Playing Royal St George’s

sunshine

Visit site
Heading down to Sandwich next week to tick off RSG on the bucket list.

Just realised that there is a handicap index limit of 18.4 and one of our group is off 20. Does anyone know if this is enforced?

I’ve never ever been asked for proof of handicap anywhere before but don’t want to get there and be challenged. Thanks.

JT.

Visit site
I wasn’t asked to show any proof of handicap when I played down there - albeit that was 5 or 6 years ago.

Can’t confirm if anything’s changed since then 🤷‍♂️

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played there end 2021 - wasn’t asked. Not only that, but my caddy had a higher handicap than your guy. I really wouldn’t worry. Main thing to ensure is if you’re playing in shorts you have knee length socks. That said, you can get ripped off for them in the shop, and overpay for the caddy - and some would argue the green fee…

And none of it matters. It’s an absolutely immense course. One of my favourites. It’s awesome. Yes there are blind tee shots but that’s why you have a caddy, trust their lines and I guarantee you every time you walk over the ridge you just drive blind over - you will smile. It’s a masterpiece.

What I would say is that if your buddy doesn’t carry the ball far (and I don’t know, some 20+ guys hit it a mile), then tell him take a bag of balls and not be too put out about making a real score. If you can’t carry the rubbish, it’s ok, drop a ball at the start of the fairway and enjoy the beauty of it. Last thing he, you, or anyone wants is thrashing around in the clag trying to find a ball that you probably won’t - and even if you do - you can’t get it out. You’re there for an experience and a great day out. Not torturing yourself. Forget the scorecard and enjoy one of the the truly great Open rota courses

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Still worth checking, just in case, even if you have to do it surreptitiously. And was long white socks with shorts when I played it. Great course!

D-S

Visit site
A lot of blind tee shots the first time you play it, so worth playing it with someone who knows the lines or get a caddy. The 18th looks very different to what you see on tv with the grandstands.
Great course, enjoy the lunch.

sunshine

Visit site
Still worth checking, just in case, even if you have to do it surreptitiously. And was long white socks with shorts when I played it. Great course!

I don’t want to ring up to check, and be told no, when the likelihood is we won’t be asked. If I’ve alerted them there’s no way back 😆

D

Deleted member 17920

I don’t want to ring up to check, and be told no, when the likelihood is we won’t be asked. If I’ve alerted them there’s no way back 😆
You won’t be asked.

Enjoy it and hope the weather is kinder than our forum meet visit ☔💨

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
That's exactly why I mentioned doing it surreptitiously! Perhaps ring and ask as if for a new booking and mention it then. It would be hugely frustrating going there and the guy not being allowed to play! I'm pretty sure they'd ok it, as only just outside the 'limit'.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played there multiple times and not once been asked for a HC cert - have had meets there etc with players over 20 HC and they haven’t ever asked for a HC cert

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Been fortunate to play it a couple of times

Never asked for a h'cap just follow pace of play and golfing etiquette

It's one of the greats enjoy every moment, and as has already been said, lunch! Oh and be sure to drop into the pro shop for a souvenir of two....

GBC

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, you have to have lunch, it's as good as lunch can get.

Our forum meets had a fair few players of wildly different handicaps and they are not really concerned how good you are - it's a more relaxed course than many you'll play.