Playing Golf in Strong Winds?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I quite enjoy the challenge of playing golf in the wind, mind you I get plenty of practice.

Not played golf up your part of the word but have experienced the wind. One camping holiday many moons ago my folks decided that it would be a good idea to plonk or frame tent above the cliffs at Durness - not far from Smoo Cave I guess. During the night the wind got up. With tent poles bending scarily we had to get out of bed and triple guy the windward side - it was rather frightening the wind was sooo powerful. We didn't really sleep that night. Golf would have been fun.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I will be praying for high winds on Saturday. Giving 15 shots in the winter knockout 1/4 final.

There is always a 1 or 2 club wind at our place and its a fun challenge when it really blows - definitely would get wearing if that was the norm though.

Prey he doesn't have the round of his life then;)

Same happened to me a few years ago had a tie against a guy i was having to give 12 shots too, he didn't want to play one bit, tried to re arrange but i dragged him out in very very windy day, he shot a Gross 70 something as it was a Strokeplay match off 22. He got a massive cut. Saw the guy a couple of weeks ago and he's back up to the same handicap and has never shot within 10 shots of that score since:)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I was out for 18 holes around Monifieth Medal this afternoon - 35mph wind gusting to 50mph - Played to one over my handicap despite considering walking in after playing the first into the wind hole - enjoyed it a lot but hoping it's not as breezy on Sunday.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today nine hole comp and it looks like I could of won it with 17 points. Thing is I had 11 points after 5 holes blobbed next two then pared 8 and 9. The flipping wind was north south east and west.

played the back nine and shot another 15 points to finish with 32 points. It was the best ave played for a good bit but had some horrendous holes which al put down to bad strokes and not the wind. Really did enjoy it in the wind today.

John

Club Champion
Visit site
It's usually windy here so when it isn't I tend to shoot much better scores. Quite enjoy the challenge but at times its been laughable, struggling to carry 160 with a driver over a valley on one course that is very high and quite exposed is stupid.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I won our society captains day at north shore last year on a windy day! Playing off 21 I grossed 88 and won the stable ford by 8 clear points,!

Even got a birdie 2 on the 'nearest the pin' when no-one else even made the green!!!

Consequently they have cut me to 17 for this year!

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I always rub my hands together with delight as I know 90% of the field will not be able to hack it, and if I can keep myself in the 10% that can I've a super chance of sneaking the silverware. People don't seem to realise that a few over par/handicap can still be pretty good scoring.

Couldn't have put it better myself, my thoughts are exactly this!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit the range on Monday. Ball being blown 15-20 yards offline. I know they are range balls but hardly productive. Can't see any point working on the game in those conditions. Looks bleak out there again today

Last edited:

John

Club Champion
Visit site
Hit the range on Monday. Ball being blown 15-20 yards offline. I know they are range balls but hardly productive. Can't see any point working on the game in those conditions. Looks bleak out there again today

I can't be bothered with the range when it's blowing either. It can be useful if you know your game/shot shape but if your working on changes its a waste of time. First time in a few weeks it wasn't blowing a gale yesterday (for about 4 hours...) that I realised I'm hitting my driver straight.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wanted to revive this thread as Ive just moved and my new home course is a very exposed links.

First 3 rounds here have been in really strong wind (up to 50mph according to the met app) so while ive enjoyed it, it just seems like a lottery (well struck shots going half their usual distance, balls getting blown on green when putting etc).

How do others cope with this? Do you just set realistic expectations and get on with it? or just not enjoy it/avoid?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wanted to revive this thread as Ive just moved and my new home course is a very exposed links.

First 3 rounds here have been in really strong wind (up to 50mph according to the met app) so while ive enjoyed it, it just seems like a lottery (well struck shots going half their usual distance, balls getting blown on green when putting etc).

How do others cope with this? Do you just set realistic expectations and get on with it? or just not enjoy it/avoid?

Just tend to deal with it….surely you knew what you were getting yourself In for by joining a Links course? You’ll have to work on knockdown shots, and varying your ball flights. I often find playing downwind is harder…

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A strong breeze is bearable but some of the winds I've played in just make the game a lottery.
Having your trolley blowing over multiple times and it being almost impossible to hole a short putt are not fun.
Earlier this year, my pals heavy electric trolley and large bag blew up a slight slope, across a tee and onto the rocky beach. Result, one snapped shaft on his driver. ?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Being a member of a links course, if I was like some on here and wasn't prepared to play in the wind, I would only play a handful of rounds a year!!

It's a rare day at Fleetwood for there to be no wind!! I find it enjoyable as long as its not over , say, 30 mph, you just have to embrace it and accept there will be good holes downwind, and brutes where you need 4 or 5 more clubs than you would in benign conditions. Putting is often the hardest part when its really windy.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
170 club going 120 into the teeth after a well struck shot today, its fine.its just golf

just take more club and accept it might mean an extra shot to get home.... And then look forward to the monster drives when you turn the corner, I 'gained' 30 yards with my 8 iron ?

TigerBear

Visit site
Love links golf and although I rarely score well when the wind is right up I do enjoy the challenge and having to think my way around the course and the elements with shots (attempted stingers) that you don't normally play.

Played Kingsbarns one year with 45mph gusts...impossible!o_O:ROFLMAO:

AliMc

Visit site
A strong breeze is bearable but some of the winds I've played in just make the game a lottery.
Having your trolley blowing over multiple times and it being almost impossible to hole a short putt are not fun.
Earlier this year, my pals heavy electric trolley and large bag blew up a slight slope, across a tee and onto the rocky beach. Result, one snapped shaft on his driver. ?
I love playing in the wind, would much rather play in a 15 to 20 mph wind than flat clam but you're right sometimes it's just so windy that it's almost impossible, one of the things about being an exposed links I suppose

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Being a member of a links course, if I was like some on here and wasn't prepared to play in the wind, I would only play a handful of rounds a year!!

It's a rare day at Fleetwood for there to be no wind!! I find it enjoyable as long as its not over , say, 30 mph, you just have to embrace it and accept there will be good holes downwind, and brutes where you need 4 or 5 more clubs than you would in benign conditions. Putting is often the hardest part when its really windy.

Thing is links courses are normally a fairer test to play in the wind i find