Playing on your own

Saville85

Hacker
Visit site
So today my society let me down and our event was cancelled at the last minute. With the kids in childcare and the weather in good shape, I decided not to miss an opportunity to play and jumped on for 18 holes on my lonesome.

This is something I've never done before as I've always perceived golf as being a social experience as much a sporting one; catching up with friends, etc...

In fact playing golf alone is one of the reasons I've not joined a club before now as I've been worried about usage if playing partners were unavailable.

However today has opened my eyes and completely changed my perception on solo golf and I for one am a fan now (not all the time though)

My experience did make me wonder what the general perception on solo golf was and how many others regularly play a full 18 holes on their own?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Play most of my golf as a solo. Only time I play in a group is in comps and a couple other times a year me and a mate go play somewhere nice for a change.

Nothing wrong with play as a single, get out there and play more.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Variety variety variety

I enjoyed my golf the most when I participated in a wide range of games, comps, matches, alone, with regulars and with strangers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Solo golf is great when you have the course to yourself. Quite often that is the case at my place in the summer evenings. You can take your time, drop another ball but most of all you whizz round at your own pace. Playing with others is more fun but there are certainly advantages to going out on your own.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I play a lot of golf and most of it is with mates or competition, but I'm also more than happy on my own.
After work on an evening on my own is sometimes perfect. I love it.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
i probably play half my golf by myself mainly because i like to play at stupid o'clock in the morning! on Sunday i teed off at 4.30am. its was glorious sunny morning and i got to practice some of the shots that have been costing me shots.
on one of the holes i sat on the tee and watch the deer eating and on another i watched barn owls catching breakfast.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sometimes love to play golf on my own, I find it extreamly relaxing and if the course is quiet tend to be nice and slow. I also play my best golf on my own.

It's usually a last moment desission on a Sunday afternoon.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love playing solo. Especially if I can get out for 9, sometimes 18, after work. Helps me clear my head, relax a bit with my own thoughts.

My job pretty much involves talking to lots of people all the time, all day. It's just nice to have some quiet time by myself.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played golf on my own for 2 month due to a injury with my regular playing partner and I think its OK for the odd round or two but any more then that and I didnt like it , Felt too much just like a practise who cares round of golf

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I love it solo and I love it as a group.

Solo you can take time to practice, I'll often play one off the tee and as long as it's quiet drop another ball and play 2 into the green and putt 2.

As a group the social side is great and there's someone there to witness moments of brilliance. Nothing worse than hitting an epic shot and nobody's there to see it.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have to admit I purposely try to avoid playing with others, I have 3 work mates that play and we make up a 2/3/4 ball once every couple of weeks or so but other than that I'm on my own, I've got 5 kids and 1 grandson so as you can imagine I'm more than happy do 18 holes in utter silence although I will admit to talking to myself on the odd occasion, T'is great for cleansing your head of all the trash !...:thup:

Lontano

Hacker
Visit site
I always enjoy some solo golf in the late evening when winding down after a day at work. Normally I end up with the course to myself and it is a great experience and opportunity to try shots you might not normally get the chance to do in the Saturday comps etc.

Yesterday I had probably my best solo golf experience when I ended up playing 9 holes at Royal St Georges solo in the middle of the day. Not a soul to be seen on the course at the time and it was just magnificent. Thoroughly enjoyed the solitude of the dunes......

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have a playing partner and so often play rounds on my own, usually on a weekend afternoon or an evening. Course is usually fairly quiet at those times and so often play with two balls.

I equally enjoy playing in comps with, putting my name down where there is a spare space and I've got to know many around the club that way.