Played well, but felt awkward !!

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
I had my first match yesterday, a singles Matchplay. Interestingly enough both of us were playing off 20, so in theory it should have made for a very tight situation.

However, after 6 holes, I was only 2 over par and leading by 6 !!! I finished the first 9 on 42, 5 holes up.

At this point I was convinced I was going to get called a Bandit and actually felt quite awkward about it. But hell, I was playing out of my skin. As it turned out normal form returned and I finished with a 92, but still won 4 & 3.

Enjoyed the experience and am looking forward to the next round.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Well Done Colin, congratulations on your win. Don't worry about it, you shot your h'cap and won. You may well have started really well and this affected the other guy and that's golf.
Matchplay is more variable than stroke play and suits some players more than others, I'd all ways go for match play. Just enter medal comps and the h'cap will take care of itself.
Enjoy the memories of the first 6 holes and have a think as to what you done less well on the other holes. If you can do it once you can do it again. and again. and again.....

Good luck over the coming rounds.

John.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Congrats on your victory Colin, I know exactly what you mean. In a recent match I was playing some of the best golf I have in ages and I was worried the lads I was playing with were thinking I am a bandit. Its funny how we (10-20 h/cap) feel guilty when we hit a purple patch but single figure cappers don't.

Just keep motoring on because the good spell could stop anytime.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
well done Colin.

Playing off 27 I have had similar issues with feeling guilty with good performances. Those 4 point holes really seem to rub people up the wrong way (though they never complained at taking my money when I did not have a handicap and was playing off an agreed 22)

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well done and good luck in the next round. Don't worry about a playing well your hcap is based on performances and scores returned.