Playing the Old Course Solo...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d play the Dukes over either of the Fairmont courses to be honest. You can get some good deals there too, worth a check.

Hope you get a break GGTTH and get in via singles anyway. I’ve got too much on this weekend otherwise could have offered to go in the ballot to help.

TigerTime

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, mate. So, are you tempted to turn up and queue? I've been here most of the day, and there were several 3 balls and even some 2 balls on the course, which suggests they didn't have many walk-ups. Might be well worth getting there at 05.45/06.00 and hoping for the best.

Reckon I'd be okay if I rocked up at 5.45? Looks like they are 18 free slots on the tee sheet before 3pm. I could probably get there for 4.30/5 if I skip some of the Masters coverage tonight and have an early night.

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
Just a point of note to allay any misconceptions - there’s nothing to stop anyone from going into the pavilion at any time it’s open and adding one’s name to the list. If there’s no-one else there and a spot comes up, then the list doesn’t matter. Always worth popping in and sussing it out, and seeing how many others are there waiting.

I shall share my experience of the singles’ queue etc from end of August last year when I have more time.

TigerTime

Visit site
And one last probably silly question but thought I should check. Anyone know what the deal is with trolleys? I'm under strict doctors orders not to carry my bag, so will likely be using my own trolley. Presume that'll be fine?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
And one last probably silly question but thought I should check. Anyone know what the deal is with trolleys? I'm under strict doctors orders not to carry my bag, so will likely be using my own trolley. Presume that'll be fine?
Lots of trolleys, electric and push, out there. Not a problem.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Trolleys are fine. The official line is “restrictions have been relaxed“ which is just a get-out clause for if/when conditions dictate.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They've been out and about from 07.00 this week, so maybe that was through the winter?

Nah, they’ve been allowed all day for a good number of years now. There was a trial period long before the pandemic to see what effect it would have on wear and tear and the outcome of “restrictions have been relaxed” has been in place ever since.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nah, they’ve been allowed all day for a good number of years now. There was a trial period long before the pandemic to see what effect it would have on wear and tear and the outcome of “restrictions have been relaxed” has been in place ever since.
What happened to the no no trolley, carry or caddy before 12?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What happened to the no no trolley, carry or caddy before 12?

It just quietly disappeared after the trial period, which digging through some emails started back in 2016. Like most things with Links Trust, stuff happens but we don’t get the full details. I imagine that once wear and tear was shown not to be an issue there was no longer any justification for trolley restrictions.

Although they could re-introduce restrictions on any day I can’t recall them doing it yet. Our winter meetings have been trolleys all day for 5 years or so now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It just quietly disappeared after the trial period, which digging through some emails started back in 2016. Like most things with Links Trust, stuff happens but we don’t get the full details. I imagine that once wear and tear was shown not to be an issue there was no longer any justification for trolley restrictions.

Although they could re-introduce restrictions on any day I can’t recall them doing it yet. Our winter meetings have been trolleys all day for 5 years or so now.
So the whole" protection of caddy rounds " was a bit of a con then? Tbh I thought it sounded like a good idea. The few times o have played toc I've taken a caddy, I don't know the course and always found it invaluable

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the whole" protection of caddy rounds " was a bit of a con then? Tbh I thought it sounded like a good idea. The few times o have played toc I've taken a caddy, I don't know the course and always found it invaluable

Perhaps yeah, it’s hard to know amongst opinions for sure but it looks like there’s just as many caddies keeping busy. People with trollies are generally members who won’t have used caddies anyway which was always the dispute.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Tee time secured but it’s 3.30pm! Better be finished before dark or I’ll cry!

Time to go for a sleep
Amazing!
I saw people coming down 17th at 20.30, and it was just about light enough.
And what a day for it. Lovely and sunny with very little wind.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tee time secured but it’s 3.30pm! Better be finished before dark or I’ll cry!

Time to go for a sleep

Enjoy! You’ve got a perfect day, it’s looking glorious out there. Don’t worry about the timing, it’ll be fine, and playing up 18 in twilight of a sunny day is magic. Friday night holiday weekend, plenty of tourists milling around, you might even get a little applause from the gallery. You can’t beat it. 👍