Playing the Old Course Solo...

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Good to know that the ballot is entirely equitable; last year's R&A Captain didn't get in! Shame, but hey ho. We're playing the New instead, so at least parallel to The Old Course.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Apropos nothing much, a friend of mine was playing on the Jubilee this morning and saw Danny Maude filming on the OC. I wonder if any other minor celebs are up there?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Basically, I've never played the Old Course. All of my golfing buddies have and don't want to pay the fees again which is fair enough. This year is the year. I have some time off work around Masters week, so was planning on entering the ballot, however I can see it's for two players only. Which leaves me with the question, is it possible to play solo? I'm not sure I'd be willing to drive to St. Andrews and sit in the car overnight, be absolutely knackered and have a *** round of golf because of that.

Or if anyone wants to enter the ballot with me feel free!

Sorry, but I didn’t understand the question.
I take it there’s a ballot to get to pay for a round because it’s so oversubscribed, like Wimbledon tickets, but why are people posting about sleeping in cars, or 5am alarm clocks?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I take it there’s a ballot to get to pay for a round because it’s so oversubscribed, like Wimbledon tickets, but why are people posting about sleeping in cars, or 5am alarm clocks?
Some of the the tee times are kept back for people to have a chance of playing. Enter 2 days in advance and find out the day before I think it is.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Because, on the day, some of the tee times are two or three balls. The queue early in the morning is for a chance to fill one of these gaps. Also, a single player can't enter the ballot, it's a minimum of two players.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Unsuccessful 😫
Sorry to hear that, mate. So, are you tempted to turn up and queue? I've been here most of the day, and there were several 3 balls and even some 2 balls on the course, which suggests they didn't have many walk-ups. Might be well worth getting there at 05.45/06.00 and hoping for the best.

TigerTime

Visit site
Sorry to hear that, mate. So, are you tempted to turn up and queue? I've been here most of the day, and there were several 3 balls and even some 2 balls on the course, which suggests they didn't have many walk-ups. Might be well worth getting there at 05.45/06.00 and hoping for the best.
Not sure tbh. I’ve had a look at the tee sheet and there is 18 empty slots before 3pm, so surely I’d get on? Assuming most are happy to have someone else in.

About an hour 45 drive in the car for me so I’d need to leave around 4am. I’ve also not been feeling great this week to be honest so maybe for the best I didn’t get in the ballot!

I have another entry going in Saturday for Mondays ballot so I might just wait and see the result of that first, and then maybe chance it Monday morning instead.

Pretty disappointed but not the end of the world a couple of opportunities left.

TigerTime

Visit site
Weather forecast looks miserable for Monday, so I think I'm just going to take a drive up tomorrow morning and hope for the best. If I don't get on, I'm gonna book a last minute time for Kittocks or Torrance.