Playing format.

CharlesHJ

Visit site
Please help !
I am due to take 6 mixed couples to france next week. Has anyone got a formula which guarantees that each man plays opposite a different man over 5 games,whilst also playing with a different lady each day,and his male companion also playing with a different partner each day?

B

birdieman

CharlesHJ,
I had a play at this on a spreadsheet. Give each man a letter A-F, and each woman a number 1-6.

The five games will be paired thus-

game 1 - A1+B2, C3+D4, E5+F6.
game 2 - A4+C6, B1+E3, D5+F2
game 3 - A2+D6, B3+F5, C1+E4
game 4 - A3+E6, B5+D1, C2+F4
game 5 - A6+F1, B4+C5, D3+E2

This will ensure each man will play with a different female partner and different male opponent each game. He will see the same female in his group of 4 more than once but on the opposing team. I dont believe you can better this!!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's a format which allows everyone to play with everyone (at some point). It probably has various names but I know it as "Dime Golf"

Four players. Each player tees off. The two drives which end up furthest left play together for the rest of the hole as a team. Same with the two balls which are furthest right. So you never know who you are playing with until after you have driven.

Scoring is as follows. Say the individual scores of the 2 players on the left are a 5 and a 6. Then their team score is 56 on that hole (take the lower score 1st). Say the 2 on the right score a 4 and a 7. Their score is 47. They win by 9. Each winning team-mate gets 9 points on that hole. Keep the score for each individual player. Go onto the next hole and start again. Continue for 18 holes until you find an individual winner.

If you have an NR on a hole it counts as a 9. You can play nett scores if you want.

I once tried this format when I was having a bit of a mare off the tee and my 3 playing partners were trying to drive as far away from my drives as possible so as to avoid being on my team for that hole !!

Great fun. You end up playing as a team-mate with everyone else in the group at some point during the round and the pressure on some putts can be intense.