Played my first comp yesterday and think i won

G1z1

Visit site
played my first comp yesterday and won well i should of won lol so story with me is i took up golf for the first time around 10 months ago. Handed in 3 cards for handicap around 4 months ago. Was quite nervous played bad in all 3 rounds and ended up with a handicap of 43.
So started playing everyday and getting lessons and then finally felt confident enough to play a comp. I played yesterday scored 100 and because of course my handicap got bumped upto 45 so obviously won the comp with a score of 55. Got a notification on the app today saying i had won and my handicap now is 24. Get another notification about an hour later saying the second place guy won and im not even on the scoreboard now.
The guy who marked my card and put it on the app for me is on the handicap committee so he seen me play and obviously knows its a legit score. So now im thinking whats going on ? Did i win ? And any ideas why ive been removed ? Thinking i should message someone at the club but then thinking does it really matter.

D

Deleted member 3432

Sounds like they don't want the winning score to be so low and have changed comp rules to me.

Well played by the way, get plenty more cards in and get the HC stabilised (y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, I agree with opinion that you have to play in a certain number of comps before being placed .

You've done what often happens, got a high handicap, worked hard on your game and your true ability level is not the handicap you were given. That's why a lot of clubs like to see 3 or so competition scores before you can win one, especially now that the top mens handicap is much higher than the 28 it was.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
100% ask for clarification. If your not getting a prize, I'd ask for my entry fee back too!!

If they state, as many on the forum suggest they will, you need to enter a number of competitions before being eligible, ask politely where in the terms this is stated, and why your handicap valued less than any other.

Logically, after winter, everyone's handicap would be 6 months out of date, how would anyone be eligible for the he first three comps...

It boils my p*** that comps where everyone gets a headstart garner so many complaints about someone getting too much of a headstart because they take the time/effort/expense to improve! Especially in the WHS where you could easily have 20 attested rounds, that are somehow trusted enough to form a handicap record for the best players in the country, and never have once played in a trophy comp...

G1z1

Visit site
Sent the club an email and got a reply pretty fast. Basically said any handicap can enter a comp but to be eligible to win you have to be 28 handicap maximum. I am now 24 so just need to put some more work in and hopefully can have the round of my life to get a win lol. Saying that i did play this morning off the white tees and scored 89 ive only ever broke 90 before off the yellows so i am heading in right direction

IanMcC

Visit site
At our club we have made it at least 3 competitive rounds after initial handicap before a player can win a board comp. They can win monthly medals, weekly stablefords and divisional prizes immediately, though. I think its scandalous that a club would limit its winners to anyone with a handicap (playing or index) at 28 or under. Are these people living in the stone ages? Running a quick report, our club has 454 members with HI at 28 or under, but a further 76 with an index greater than 28 or at pending. This is men only, I hasten to add.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

When we have a Board Comp there is a maximum handicap of 18 to be eligible to win it, we also run an Ind Stab for all those over 18 alongside it, when paying your entry fee you are asked which Comp you are entering.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When we have a Board Comp there is a maximum handicap of 18 to be eligible to win it, we also run an Ind Stab for all those over 18 alongside it, when paying your entry fee you are asked which Comp you are entering.
Could they not deduce it based on your handicap? :LOL:

Visit site
In my first comp here in Italy the same happened to me in reverse
I also got about 55 points but just left
The secretary drove after me to tell me - what are you doing - you won the comp
Drove me back where I bashfully received a huge basket of salami and cheeses [we don't do cash prizes here]
Wasn't a dry eye in the house - and the hounds were ecstatic on the hunters return

Mandofred

Visit site
I "kind of" understand the idea of entering so many contests thing.....but......if you allow me to enter a competition and you take my money.....I should be allowed to win. If not.....I'm not in the competition....in which case I shouldn't have to pay to play. Or......maybe you require more official scores in before you can play??