....players irons...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am looking to get new irons and not wanting to hijack MWJ's thread, but someone (sorry, I forget who & don't know how to check without abandoning a part written post) suggested in the thread that x20s might prove awkward on links courses as they get the ball off the ground easily.

Question is, is that a common thing with oversized and or cavity backs? (One problem I don't have is getting the ball airborne - the shorter irons I have time to make a cup of tea waiting for it to come down). In looking to get a little less height on the ball are blades something to consider?

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
My understanding is that modern OS irons are designed to launch balls high, very easily. as you mentioned this may not be ideal on a links course :). On a tight summer links lie they can bounce back up into the ball and cause a sort of thinned shot. :(

I've played both types of clubs, many various models, on my course and find that the smaller cavity back models are far more effective than the bigger OS irons.

The right clubs can still offer plenty of forgiveness and playability without being huge shovels.

Don't get confused between cavity backs and the large Oversize irons. MWJ's irons are still cavity backs, not blades, but are smaller profiled.

John.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't get confused between cavity backs and the large Oversize irons. MWJ's irons are still cavity backs, not blades, but are smaller profiled.

I agree....I've not yet succumbed to an out and out oversized iron. My Macgregors are forged/cavity irons, but neither oversize (a tad bigger, maybe?) or noticeably offset.....ideal.

I remember trying out some original big berthas in the mid 1990s. Huge things, almost everything went left and around the greens it felt like trying to chip/pitch at the controls of a JCB. I don't mind big-ish irons, and have no problem with a thick top edge (GM seem obsessed with this!?)
but if the sole is huge and I can't sit the bottom of the face flush to the ground, then it's no good.