Played my first comp yesterday and think i won

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Because if you're off 28, then playing well means hitting 99 or less. Breaking 100 is almost the goal for everyone when first getting into golf, no matter what age.

When you can win comps by hitting 120, it seems kind of ridiculous to be honest... Firstly you have the amount of time that it will take to complete the round with scores like that. Then you have the fact that when newer, younger players who are given high handicaps play, they are often improving at a rapid rate. If the original poster hits 100 like he did off a 28 handicap, he's hitting nett 72 or around that. Not nonsense like 55 :)

Nothing against anyone with high handicaps by the way - they didn't make the changes, so best of luck to them!

There is no point in playing a handicap sport, where you're getting an advantage over some opponents, and then moaning that other people get a bigger advantage. The limit was 28, it's now 54. They are both completely arbitrary limits but one is more inclusive than the other. We all play to the same rules and the handicap system does its best to keep up.

G1z1

Visit site
Strange..... who did win Div 2 then & what was their H/cap.... all is most strange.
Before you enter the latter & in any case it would be a good idea to have a read of the Competition Terms & Conditions so you know the Rules. They should be on the Club Notice Board somewhere or ask the Match Sec where they are.
The man who won the division 2 plays off 11 and was the guy who marked my card who also just happens to be head of the handicap committe. Thats what ive been saying i get the feeling he wasn't too happy coming second to me by 9 shots and just decided to remove me from the comp even though the head secretary said i can win my division no problem just not the overall comp.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
played my first comp yesterday and won well i should of won lol so story with me is i took up golf for the first time around 10 months ago. Handed in 3 cards for handicap around 4 months ago. Was quite nervous played bad in all 3 rounds and ended up with a handicap of 43.
So started playing everyday and getting lessons and then finally felt confident enough to play a comp. I played yesterday scored 100 and because of course my handicap got bumped upto 45 so obviously won the comp with a score of 55. Got a notification on the app today saying i had won and my handicap now is 24. Get another notification about an hour later saying the second place guy won and im not even on the scoreboard now.
The guy who marked my card and put it on the app for me is on the handicap committee so he seen me play and obviously knows its a legit score. So now im thinking whats going on ? Did i win ? And any ideas why ive been removed ? Thinking i should message someone at the club but then thinking does it really matter.
Congratulations on a significant improvement. You're also a text book case of what worries me about this new handicap system. Hand in 3 cards of not very good scores, ridiculously high handicap, practice and then go out in a compatition and shoot an absolute belter of a score. Proof that the system is terrible at dealing with golfers new to the game.

If you payed a competition entry fee, I'd definitely be asking for that back though. I'd also like to take a look at the terms and conditions just to ensure that restriction was in place. Not that the club would introduce it AFTER seeing you win with such a great score... :)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Since reading the first post I can’t help feeling the the head of the handicap committee who marked his card must have known if the op was eligible for the competition.

Somethings not right here

Springveldt

Visit site
Dropped my club an email asking about my handicap, now there saying my score had been removed and didn’t count at all. So didn’t win my division or anything lol think they just make the rules as they go along. So basically said I wasn’t happy and my score should at least work to getting my handicap down to a more accurate number, he agreed and said he would get handicap team to add my score just a normal round. So now im back to 24. Going to work like crazy and enter the championship and get my name on the board now just to wind them up.
Have you had a refund for your comp entry yet at least? You are taking all this pretty well, I'd be absolutely fuming if I where you.

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along tbh. Someone's took the hump at you winning by such a large margin.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The man who won the division 2 plays off 11 and was the guy who marked my card who also just happens to be head of the handicap committe. Thats what ive been saying i get the feeling he wasn't too happy coming second to me by 9 shots and just decided to remove me from the comp even though the head secretary said i can win my division no problem just not the overall comp.
11 is in division 2?? :oops: Must be a lot of good players at your club!

This is all sounding very suspect indeed. I'd be asking a LOT of questions.

G1z1

Visit site
Have you had a refund for your comp entry yet at least? You are taking all this pretty well, I'd be absolutely fuming if I where you.

Sounds like they are making it up as they go along tbh. Someone's took the hump at you winning by such a large margin.
No not really bothered about the fee it was only £2 to enter. Its more me thinking someone has decided to possibly change the rules thats annoyed me.
11 is in division 2?? :oops: Must be a lot of good players at your club!

This is all sounding very suspect indeed. I'd be asking a LOT of questions.
yea div 1 was upto 10 handicap and everyone else in div2

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look at our divisions for the latest comp
Div 1 - Plus handicaps to 10
Div 2 - 11-17
Div 3 - 18-54 (highest handicap at the club is 42)
But he stated he was also in division 2, so that's 1-10 in division 1, and 11-28+ in division 2. Seems oddly balanced that's all. (Unless there are a high amount of single cap players!)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There is no point in playing a handicap sport, where you're getting an advantage over some opponents, and then moaning that other people get a bigger advantage. The limit was 28, it's now 54. They are both completely arbitrary limits but one is more inclusive than the other. We all play to the same rules and the handicap system does its best to keep up.
Again, I think you've missed my point. I don't mind people getting advantages - I'm not off 6 myself, not scratch. But 3 figure golf shouldn't be winning comps, imo. 28 aligned with that, 54 does not.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Again, I think you've missed my point. I don't mind people getting advantages - I'm not off 6 myself, not scratch. But 3 figure golf shouldn't be winning comps, imo. 28 aligned with that, 54 does not.

You're dead right, I have not understood your point. I don't think there's anything special about 28.

100 (72+28) is only a target for those golfers who normally score more than 100. Off 15, I'm targeting a lower score; off 6, you're targeting a much lower score.

Why is it our place to determine that those with 110 (or whatever) as an ambition should be ignored by the handicap system? I'd rather welcome more, than exclude many.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
You're dead right, I have not understood your point. I don't think there's anything special about 28.

100 (72+28) is only a target for those golfers who normally score more than 100. Off 15, I'm targeting a lower score; off 6, you're targeting a much lower score.

Why is it our place to determine that those with 110 (or whatever) as an ambition should be ignored by the handicap system? I'd rather welcome more, than exclude many.
I'm simply giving my opinion. You're the one who seems to be obsessed with it :)

I don't want to exclude anyone from playing golf - I often play with my brother and dad, both have never got near breaking 100. But should they be playing in comps, and holding up everyone else? I don't think so personally. You think differently, good for you.