Playing alone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because as youre playing with other people, you dont walk up to your ball, hit it, walk on, hit it, walk on. You walk to your ball, possibly play depending on those youre playing with, maybe walk a little allowing others to play theirs.
To me it'slike being at the range, you end up getting quicker and quicker and lose your own natural rhythm
Fair enough, everyone's different. I play my best golf when I don't have to wait around for any reason.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If on my own will only play 9 holes then an hour practicing, I enjoy this.
But play with anyone who’s there really that keeps it interesting to meet people.

I can play anytime I want so if just turning up I enjoy playing solo
.We can hit two balls off a tee (not par 3s) but only one to the green.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I was out first thing this morning playing solo as usual. Some banter with the greenkeepers as usual but still focused on getting the best score I could. And I was round in just over two hours. Of course only hitting 65 shots in all helped :)
Rough 9 holes.... :p

D

Deleted member 1147

I thoroughly enjoy playing a few holes in the evening on my own - put my earphones in and wonder about casually hitting a couple of balls and generally chilling out on the course, hitting extra chips and putts from different positions.

JGolfer

Visit site
Play one day a week with my regular PP. Other than that it's pretty much always starting out alone. Most of the time I'll be behind someone else on their own or catch them up. And end up finishing the round together always end up having a pint afterwards in those scenarios.

Side note there is a 9 hole course and an 18. Sometimes I'll pop onto the 9 for some iron work og an evening, I always see a young lad must be around 12 or 13 with his mum pulling his trolley,always around 7pm ish.Love seeing stuff like that. Got talking to them and mentioned to his mum how nice it is to see. She said he doesn't have anybody his age who is interested in golf. Mentioned she is surprising him by getting lessons to play with him. Told her if they ever see me to come over and I'll go round with them.

10/10 for that mum taking time out of her day.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played last night on my own but my other half loves walking round looking at the wildlife. So I play alone in a way, but do have a 'caddy' too...perfect!

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
It depends what you want to get out of your golf. I find playing on my own i give up to easy. To easy to throw another ball down and try again which is great and all but youll not be comp ready if your just going about throwing balls all over the place practising shots. You need to be able to hit that shot on command. If there is no competition and no pressure to make shots then I dont find it very beneficial to my game.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Occasionally play alone. Means I can sometimes use 'illegal' stuff e.g. alignment sticks or a putting mirror without impacting anyone else - better than a few boring hours at the Driving Range.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I find 18 holes in the evening after work on my own a thoroughly cathartic experience allowing me to unwind perfectly.

If I want to not enjoy my self then I'll play a two ball worse ball scramble with myself.....hit two balls, pick the worst one and play two from that position, pick the worst ball.etc etc etc. Can be a real killer when you stiff one from 100yards and then have to repeat it....or drain that 30 footer and realise it counts for sod all!!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What I am planning to do more of, but probably after the Royal Ascot meet and the mayhem that causes is to play nine holes in full competition mode. I want to play one shot, pick my target, and start to visualise better and really work on the way I think my way around the course. As I play my home course regularly I think I get too blase even in competitions and need to find a better focus

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
It's what I do most of the time I play.

Originally started with a mate who has since cleared off traveling with no return in site so I've carried on and join a club. Have a couple of mates at different clubs I meet sometimes, normally at a neutral course.

Find it great for stress relief after a week at work.

Often leave my phone in the car glove compartment and have 3 hours away from everything 👍

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons why I have all but given up playing golf is that I found myself nearly always playing alone.
At one time I had about a half dozen PP's. Then through death, redundancy and lack of funds, I ended up with none.
Another problem with getting old is that you get more and more isolated and the next health issue you have to deal with may be your last.
Golf, being a metaphor for life reflects life's natural progression which is Darwinian. You get discarded with time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons why I have all but given up playing golf is that I found myself nearly always playing alone.
At one time I had about a half dozen PP's. Then through death, redundancy and lack of funds, I ended up with none.
Another problem with getting old is that you get more and more isolated and the next health issue you have to deal with may be your last.
Golf, being a metaphor for life reflects life's natural progression which is Darwinian. You get discarded with time.
You're a barrel of laughs you!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
I only play golf to get out with my mates. I don’t mind the occasional game by myself if the course is quiet and I can blast round but to play myself that often as OP is I would find soul crushing

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
I play on an evening on my own after work. Take a Bluetooth speaker or headphones and the boredom will soon disappear. I see loads of people doing this at our course...