Please explain WiFi range extenders

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As per title, can someone explain how these work?

I'm looking to try and extend WiFi coverage in my garden where at the limit I loss it in my garage. Am I right in saying if I plug one of these extenders in I need to be within existing coverage and it then will extend X amount of meters further?

Is that pretty much it?

D

Deleted member 15344

It all depends on which ones you look to buy

There are ones that just look at all the signals and just boost whatever they pick up - mainly just plug into the mains. There are ones which you can log into and then only boost certain signals.

The simple ones are the plug and play - in weak spot areas ( mainly outside and upstairs ) then just plug in a booster and it will strengthen the signal hence extending the range.

The other way is to run a cable from the modem and then get a WiFi Access Point - if you want WiFi in garage and garden that would be my recommendation- a Ubquiti AP are pretty simple to use

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the above, alternative solutions are also available

Powerline wifi are good but dependant on your internal electric cabling/breakers. I use one upstairs and connect my pc via ethernet and sky q mini via wireless and get full 80mb speeds, low latency also, as a gamer I check this and no issues but mine is a new ish build so wiring tip top.

Another option is home mesh wifi such as google wifi, Netgear Orbi, TENDA MW6 (my friend installs these as is a reseller and raves about em for the price to performance). Prices start around 160 quid so not overly expensive and most are easily setup with an app.

Plenty of options out there

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use both a Powerline to connect both my TV and Satellite receiver directly to the internet. But they all have to be on the one wiring loom.
I then have a TP-Link WiFi range extender for the Tablets and Phones around the house.
They're all really easy to install and set up and do provide a good boost to poor signals.
The only comment I would add is that make sure what you buy doesn't strangle the speeds. Some of the older / cheaper models have limits on what they can transmit.