Playing from deep/heavy sand

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
On another thread I referred to the fact that most of the bunkers on our course don't have much sand in and I generally don't have many problems with shots from these, using a 58 or 56 degree wedge with 8 degrees of bounce I can open the face and slide the club under the ball and get good results.

However we have some new bunkers which have very deep and fairly heavy sand. When it's at all wet it is really heavy and horrible. I am really struggling with these. Often leaving the ball in which I never normally do on the other bunkers or only just managing to get the ball over the lip.

Anyone out there play from these sorts of bunkers regularly and has any advice? Is it technique or should I add a sandwedge with more bounce (12/13/14) to my bag?

Many thanks

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have the same problem with my sandwedge only having 8 degree of bounce. Bought another one with 14 degrees which I use when the bunkers are heavy, with better results. Trouble with a lot of courses, mine included, is that sand is variable in bunkers. Perhaps we need to carry two sandwedges ?:)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don’t think you need any more than 1 sand wedge.

At my club we have very deep pot bunkers (check out the photo’s I look the other week) I have a 56 /10 and that works fine out of soft sand. If it’s hard compacted I use my gap wedge 51/5 and play it like a normal chip, it must be technique.

You should be splashing the ball out like it’s a fried egg.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try to pick the ball off the top more. If you normally enter the sand, say 2" behind the ball. Hit 1" or less behind the ball. Think that should do the trick.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Bob, I have a feeling that maybe I do have the ball nearer the centre of my stance. I watched the Luke Donald masterclass on the Mizuno site and noticed he has the ball quite far forward with his hands level or even a bit behind the ball. I would imagine having the ball more forward means a shallower angle of attack and would stop the club digging in to the sand. Is that right?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
"I would imagine having the ball more forward means a shallower angle of attack and would stop the club digging in to the sand."

You're not as daft as you look :)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Bob!

I'll try to get down to the club this weekend and find a nice deep part of the practice bunker and try with the ball a bit more forward. I think I also need to accelerate through the shot more as well. With the tighter bunkers there's no sand to cushion the club head so every shot is very delicate and I think that makes it harder for me to really get a feel for swinging through the deeper heavier stuff.

If that isn't enough on it's own I can always try the deeper bounce option. I think I might have an old one in my bag of retired clubs.

Once again thanks to all who have offered suggestions.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
of course mashie remember to open the face, that increases the bounce without having to buy a new club, keep the hands accelerating through and you will have no issues, slow down or let the club overtake the hands and your in deep doo doo

look here http://youtu.be/H2Q9GEd3MkU

Last edited: