Playing a provisional ball when previous ball thought to be lost in a water hazard

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just call them hazards.
Why change the name.
I am sure the word hazard must exist in other languages
The change was designed to differentiate more, within the rules and therefore in people's minds, between bunkers and penalty areas. People were confused by having different options between things that were both linked previously under the term hazard.
The further changes to what were water hazards, previously defined both in terms of what constituted a water hazard, a lateral water hazard as well as how they should be marked into (pretty much) mark what you like as penalty areas, with the appropriate options being provided by the colour of the markings used, is also considerable. So they have drawn a line under the previous designation to help people recognise there are changes.

I completely agree that, if starting from scratch with no history, hazard, or hazard area, would be a better term than penalty area (there being no penalty associated with playing your ball from within one) but I also believe that they were right to drop the term because of it's previous associations.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The change was designed to differentiate more, within the rules and therefore in people's minds, between bunkers and penalty areas. People were confused by having different options between things that were both linked previously under the term hazard.
The further changes to what were water hazards, previously defined both in terms of what constituted a water hazard, a lateral water hazard as well as how they should be marked into (pretty much) mark what you like as penalty areas, with the appropriate options being provided by the colour of the markings used, is also considerable. So they have drawn a line under the previous designation to help people recognise there are changes.

I completely agree that, if starting from scratch with no history, hazard, or hazard area, would be a better term than penalty area (there being no penalty associated with playing your ball from within one) but I also believe that they were right to drop the term because of it's previous associations.
Yes but I always call a bunker a bunker I think hazard has come from people watching golf on US tv.
Like hitting the PIN instead of flag.
Is it the hole or the cup.
People will call them what goes locally with the accent.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but I always call a bunker a bunker I think hazard has come from people watching golf on US tv.
Like hitting the PIN instead of flag.
Is it the hole or the cup.
People will call them what goes locally with the accent.

Or maybe it's come from the definition in the rule book all these years....

"Bunker

A "bunker" is a hazard consisting of a prepared area of ground, often a hollow, from which turf or soil has been removed and replaced with sand or the like."

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw a young pro playing at our club pick a ball up off a tee as he thought he had to take relief.

I know for quite a few years that a lot of clubs had this (incorrectly ) as a local rule. Often seen on newly opened courses in the 80s/90s. I played one course that had an unbelievable number of non allowable local rules clearly bought in by new owners who clearly knew very little about the rules of golf.