Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday and today. Yesterday scored 117 so thats what i scored on my first 18 holes but i now feel as if thats as bad as ill ever play. Even scored my first double digits a 12 on a par 5 ?
Played today with the Vice President so the pressure was on lol he was only playing the first 9. Scored 48 on the first 9 including 2 pars and was putting for birdie on both. Guy said ill shoot under 90 no problem soon. Ended up with a score of 101 today and after the 16th I added up my score and said im definitely getting under 100 today and had a terrible 17th and 18th but im definitely on the right direction.
Never add it up before the end! Lesson learned eh? :D

Visit site
Is
Played yesterday and today. Yesterday scored 117 so thats what i scored on my first 18 holes but i now feel as if thats as bad as ill ever play. Even scored my first double digits a 12 on a par 5 ?
Played today with the Vice President so the pressure was on lol he was only playing the first 9. Scored 48 on the first 9 including 2 pars and was putting for birdie on both. Guy said ill shoot under 90 no problem soon. Ended up with a score of 101 today and after the 16th I added up my score and said im definitely getting under 100 today and had a terrible 17th and 18th but im definitely on the right direction.
Take it that was with VP at club you joined? Where did you end up?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've noticed that.

It's all fine until the wheels come off, then the added pressure you put yourself under and thoughts don't help get you back on track!

I think its natural for newbie golfers to be obsessed with their scores and setting personal bests. Of course as we know, the closer to beating a target, say 100, the more pressure you put yourself under and more often than not the wheels come off. If I was starting over I would try and ignore keeping scores and learn to play the game especially from 100 yards and in and around the greens. I'd learn to play from up/down slopes and heavy rough and try and be as much of an all round golfer as I could get in the first 6 months

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How is he going to measure any progress without keeping score????
Of course he needs to be keeping score, that's the only true measure of your overall performance.

The issue with keeping scores is the way you can crumble once you know you are doing well. As I said if I was starting again I'd focus more on learning to play the game without the pressure of card and pencil. Hit it, learn to keep it in play, and learn how to score from around the greens. Once your competency improves then test yourself regularly and score and try and beat your best score each time

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is he going to measure any progress without keeping score????
Of course he needs to be keeping score, that's the only true measure of your overall performance.

Also you only learnt to deal with pressure by creating it.

It is a personal choice to keep score and look at it as you go.

The only time you don’t need to create pressure is when you want all that practice handling pressure to pay off.

D

Deleted member 1147

Of course he should keep score, but he has to learn to not let a bad scores ruin his day and define the rest of the round.

NedPizza

Visit site
View attachment 32489
Scored 92 today ? slowed my game down today. Usually i play really fast and noticed yesterday when i played with someone else, we played slower and i played very good. So tried that today and worked great. Another couple of pars and blew a 5ft put for a birdie. So next challenge is a bridie and to break 90

Nice one! time to get those new ping irons that you promised yourself.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Lol i am crazy competitive. I am playing everyday this week and will play probably everyday till i crack this. Wife always says i get obsessed with challenges

...in golf your definition of "crack it" changes as you improve, and the gap between your good score and bad score gets closer!! :)

If you are so score obsessed, what will happen when you miss out on your Tour card? Will you pack it in? (if you see what I mean.) Score is very important, but not necessarily all of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know, what is peoples end goal ? I would like to shoot par on the course dont know how realistic that is but i am fortunate enough i can play everyday. So imagine I’ll improve faster than your average player. Think now i want to get a handicap work on lowering it and start playing competitions
That was sort of my point. Golf is usually something you 'crack' you just keep playing and trying to improve, ha. If you do shoot par on a round would you just say you've completed golf and give it up then? :D