Playing golf and wearing headphones and playing music

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
never done it myself but realised how dangerous it is last night!! was walking though the kings last night and saw i guy i know playing on his own as i got nearer you could hear the music he was listening too. a
a shout of four came from another fairway and the ball landed about 10 ft behind him, he had no idea, next guy hits and almost hit him again and no idea he had almost been taken out twice.

anyones club have rules about this type of thing, ive never heard of any and you do see guys on their own doing this quite often

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I never heard of people listening to music on the course but in the Arccos user group on facebook a lot of people celebrating the new Link and that now you can track your shots and listening to music. They seem to be a lot of them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's specified under club/golf rules, as it would fall under 'common sense'. I wonder if he did get hit and it went to court, would the fact he couldn't hear the fore shout be a mitigating factor?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's specified under club/golf rules, as it would fall under 'common sense'. I wonder if he did get hit and it went to court, would the fact he couldn't hear the fore shout be a mitigating factor?
He wouldn’t be able to argue, he would be torn to shreds. It is dangerous and should be only on the practice ground if you want to do it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose its sim to listening to music while cycling, you are not really supposed to, but you see plenty who do

Rebuteo

Visit site
When playing alone I sometimes have 1 earbud in with music for the exact purpose of being able to hear shouts, isn't a problem with one ear free and the volume at an appropriate level.

At the range I'll wear both.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are rules og golf about wearing headphones eg if you do it to cut out other distractions then you are not allowed to wear them

I would be interested about the Arccos thing because if are using them to help you play you are not allowed to wear them

• Not Allowed.

• Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or
Clubs are allowed a specific LR prohibiting their use

Model Local Rule G-8

"Rule 4.3a(4) is modified in this way: During a round, a player must not listen to or watch content of any nature on a personal audio or video device.

Penalty for Breach of Local Rule - see Rule 4.3."

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When playing alone I sometimes have 1 earbud in with music for the exact purpose of being able to hear shouts, isn't a problem with one ear free and the volume at an appropriate level.

At the range I'll wear both.

I'm similar, very rare I listen but when I do it will be late evening when course is very quiet. Just keep aware of my surroundings - always low volume, one ear free unless I'm on holes which don't have adjoining fairways. I'd say that the risk is extremely low then - it's a miniscule risk that you'll get hit and I reduce it further by being able to hear a shout on holes which may present an issue.

I just wouldn't listen and play at busy times for the course.

D

Deleted member 16999

i suppose its sim to listening to music while cycling, you are not really supposed to, but you see plenty who do
Depends on the type of earphones, Aftershokz are bone conducting and allow you to continue to “hear things” while listening to music. Use mine when running, cycling and sometimes on the course when by myself.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not something I do often on the course and I think the guy in the OP would have little comeback had he been hit and due warning shouts had been given. I do listen to music or my tour tempo app at the range.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There are rules og golf about wearing headphones eg if you do it to cut out other distractions then you are not allowed to wear them

I would be interested about the Arccos thing because if are using them to help you play you are not allowed to wear them

• Not Allowed.

• Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or
Clubs are allowed a specific LR prohibiting their use

Model Local Rule G-8

"Rule 4.3a(4) is modified in this way: During a round, a player must not listen to or watch content of any nature on a personal audio or video device.

Penalty for Breach of Local Rule - see Rule 4.3."

It's hardly an issue if a guy is just out for a solo round on a Tuesday night though. Would need to be a club rule for all play.

Listening to music on the course has never interested me, but I'm amazed at how much of a cultural thing it is in the US. Folk will have bluetooth speakers attached to their bag or golf cart and a lot of rental carts will even have bluetooth speakers built in.

I guess one of those things, like drinking on the course is a far more normal thing over there, than here.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends on the type of earphones, Aftershokz are bone conducting and allow you to continue to “hear things” while listening to music. Use mine when running, cycling and sometimes on the course when by myself.

i do see lots with headphones on while out on my bike, not come across anyone who has been able to hear anything with them though, i have a bell on my bike and pretty much every runner/ walker i come across from behind doesn't hear me even with the thing ringing away. I'd imagine it makes what ever you are doing while wearing them more enjoyable, but i don't think its that safe in certain situations

D

Deleted member 16999

i do see lots with headphones on while out on my bike, not come across anyone who has been able to hear anything with them though, i have a bell on my bike and pretty much every runner/ walker i come across from behind doesn't hear me even with the thing ringing away. I'd imagine it makes what ever you are doing while wearing them more enjoyable, but i don't think its that safe in certain situations
The Aftershokz are great, absolutely no issue hearing voices or whatever else while wearing them.
Nothing will ever be perfect, people with nothing on their ears seem to go in to a world of their own when you approach them while on a bike or running.:)

sunshine

Visit site
I can understand why people use headphones when running or rowing. Whereas I can understand why it would be nice to listen to music while on a long cycle, wearing headphones while cycling on the road is exceptionally dumb, I guess some of these people will be candidates for a Darwin award for removing themselves from the gene pool.

Wearing headphones when practising on the range falls into the same category as running or rowing, music reduces the monotony, but I really don't understand why anyone would feel the need on the course. There is so much to appreciate out on the course there is really no need for the extra stimulus of music.

As for the Americans with their blue tooth speakers, those buggies need clear signs in big letters stating "for use by morons only".