the left. Almost no draw/fade (or whatever it's called when you do it by accident lol).

Fairway woods: 3wood of the fairway usually suffers the same as off the tee. Straight off the club, or slightly left/right, then a huge 90 degree turn to the right during ball flight.

Rescue clubs: I originally had trouble with it, though I've moved my legs closer together and place the ball about midway in my stance, or sometimes closer to my back foot than front, and seem to be ok with them now. Though my 4 iron from a "no name" golf company can get nearly as far as my callaway big bertha diablo 3 hybrid... So I'm still not hitting the rescue as good as I feel I should be.

Long/medium irons: Tiger would be jealous! Heh not really. But I'm quite proud of my long/mid irons. As long as I have a decent drive, I can usually pull out my 4I-7I and get on or near the green. The problem, of course, being that my drives usually turn right and go into the trees. Or water. Or OOB.

Short irons: Meh. I'm ok with my 8, I stopped using my 9... haven't had a use for it... PW is ok. SW is ok from 100-75m, but from 70m-30m I really struggle with how hard to hit it. Unfortunately I don't have a lower club at the moment.

I REALLY appreciate what you're doing. It's amazing. Thanks so much! I'm off to play 9 and try to move my right foot.

edit: Oh, and I'll drag the wife out for 9 soon and get some footage. Thanks again!

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
DOAM

Will wait for that extra bit of footage
From the front and the back and if you can on the golf course
As I suggested the swing on the range and on the course is COMPLETELY different!!

Keep things nice and simple when on the course
Aim and align to the target and finish the swing
Simple as that

Look forward to your comments/thoughts and extra footage

Neil

Yips

Visit site
Hi neil, I'm new to the forum and trying to load up a video if I can ever get the D**n camera to work! Anyway...

I currently dont have a H'cap as not a member of a club, but I'm hitting nearly all my irons really well and have a slight draw (R to L).
However I currently will not use my driver as I have a ridiculously large slice?
I'm using a 19* driving Iron off the tee as it is this that I get my most control and distance (200+ yds).

I'm a large rugby players build, but quite muscular and stand 6'2". Dont know if this could be causing the slice.
Any main areas to work on to try and cure a bad slice with a driver?

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Yips

Welcome to forum, look forward to seeing your swing

Tip 1 (and it may be the only thing to work on)
Check your alignment when on the golf course
99% of the people that I coach aim their body to the right of their intended target (right handed player)

If you then put a good swing on the shot it will go to the right.
What then normally happens then is people will compensate to try and get the ball back on target, thus causing a swing that will try to swing to target.

This is the slice swing

If you align well on the golf course you will give yourself the best chance to swing without compensating

When out on the golf course, just before hitting your shot, put a club down on your toe line, step back and check where the club is pointing. If it is aiming to the right of your inteneded target then you have got some work to do

The only thing that should point at the target is the middle of the clubface, everything else should aim parrallel to the clubface (it will feel you are aiming to the left)

Have a look at your alignment on the golf course and let me know what it is like

Regards

Neil Plimmer

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Any main areas to work on to try and cure a bad slice with a driver?

You sound just like me. On the whole I hit my short irons pretty straight, my long irons with a bit of draw, and my driver with a jumbo slice. Last time I played I slowed things down and simply tried to "hit" the driver, rather than trying to lam it. (After all, I never try to rip the skin off the ball with any club *other* than the driver!) Result was several dead straight drives, two touching 300 yards. My swing thought was simple - line the ball up with a divot or tuft of grass or a leaf that was two or three feet ahead of the ball, and I just tried to get my swing to put the ball over said object. Really seemed to work for me.