Player picks up his ball in error

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing a three ball Stableford today. I made a long putt that finished near the pin. To save time the player attending the flag marked and lifted my ball, so that the third player could putt. He left his own ball on the green as it was not near the pin. I come to the pin and the player that marked my ball handed it to me. The third player holed out and without thinking, the player that marked my ball, picked up his own, thinking that it was mine that he had moved out of the way. He replaced his ball and putted out.

The question is how many strokes is the penalty? We settled on two, but reading 18-2 (1) and (2) it says initially one stroke and then shortly after, two strokes. I cannot see why there is a difference. Please can someone explain?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The penalty of 1 stroke mentioned under 18-2 is the penalty which applies to a player who moves his ball (when he shouldn't have done so). This is the penalty which applies to the player in your group.

The penalty of 2 strokes mentioned is the general penalty for not properly following all the procedures required by the whole of rule 18 generally. The player in your group did follow the correct procedure so only the penalty mentioned under 18-2 applies - and not the general penalty.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the appropriate recommended local rule is in force then he could replace the ball without penalty under accidentally moving ball on the green, this will not need a local rule next year.

Actually not sure this is right as he lifted it without marking

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the appropriate recommended local rule is in force then he could replace the ball without penalty under accidentally moving ball on the green, this will not need a local rule next year.

Actually not sure this is right as he lifted it without marking

As Rulefan has alluded,. it is the purposeful nature of the action which makes it a breach. The Local Rule on causing the ball to move on the putting green is about accidentally causing the ball to move. Lifting your ball is clearly a deliberate action.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you. Your responses have helped me understand how to read the Rules overall. In general terms, the first section describes what should happen, which may or not lead a penalty and what follows is the Penalty for Breach of Rule for not following the required procedure.