Playing in my first large scale roll up tomorrow

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
And I am a little apprehensive as there are a lot of very low handicappers in the group.

I know I shouldn't be as it is social but at the moment I am struggling to get back to my old form and I'm currently hitting 100+. This is mainly because I am losing so many balls in the rough at my course and then mis-hitting or hitting short trying to get back out.

I used to be able to drive off OK and not be too far left or right but at the moment I am just not consistent. I will hit a lovely straight tee shot then on the next I'll hook or slice so then I play for the hook/slice and I either exacerbate it or duff it so every hole I set up straight and hope! The rest of my lost strokes is really just down to a few duffed shots and too many 3 putts.

I know my form will come back and I have improved a lot since I returned to the game mid April after a very long lay off and I have also booked a lesson but it is a bit chicken and egg to get better I have to play more golf and join in but at the same time I don't want to P... anyone off.

I am not a slow player but as a low handicapper do you get p.... off when you end up drawn with a higher handicapper like me and you have to wait for them as they tack their way up to the hole.

Thanks

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find a club to hit off the tee that finds fairways, could be a 3 wood, could be a 5 iron.

If you have 300 left hit two 150 yard shots, 250 hit two 125 yard shots.

This keeps you out of the rough and under the radar.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually you will find most low handicaps more patient IMHO and experience, after all we have been higher and needed support also.

Don't try to keep up with the big boys just hit that fairway even if your 50 yards behind,remember you have shots on each hole they will not.

Play your own game,they will definitely play theirs.
Remember to enjoy yourself it really is the most important part.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Roll ups are all about fun. Some people on here treat them as major competitions and set their sights on winning them but they are just for laughs. Relax, enjoy and afterwards you will either have the mickey taken out of you or you will be taking the mickey out of someone else. Either way, you will probably spend all next week wishing your life away until Saturday when you can do it all again. :thup:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As said, just have fun. If you are worried about chopping it round, don't. Everyone has off days. Make sure you pick up when out of hole and the usual stuff, don't spend "too long" looking for balls in places where there are never found.

Many Clubs are bending over backwards to get new members, so remember that!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played in a few roll-ups when I started playing to get cards signed to get my first handicap. Everyone was fine and patient.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play in two weekend roll ups. Both have a wide range of handicaps from guys off 2 and 3 up to 27 and 28. We draw the balls randomly and there is no handicap snobbery. Everyone goes out for a good morning, and as long as pace of play is fine then there are rarely any gripes. As far as the OP goes, just focus on your own game, work hard to get the form back and I'm sure it won't be long before you're competing for the pot of money

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback.

There was a good turn out some were off scratch all the way up to a 27 and of course me. I got drawn in the last group got teamed up with and 8 and a 12 H/C.

I played the first few holes terrible mainly because I was nervous but also because my driver has been working for me but I thought it safer to tee of with my 3 wood as I was hitting it ok on the range. I was hitting them all over the place to the point that I picked up on 3. I went back to my driver on the 4th and I hit a good drive and then again on the 5th so I started to settle a down a bit but Irons were letting me down especially out of the rough.

I was getting on (I thought) quite well with my PP and around the tenth I asked one of them outright does it wind you up when you have a high handicapper come along and tack their way up the fairway. His reply with a wry smile was if you play like that and are slow then people will not want to play with you.

Towards the latter part of the round I settled down a lot and had a few friendly drives with the 8 H/c over a couple of holes and also hit a gross par on two holes.

Anyway even with my rough patch I kept up with the pace of play, didn't embarrass myself too much, handed my first card in and I am looking forward to next week.

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback.

There was a good turn out some were off scratch all the way up to a 27 and of course me. I got drawn in the last group got teamed up with and 8 and a 12 H/C.

I played the first few holes terrible mainly because I was nervous but also because my driver has been working for me but I thought it safer to tee of with my 3 wood as I was hitting it ok on the range. I was hitting them all over the place to the point that I picked up on 3. I went back to my driver on the 4th and I hit a good drive and then again on the 5th so I started to settle a down a bit but Irons were letting me down especially out of the rough.

I was getting on (I thought) quite well with my PP and around the tenth I asked one of them outright does it wind you up when you have a high handicapper come along and tack their way up the fairway. His reply with a wry smile was if you play like that and are slow then people will not want to play with you.

Towards the latter part of the round I settled down a lot and had a few friendly drives with the 8 H/c over a couple of holes and also hit a gross par on two holes.

Anyway even with my rough patch I kept up with the pace of play, didn't embarrass myself too much, handed my first card in and I am looking forward to next week.

Cheers

Thought that reply was a little prickly although I guess it depends on the context he said it in and how wry that smile was. As long as you keep up with the group ahead, don't hold the PP's up the you don't have a problem. We have some old guys off high handicaps and they do tack their way up a hole but as long as we're not losing ground no-one in our roll ups really care. As long as everyone is enjoying their golf, and pace of play is good I don't care how a player gets from the tee to holing out