Playing alone.

grinnell27

Visit site
Hi All,

Just wondered how many of you guys play alone on the course? My best friend plays sometimes with me, maybe 1-2 times a month but that's it, I play the rest of the time by myself, I don't mind it but it would be nice to play with a partner sometimes.
My main issue is that my best friend is a member of the 9 hole course at my club while im a member of the 18 hole, obviously I can play for free on the 9 but he has to pay to play on the 18 which also can be a pain.

I often play 2 balls as long as its not busy which is good because I can play different type of shots etc.
Do you find your better alone or in a pair/group etc.

Im quite dedicated at the moment trying to constantly improve my game so im playing 18 holes 1-2 times a week and 9 holes another day, so 3 times a week. Hes not as commited as me which is fine because not everyone is obviously.
My other friends play on another course but that an additional £700 a year!! So im not willing to pay that.

Just curious on your thoughts.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Play with friends weekends and evenings but if i'm preparing for a match I like to play alone and get uninterrupted on course practice.

I play very often on my own in the mornings but thats because nobody else fancies meeting me at the course at 5.00am, love a round before work.

grinnell27

Visit site
Play with friends weekends and evenings but if i'm preparing for a match I like to play alone and get uninterrupted on course practice.

I play very often on my own in the mornings but thats because nobody else fancies meeting me at the course at 5.00am, love a round before work.

Ive never thought about playing in the mornings before! But I have kids so probably not easy, I tend to play around 6.30-7pm in the week. I feel it is good alone because like you said its good practice without interruptions.

Most of my golf is alone other than medals on a sat, I don't mind it so much, can get a bit boring sometimes

Yeah I enjoy it because I love golf but it sometimes is lonely, I do sometimes join another single player which is a nice change.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it clears the head. You can say what you like and sometimes mentally put things to bed. And wander about finding piggin' loads of golf balls. (y):giggle:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi All,

Just wondered how many of you guys play alone on the course? My best friend plays sometimes with me, maybe 1-2 times a month but that's it, I play the rest of the time by myself, I don't mind it but it would be nice to play with a partner sometimes.
My main issue is that my best friend is a member of the 9 hole course at my club while im a member of the 18 hole, obviously I can play for free on the 9 but he has to pay to play on the 18 which also can be a pain.

I often play 2 balls as long as its not busy which is good because I can play different type of shots etc.
Do you find your better alone or in a pair/group etc.

Im quite dedicated at the moment trying to constantly improve my game so im playing 18 holes 1-2 times a week and 9 holes another day, so 3 times a week. Hes not as commited as me which is fine because not everyone is obviously.
My other friends play on another course but that an additional £700 a year!! So im not willing to pay that.

Just curious on your thoughts.
ask the club about finding people to play with Roll ups etc, or even put a notice on the board seeking Playing partners, there may be other guys in the same boat.

personally i would much rather play with someone and have a meaningful game, buggering around on your own isn't much fun

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I love to play 9 holes by myself in the evening after work. I also enjoy playing with others, but those evening rounds are special, because they allow me to move around at my own pace and basically just walk off any stress/discomfort/boredom I might have felt during the workday. Also they are really completely pressure free, because it absolutely does not matter if I play well or not when there is no one around to see it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rarely ever play on my own, partly because I don't drive so usually get a lift to the course with a mate. But on occasions when I have played alone, I quite like it, you can play at a good pace without waiting for anyone which usually means I play well. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, a golf is all about banter with your fellow players, but it's nice for a practise every now and then. Obviously when you're on your own you're more free to retake shots, play two balls on tricky par 3s, throw an extra ball in the bunker for practise, and so on.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was out first thing this morning playing solo as usual. Some banter with the greenkeepers as usual but still focused on getting the best score I could. And I was round in just over two hours. Of course only hitting 65 shots in all helped :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cant stand playing alone, you lose all your natural ryhthm.
As regards solo playing 2 balls, my club doesnt allow practising on the course by which they mean playing more than 1 ball. All playing 2 balls does is leave areas of multiple divots which aren't good for anyone.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I play on my own all the time partly due to lack of playing partners but partly due to lack of time/ability to plan.

I've got two young kids and work long hours so time at home is precious. If I get a spare couple of hours at the weekend I can jump in the car, get to the course, play nine and be home in about two hours which works for me and lets me fit it in without having to arrange a tee time, meet people at the course etc...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I played solo when not a member of a club (& standard of play was pretty embarrassing) but while it can still be embarrassing I rarely play solo these and would much rather hit the range if I can't pair up with a mate for a game

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cant stand playing alone, you lose all your natural ryhthm.
As regards solo playing 2 balls, my club doesnt allow practising on the course by which they mean playing more than 1 ball. All playing 2 balls does is leave areas of multiple divots which aren't good for anyone.
How's that? I find the opposite. Waiting for other people to play potentially loses my rhythm. If I can just walk up to my ball, hit in my own time and move on then that's perfect for rhythm.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I often play on my own but then I am a miserable sod and can be very unsociable!
You might struggle to find someone who disagrees..:p

I've played a lot of solo golf down the years and I find it quite relaxing. I can try things I might not try at other times, replay a shot as long as I'm not holding up the course and generally take my mind off the hook for a couple of hours..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How's that? I find the opposite. Waiting for other people to play potentially loses my rhythm. If I can just walk up to my ball, hit in my own time and move on then that's perfect for rhythm.
Because as youre playing with other people, you dont walk up to your ball, hit it, walk on, hit it, walk on. You walk to your ball, possibly play depending on those youre playing with, maybe walk a little allowing others to play theirs.
To me it'slike being at the range, you end up getting quicker and quicker and lose your own natural rhythm

Last edited:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My hands are tied really. Play alone most of time because I’m not a member and my two golf buddies live too far away. We only occasionally meet up.

Don’t mind playing on own but do prefer playing with friends.