'Playing through' etiquette

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing in our club Wednesday stableford comp this evening with my mate as a twoball. We teed off at 5.45pm and it normally would take 3-3.5hrs to get a round in, which meant we should be finished before sunset.

But just after we played our tee shots at the 10th, two guys asked could they play through as they were playing a match. I was initially reluctant because the course ahead of us was pretty busy and we had to stand on some of the tee boxes waiting on the groups ahead. Also, I know they were playing a match but we were also playing in a competition which we had paid into.

We let them through anyway, as did the groups ahead. But as a result it added at least 20-30 mins onto our round which meant the sun had disappeared by the time we were teeing off on 17. I had 36 points after 17 holes but it was so dark going down 18 I didn't see where my drive went and I dinged the hole. :angry:

I'm interested to hear forummers opinion on this. Were we right to let them through because they were playing a match or should they just have waited behind us as the course was busy and most people were playing in a competition?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If they were playing a Match - ie Matchplay match - at the same time as playing a Stableford comp then they're in trouble as you can't do both at the same time.

As regards letting them through because they were playing a Match I'd have been very polite and said No....

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They were playing one of the club cup competitions, singles matchplay. Everyone else was playing the normal Wednesday stableford competition.

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
Curious...........

Your club allows matchplay ties to be played during other competitions???!?!!

At our place matchplay ties have the "right" to play thro' BUT.....

This wouldn't happen at our place - when comps are taking place the tee is closed to any other game during the times that 18 holes could be completed before sunset

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Curious...........

Your club allows matchplay ties to be played during other competitions???!?!!

At our place matchplay ties have the "right" to play thro' BUT.....

This wouldn't happen at our place - when comps are taking place the tee is closed to any other game during the times that 18 holes could be completed before sunset

In our club cup comps you are drawn against your competitor and you then have 2-3 weeks (usually a fixed date) to get the match played. You can play it whenever suits both players/pairs as long as its not on a Saturday before 3pm.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We let them through anyway, as did the groups ahead. But as a result it added at least 20-30 mins onto our round which meant the sun had disappeared by the time we were teeing off on 17. I had 36 points after 17 holes but it was so dark going down 18 I didn't see where my drive went and I dinged the hole. :angry:

I'm interested to hear forummers opinion on this. Were we right to let them through because they were playing a match or should they just have waited behind us as the course was busy and most people were playing in a competition?

Why did it dd thatlong? I ould hav thought 10 mins max.

Unless it's a club rule, I'd have said playing in a comp has the same status as a Match, though a 2-ball is quicker and should be let through.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the match could have waited as it may not go the full 18 holes. plus, the two players could finish the game the following day if the light gave way.

could the match be finished two days later if the players agreed to it?

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why did it dd thatlong? I ould hav thought 10 mins max.

Unless it's a club rule, I'd have said playing in a comp has the same status as a Match, though a 2-ball is quicker and should be let through.

we stood on the 10th hole close to 10 mins waiting for them to play through. Then we had a long wait (around 15mins) on the 12th tee as the fourball in front of us had let them play through as well.

There were two fourballs an a threeball directly in front of us and they all let the twoball through which held things up.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the match could have waited as it may not go the full 18 holes. plus, the two players could finish the game the following day if the light gave way.

could the match be finished two days later if the players agreed to it?

as long as the match is finished before the deadline date for that round it doesn't matter when it's played. So yeah they could have come back and finished another day.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as long as the match is finished before the deadline date for that round it doesn't matter when it's played. So yeah they could have come back and finished another day.

I see no real reason why they should be let through everyone. those in a comp have to finish that day so should take priority. it is their own fault for teeing off so late.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
we stood on the 10th hole close to 10 mins waiting for them to play through. Then we had a long wait (around 15mins) on the 12th tee as the fourball in front of us had let them play through as well.

There were two fourballs an a threeball directly in front of us and they all let the twoball through which held things up.

Still doesn't compute!

It wasn't the match that held you up. It was the 4s and 3s that they went through. Half a hole for the disruption of them going through you and half a hole of them going through the next group. So it should only cost you 1 hole slippage.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would have let them thru no problem, 2 people playing a matchplay can whip round the course. I wouldn't have thought twice.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still doesn't compute!

It wasn't the match that held you up. It was the 4s and 3s that they went through. Half a hole for the disruption of them going through you and half a hole of them going through the next group. So it should only cost you 1 hole slippage.

They caused further congestion to an already busy course. As I said, we waited near 10 mins to let them play through the par 3 10th. Then a few more minutes while they waited to play their second shot to the 11th green as the fourball in front were on it. They then jumped in front of those guys at the 12th tee, leaving that fourball standing there. They were still waiting to play their tee shots when we got to the 12th tee.

Not sure how many holes slippage that would be classed as but it was around 20-30 min delay which ended up causing us problems with the light.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If i was in your situation I would have explained that you are waiting over shots due to groups infront and you are also playing in a competion and letting them through means you may finish in the dark so you can't really let them through.

End of the day even as a 2 ball matchplay teeing off around 6pm you are going to be pushed to get finished before it starts getting dark if you go the full 18 holes.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware, letting a match through is pretty standard procedure. It would certainly be expected at my club. Annoying that they played when a comp was on though.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would of played up 10 with them let them putt out and move on, 5 mins delay, it sounds to me also that it was the larger (4,& 3's) groups in front that caused you not to finish in daylight.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I would have let them thru no problem, 2 people playing a matchplay can whip round the course. I wouldn't have thought twice.

Is the right answer.

I'd add that teeing off at 5:45, with 4 balls in front of you, pretty much guaranteed you'd be finishing in the dark. You certainly wouldn't go round in 3 to 3.5hrs with the course loaded as you say.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is the right answer.

I'd add that teeing off at 5:45, with 4 balls in front of you, pretty much guaranteed you'd be finishing in the dark. You certainly wouldn't go round in 3 to 3.5hrs with the course loaded as you say.

I'd agree too. Our course has a two tee start ie 2 balls and 3 and 4 balls off other 1st or 10th and works pretty well.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Is the right answer.

And you can say the same about the guys behind playing their match. Their tee off time, was it based on everyone standing aside????. Did they expect the course to stand aside while others play in a comp. I would not let them through unless I was holding them up. Simple. I've seen some really slow match play games in my time.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not a chance,if the course was clear in front of me & they were playing at a faster pace than us then yes,no problem.