Playing a match starting from the 11th tee?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
(Note that our course naturally falls into Front 10 holes and back 8. The standard alternative starting hole is the 11th, not the 10th)

Like many, I have been struggling to play knockout match due to course closure.
Due to work, the next possible date we can play is after the ladies' weekly comp later this week (assuming course of open again)
For various reasons the ladies' field will be starting later than usual, but only playing front 10. This means we might not be able to start until well after 12 oclock.

Could we play match, starting from the 10th to ensure we get round in daylight?

I would check with Captain and Proshop to see if they are ok with this.

The other problem is that I am giving 8 shots and obviously they will now fall at different places in the round if we start ftom the 11th.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
(Note that our course naturally falls into Front 10 holes and back 8. The standard alternative starting hole is the 11th, not the 10th)

Like many, I have been struggling to play knockout match due to course closure.
Due to work, the next possible date we can play is after the ladies' weekly comp later this week (assuming course of open again)
For various reasons the ladies' field will be starting later than usual, but only playing front 10. This means we might not be able to start until well after 12 oclock.

Could we play match, starting from the 10th to ensure we get round in daylight?

I would check with Captain and Proshop to see if they are ok with this.

The other problem is that I am giving 8 shots and obviously they will now fall at different places in the round if we start ftom the 11th.

If you start from the 10th there should be no problem with shots conceded. If your committee have done their job properly the odds and evens should be on different nines and the SIs should be evenly spread throughout each 9.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you start from the 10th there should be no problem with shots conceded. If your committee have done their job properly the odds and evens should be on different nines and the SIs should be evenly spread throughout each 9.

I realise I contradicted myself, mentioning the 10th tee when I meant the 11th.
The SI are well balanced on the two nines, but we would normally play from 11th not 10th as an alternative. It's a few minutes walk to 11th, to carry on to the 10th means walking back up its fairway (and it's a par 5...)

G

guest100718

The SI are well balanced on the two nines, but we would normally play from 11th not 10th as an alternative. It's a few minutes walk to 11th, to carry on to the 10th means walking back up its fairway (and it's a par 5...)

Is it a winter league type thing? I dont see an issue, we only have 9 holes open so played them twice in our match last week.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you both agree to start from the 11th and there is no objection from the Captain/Proshop then go for it.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think this whole area of where the strokes are allocated has been completely turned into an issue that simply doesn't exist.

If two golfers play each other and one receives 5 shots, it should make absolutely no difference where those shots are allocated. For every scenario of doom there is no real logic :

Oh you can't give shots on the first 5 holes.... Err yes I can, that would be awesome as I don't give any more on the last 13 holes...

Oh you can't give shots on the last 5....Err,yes please, that gives me 13 holes to try and get a good lead...

Golfers aren't robots, our shots and individual scores are different over 18 holes every time we play.

I seriously think this is an area that has been made ridiculous by people trying to come up with a formula that will never work due to the randomness of golf.

We might as well get a machine that comes up with 18 random numbers and allocates one to each hole every week, it would be no better, worse or different to what is done now.

In my opinion....

I'm all for change and progression, but for those of you about to rubbish this, please do so accompanied by a logical explanation of how today's convoluted system is actually "better" than the original system of allocating the SI based on the difficulty of each hole for a scratch player, or indeed just 18 random numbers.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As far as I know, if the match can't be played in the time available the teams can decide between themselves how they will decide who concedes the match.

Odd or even on the lottery bonus ball, flip a coin, rock/paper/scissors, nearest the pin, play 18 holes starting on the 11th....... :whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you both agree to start from the 11th and there is no objection from the Captain/Proshop then go for it.

I wouldn't bother asking your Captain (in matters relating to comps he's no different from any other member and his opinion would be only as valid/invalid) - your Competition Secretary is your point of call on such a matter.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As far as I know, if the match can't be played in the time available the teams can decide between themselves how they will decide who concedes the match.

Odd or even on the lottery bonus ball, flip a coin, rock/paper/scissors, nearest the pin, play 18 holes starting on the 11th....... :whistle:

I like this thinking :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't bother asking your Captain (in matters relating to comps he's no different from any other member and his opinion would be only as valid/invalid) - your Competition Secretary is your point of call on such a matter.

Maybe, just maybe, your opinion is just based on how things are done at your club.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I think this whole area of where the strokes are allocated has been completely turned into an issue that simply doesn't exist.

If two golfers play each other and one receives 5 shots, it should make absolutely no difference where those shots are allocated. For every scenario of doom there is no real logic :

Oh you can't give shots on the first 5 holes.... Err yes I can, that would be awesome as I don't give any more on the last 13 holes...

Oh you can't give shots on the last 5....Err,yes please, that gives me 13 holes to try and get a good lead...

Golfers aren't robots, our shots and individual scores are different over 18 holes every time we play.

I seriously think this is an area that has been made ridiculous by people trying to come up with a formula that will never work due to the randomness of golf.

We might as well get a machine that comes up with 18 random numbers and allocates one to each hole every week, it would be no better, worse or different to what is done now.

In my opinion....

I'm all for change and progression, but for those of you about to rubbish this, please do so accompanied by a logical explanation of how today's convoluted system is actually "better" than the original system of allocating the SI based on the difficulty of each hole for a scratch player, or indeed just 18 random numbers.

Cannot disagree except it makes a huge difference when a match goes to a sudden death play-off.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cannot disagree except it makes a huge difference when a match goes to a sudden death play-off.

Yes that's where my shots on the first 5 holes is a bad example.

But really, if the first or 2nd was without doubt the hardest hole, I just think it should be Stroke 1 and so be it. We all know that giving a shot doesn't necessarily mean losing the hole.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

But really, if the first or 2nd was without doubt the hardest hole, I just think it should be Stroke 1 and so be it. We all know that giving a shot doesn't necessarily mean losing the hole.

Will have to agree to disagree then

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, your opinion is just based on how things are done at your club.

Maybe. Maybe OPs club doesn't have a competition secretary. But in my experience the Club Captain doesn't tend to get involved in debates such as this one as he'd defer to a Comp Secretary as any dispute would go to the Comp Secretary in any case. I'd have thought.

I'm certainly not aware in my place that the Club Captain has any definitive 'say' in such matters as comp rulings.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

And, as CONGU point out in their reasoning, a difficult par 4 could make it a problem for the lower handicapper to make par but the higher handicapper could find it easier to make a bogey.

There is no perfect solution, although there could be a strong case for a standard template for matchplay using the principles set out by CONGU - odds on one 9 and evens on the other, lowest SI in the middle of each 9, lower SIs not on first or last hole etc. etc..