Played my first comp yesterday and think i won

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sent the club an email and got a reply pretty fast. Basically said any handicap can enter a comp but to be eligible to win you have to be 28 handicap maximum. I am now 24 so just need to put some more work in and hopefully can have the round of my life to get a win lol. Saying that i did play this morning off the white tees and scored 89 ive only ever broke 90 before off the yellows so i am heading in right direction

Would've been fun shooting 89 off a handicap of 54, prize giving would've been interesting ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Could they not deduce it based on your handicap? :LOL:
The lad in the Pro Shop doesn’t know the handicaps of over 120 members on Sat/Sun mornings, plus some with a handicap of 18 like to still play in some of the board comp knowing full well they’ll lose shots for the comp, but not for handicapping.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can you be cut by 19 after one comp.

First handicap would be the best of 3 submitted adjusted cards minus 2 strokes. If first card submitted after that is better, then that adjusted score minus 1 stroke becomes the new Index.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my first comp here in Italy the same happened to me in reverse
I also got about 55 points but just left
The secretary drove after me to tell me - what are you doing - you won the comp
Drove me back where I bashfully received a huge basket of salami and cheeses [we don't do cash prizes here]
Wasn't a dry eye in the house - and the hounds were ecstatic on the hunters return
What sort of hounds have you?

Asking for a friend;)

D

Deleted member 3432

Bit I can't get my head round is some clubs having different entry standards for 'board' comps.

Comps a comp, who cares who won the Poughing Machine Cup in 1985. Way too much importance put on what is just another handicap comp.

Surely if you have a handicap you should be entitled to enter, don't like handicap discrimination. Sure I've been moaning about crazy scores at my club but that's just moaning at WHS being flawed in my opinion.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The problem as I see it is the increased handicaps introduced a few years ago.
When the maximum (for men) was 28, you would get low scores from golfers who were improving. But never did we see people shooting in tbe net 50s.

A 28 hc is way more than enough in my opinion. And I don't have any problem with clubs setting a limit for entry to comps.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sent the club an email and got a reply pretty fast. Basically said any handicap can enter a comp but to be eligible to win you have to be 28 handicap maximum. I am now 24 so just need to put some more work in and hopefully can have the round of my life to get a win lol. Saying that i did play this morning off the white tees and scored 89 ive only ever broke 90 before off the yellows so i am heading in right direction

The fact you have broken 90 implies your handicap even now is pretty wrong lol

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Great cut and fantastic progress, you're the real winner. Tho i'd ask for your entry fee to be put back in the pro shop, you shouldn't pay if you can't win!

I'm all for everyone getting involved, but no one should be winning anything off 28+. It's just a matter of time until someone has a less bad round with a silly net score, and the lower guys have 0% chance of getting anywhere near the top.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I would imagine that it's a condition enshrined in the Rules. Not unusual & quite reasonable. He didn't know but, in the words of Rabbie "ye Ken the noo!"

Yes but surely ( I can call you surely, can I ), it isn't morally right to take an entry fee from someone who cannot possibly win! If in the rules, Change em!

G1z1

Visit site
Was just looking on the app at what comps are coming up next and noticed my handicap has went from 24 upto 41.5 does anyone know if the apps playing up cause i don’t understand how it can go back up ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, but then again I don't know how it figured a cut of 19. If you've whacked it round in 89, I'd have a word with you handicap sec and get him to adjust your handicap to what it obviously should be

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you not have Divisions in your Comps?

G1z1

Visit site
Do you not have Divisions in your Comps?
Yes that comp i won, the club secretary said i won my division but the overall comp I wasn’t aloud to win because i was over 28. Now when i go on the app it’s saying my results are empty as if they have completely removed my score. Weird considering guy from handicap committee marked my card, he did come in second 9 shots after me so maybe he was annoyed about me winning but then surly he would want my handicap down.