Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Playing at my mates course tomorrow. So this will be my first time on a course, what should i be aiming for score wise ? I am super competitive and love a challenge but have no idea what would be a decent score for a beginner.
Also had a lesson this morning just only working on my driver. Feel so much better now and will be using that a lot tomorrow. Hopefully i don't lose too many balls :LOL:
Good luck tomorrow as for scores don’t get to hung up on that but anything in the 100-140 range would be good for a beginner.

My first ever comp many moons ago I scored 163!!!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are two approaches:

1. Go out, have fun and play without limits, see what you can do and go with your gut.

2. Aim to bogey every hole, double bogey at worse. Play to slowly move the ball up the hole with an iron you can comfortably make decent progress with. All all times look to make make the game as easy as possible, it takes patience and trust.

Only you can decide which approach is best for you.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf is hard, I wouldn't set targets for the first game, just enjoy.

Be glad if you don't do an air short or lose the ball on the first tee (that's what I did:LOL:)

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Have fun, hit it go find it hit it again etc etc

Add them up afterwards with a beer, have a laugh at how many it is and then try and beat it the next time you play :)

This. This. And this again!

I'd give yourself 2 shots a hole, you should be able to reach most holes in 2 or 3 (with a wedge or 2 for comfort) hitting nothing longer than a 6/7 iron. Of course, hitting the big sticks is much more fun(!) but the scores come from the short grass.

Enjoy it. Have a laugh when royally bugger something up. it'll happen. Really enjoy the beers after, they'll be needed!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Blimey. Having spent that much before hitting an 18 holer you might be looking at single figures over par ?

But don’t ?

Just play the course one hole at a time. If you score rubbish on any hole then just forget it - and, no matter what, don’t try to play catch-up - things usually only get worse when you do. And if you score well on a hole don’t think you need to build on it. You don’t. You just need to play another hole as well as you can whilst enjoying yourself and laughing at yourself when you mess up. Others will pat you on the back when you play a good shot or score well on a hole.

Good luck - hope it goes with you...and simply enjoy your knock.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Lessons so far are £220
driving range £90
putter was £250
irons £180
3 wood £65
driver £50
60 wedge £20
golf bag £220
trolley £180
umbrella £40
shoes £80
trousers x2 £120
tops x5 £310
balls x60 £30
tees £5

total £1860
still need a umbrella holder for my trolley and a few hats and polos.
Wowser! Hope you take to golf otherwise that's a lot of gear to shift on :oops:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
My thoughts would be try to forget the overall score. Focus on enjoying any half decent shots. Maybe count the numbers of bogeys & double bogeys (par if lucky enough) and forget the rest.

I'm sure I was probably the same as a beginner and counted the big numbers, but if I did it again I'd do the above.

D

Deleted member 1740

Playing at my mates course tomorrow. So this will be my first time on a course, what should i be aiming for score wise ? I am super competitive and love a challenge but have no idea what would be a decent score for a beginner.
Also had a lesson this morning just only working on my driver. Feel so much better now and will be using that a lot tomorrow. Hopefully i don't lose too many balls :LOL:

Level Par should be the aim, if not what's the point?

I look forward to your blow by blow account.......just pray it's not as long as Fishys ??

D

Deleted member 1740

Lessons so far are £220
driving range £90
putter was £250
irons £180
3 wood £65
driver £50
60 wedge £20
golf bag £220
trolley £180
umbrella £40
shoes £80
trousers x2 £120
tops x5 £310
balls x60 £30
tees £5

total £1860
still need a umbrella holder for my trolley and a few hats and polos.

You'll struggle playing golf with a cheap set of clubs and wearing x2 trousers and 5x tops itll be very awkward......Good luck.

D

Deleted Member 1156

... if you are super competitive...

Shoot whatever you shoot tomorrow. It doesn't matter.

But what does matter is going lower that that next time!!
A smart person would chuck in a few duffs on purpose to make the next round easier ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d have thought that with your brilliant short game you’d be aiming for a very low score.