Playing in the rain

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Although we can play in Scotland, weather conditions have prevented me from playing at the weekend.
Well, yesterday the course was open so I went out, knowing the weather was going to get worse, which it did with strong winds and rain from halfway through the round. I played with a lad I knew to chat to but had played with him before.
The upshot was we both fully enjoyed the game despite the conditions. We had a good chat all the way round and didn't let the weather bother us at all. It was undoubtedly the fact it was good to get out again but it also gives a perspective on how important the right clothing is. From top to toe I was covered with what modern technology can offer.
  • Waterproof bucket hat
  • Waterproof jacket
  • Weather resistant lined trousers
  • Rain grip gloves
  • Waterproof socks
  • Waterproof shoes
As Billy Connolly said, there's no such thing as bad weather. Just the wrong clothes. Such was the protection that this train of thought only occurred to me when I got home.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah being prepared makes a huge difference. I think when you’re playing well in the rain (or in your case just enjoying being back) and especially with good company then it can be good craic. But in a comp if your score goes south it starts becoming a slog. Then even staying dry won’t stop the thoughts of the lovely warm pub over there ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm just missing the bucket hat. I know it makes sense but they just look bad. I know, the rest of me looks bad so why do I care, particularly as I doubt anyone else does? Something to buy this season I think.

Which one do you have @Robster59 ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly that wouldn't last long in the NE. The wind would have it away in no time ?.

I actually rarely use an umbrella on the course for the same reason. It's not often we get rain without a decent breeze.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Before I started wearing glasses, I didn't mind playing in the rain at all. Have never liked it when it's combined with strong winds, but rain on it's own was never really a problem.
Now I wear glasses, I hate it... might as well pack up and go home. I've tried contacts, can't get on with them.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I'm just missing the bucket hat. I know it makes sense but they just look bad. I know, the rest of me looks bad so why do I care, particularly as I doubt anyone else does? Something to buy this season I think.

I actually have two. A normal Callaway branded one
ahmYroG3QpO26jUfy-4j_zn6ZWaFVofISF_qQb6cKk1WtIPfRu4aOpPui5a7pb_ML33GuLm-fWEC0H-ocTtE7hyrEHuS87epBWHLjUkG_rYI6-rap98WRKP7xjMHHcJlgGucJj76AJsINshdjCSE_2TJg1YH

and a Galvin Green gore-tex one
galvin_green_aqua_gtx_waterproof_hat_g7686_77_black_3.jpg

I'm not too worried what it looks like as once I've got it on I don't have to look at it. ?
Anyway. I like hats ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Before I started wearing glasses, I didn't mind playing in the rain at all. Have never liked it when it's combined with strong winds, but rain on it's own was never really a problem.
Now I wear glasses, I hate it... might as well pack up and go home. I've tried contacts, can't get on with them.
Last year was the first I'd worn glasses on the course so I know where you are coming from. Being out all day in glaring sun and wearing glasses in the rain are the only reasons ever to wear a baseball cap - I've got one using space in my bag that I resent giving it just in case of rain.

For me the biggest game changer for playing in the rain is rain gloves that work well - I don't even bother trying to keep my clubs dry anymore - they are a recipe for freezing hands though.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year was the first I'd worn glasses on the course so I know where you are coming from. Being out all day in glaring sun and wearing glasses in the rain are the only reasons ever to wear a baseball cap - I've got one using space in my bag that I resent giving it just in case of rain.

For me the biggest game changer for playing in the rain is rain gloves that work well - I don't even bother trying to keep my clubs dry anymore - they are a recipe for freezing hands though.

Spot on. If it’s going to be filthy I have two pairs and switch after 9. If I still have a decent card in my hand that is ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's already chucking it down before I tee off I'm never that keen, but I don't mind getting caught in a shower when I'm out there. Like you I have some decent gear, a waterproof jacket, waterproof bucket hat, a rain glove so it doesn't matter it it gets wet. If I have my trolley I stick the umbrella up in the holder and hang a small towel up in the spokes as well to dry my hand on every now and then. Only thing I've never got is waterproof trousers, but as long as it isn't freezing I'd be wearing shorts, and my legs dry out quicker than trousers would.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I used to think that but then I figured the only time I wear it is out on the golf course in the pouring rain, so I doubt anyone's going to be occupied by what my headwear looks like. I actually bought the Tribord sailing one from Decathlon. Fully waterproof and has the tie-up toggle you can do up under your chin if it's windy. It's also floppy enough to stuff in the golf bag the rest of the time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have a galvin green one .
But get the one with a longer brim at the back ( Sunderland I think do one as well) as sometimes the rain gets down my neck.
It’s better than a brolly that just get your hands wet.
I think for most of us on here it’s not a fashion show any more it’s about practability.;);)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is why I had laser surgery.
Glasses are just a pain in the rain constantly drying them out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a galvin green one .
But get the one with a longer brim at the back ( Sunderland I think do one as well) as sometimes the rain gets down my neck.
It’s better than a brolly that just get your hands wet.
I think for most of us on here it’s not a fashion show any more it’s about practability.;);)
I know. I've never been fashionable or cared, when it is raining especially so. There is something about those hats though.........

I have quite a large head and Sunderland seem to do a L/XL rather than just a universal size (UA it is not universal if it doesn't fit my head :mad:). I will probably go for one of theirs on that basis.

D

Deleted member 16999

I know. I've never been fashionable or cared, when it is raining especially so. There is something about those hats though.........

I have quite a large head and Sunderland seem to do a L/XL rather than just a universal size (UA it is not universal if it doesn't fit my head :mad:). I will probably go for one of theirs on that basis.
Mate, Sealskinz is your friend, way better than a bucket hat and they do “huge” head size;)

https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-head-gaitor

Robster59

Tour Rookie

I have a big head as well and "one size fits all" certainly doesn't work for me. I quite like the one from Decathlon. It'll probably work well like most of their stuff. As has been said above, the beauty of these hats is you don't get water running down the back of your neck. The only thing that can be off-putting is the water dripping off the brim as I'm putting. Other than that, I wouldn't be without it now.
The Galvin Green with the big brim at the back I admit does look odd when I see other people wearing them but once it's on, the benefits exceed the aesthetic concerns.
I don't use umbrellas as I find them too much faff and our course it gets too windy, so they tend to get blown around too easily.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wow. Not sure I could not show my face in that. Or swing in it.

The waterproof cap is interesting though
No different to wearing a beanie and a snood, except this is combined, can be worn just as a neck(snood) and pulled up if it rains. 100% waterproof.

No restriction or impact on my swing.?‍♂️