Playing the Old Course Solo...

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the great tips in this thread! I'll be arriving in St. Andrews on May 28, will it be as busy then as in summer? I'll be trying the ballot but am ready to queue at 4am or so if that's what it takes.
Just to make you aware that the date you have selected is a Bank Holiday weekend and St. Andrews may be busier than a normal weekend.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Good to know, thanks. What about the rest of the week, May 30-June 1? Do I need to arrive at midnight or will 5am be early enough?
I don't really know, I was just making you aware, it may make the Monday a little busier than it may of been, although if I recall correctly the OP's visit was also a Bank Holiday, the Easter weekend I think.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Good to know, thanks. What about the rest of the week, May 30-June 1? Do I need to arrive at midnight or will 5am be early enough?

From the video's I've watched 5am is Childs play and very little chance. You're going to want to do 3am or earlier in Summer months.

greencajun

Visit site
From the video's I've watched 5am is Childs play and very little chance. You're going to want to do 3am or earlier in Summer months.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I was not sure whether late May is considered "summer".

I don't really mind waiting overnight, except that it will be chilly and there will not be much to do.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I was not sure whether late May is considered "summer".

I don't really mind waiting overnight, except that it will be chilly and there will not be much to do.

5am just is far too late, people get up then for the gym before work!

I think if you really do have your heart set on it, what's 3 hours extra in the cold? You can take a blanket to wrap up in and something to sit on.. Ipad charged with a couple of films - bosh!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
5am just is far too late, people get up then for the gym before work!

I think if you really do have your heart set on it, what's 3 hours extra in the cold? You can take a blanket to wrap up in and something to sit on.. Ipad charged with a couple of films - bosh!
Caddying fir some Americans today who'd all gone down at 4am for the Old course earlier this week and were not in the first 30 people there so didn't bother and said they all went back to bed.

greencajun

Visit site
Caddying fir some Americans today who'd all gone down at 4am for the Old course earlier this week and were not in the first 30 people there so didn't bother and said they all went back to bed.
Thank you, that is pretty definitive, 4am is too late. You are caddying for them at another course?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I went at 12.30 the other year and was still 9th in the queue (end of July). But I also talked to the starters the day before, they’ll tell you from about 5 or 6 in the evening about how many slots they know are available for the next day. A couple of times it was only 3 or 4. The time I went it about 16. This is what 12.30 at the starters hut looks like…
1683739381781.jpeg

TigerTime

Visit site
Thanks for all the great tips in this thread! I'll be arriving in St. Andrews on May 28, will it be as busy then as in summer? I'll be trying the ballot but am ready to queue at 4am or so if that's what it takes.
I'm no expert because I've done it once but I think it will be busy and I'd recommend getting to the queue much earlier than 4am. It might be a 1/2am job, wait until it opens and if you get offered a guaranteed time in the afternoon, take that then head back to your hotel for a sleep!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is according to the government as I did check before posting.

It is according to the government as I did check before posting.

It might be a bank holiday but some regions do not get this as a public holiday.
My thoughts were that bank holidays were UK but public holidays were not always the same.
Jan 2 is a public holiday in Scotland but not a bank holiday.
Anyway, back to golf.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
It might be a bank holiday but some regions do not get this as a public holiday.
My thoughts were that bank holidays were UK but public holidays were not always the same.
Anyway, back to golf.

I don't know what you are going on about, I stated the weekend included a bank holiday, and supplied a link to a government site to confirm it.
If it is a holiday in some areas these people may descend upon St. Andrews to play TOC thus making it busier on the Monday
I really don't know what all this comeback is for.

sunshine

Visit site
Anyway, back to golf.
I don’t know where you are going with this. 29 May is a bank holiday in Scotland and England and Wales. Some people will be working, eg staff at golf clubs, but it’s still a bank holiday or public holiday.