Play More Golf

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi

The membership looks really good - reasonable starting price, ability to buy extra credits etc.

Is anyone a member through this scheme?

if so, a few questions

1. Do you get a proper handicap

2. Do you have any issues booking rounds (working full time so need weekend rounds especially a early tee some times). is this realistic or do full course members take priority

3. Can you enter club competitions?

4. Do you get treated ok at the club

5. Would you recommend it?

thanks - Mr C

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
there is a couple of threads already open on this. have a look in the search engine.

Qs 1+3 yes 2,4+5 I'm yet to find out.

I'm gonna sign up after I come back from hol, middle of April.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
there is a couple of threads already open on this. have a look in the search engine.

Qs 1+3 yes 2,4+5 I'm yet to find out.

I'm gonna sign up after I come back from hol, middle of April.

thanks - I found a couple of the threads. it all seems a bit too good. I am just thinking there must be a catch!

I will be joining around same time as you I think

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
MrC, I may also be joining at a similar time. When people join if you get referred by another member then both parties get extra points. Please make sure you do not just join without getting referred by someone as both parties gain from it. I tihnk the idea on here is that between us all each of us should gain at least once. Keep looking at the posts around the end of March / beginning of April and hopefully the few of us that join can get something going. We all benefit then.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
MrC, I may also be joining at a similar time. When people join if you get referred by another member then both parties get extra points. Please make sure you do not just join without getting referred by someone as both parties gain from it. I tihnk the idea on here is that between us all each of us should gain at least once. Keep looking at the posts around the end of March / beginning of April and hopefully the few of us that join can get something going. We all benefit then.

absolutely - seems like we can all make sure we get a few extra credits :)

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just gave this a quick look and it seems really good if you aren't going to be playing at peak times which are very heavily weighted at least at Bletchingley which I looked at. The weekend 6-9 slot is 2.5x more than the second most expensive one at 25 points.

Edit: Seems it might be an outlier, having now looked at some of the other courses.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hosel - You certainly need to check the points matrix applicable to your home course. In my case most of my golf would be played at 2 points per time. Saturday mornings would be 7 points but I doubt I will play more than 5 comps in the year so all in all I think it will work for me. I do accept that my course is a low points one due to its location. You have to be careful and judge whether you will blow all of your points in the first 2 months. If so the scheme is not for you.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hosel - You certainly need to check the points matrix applicable to your home course. In my case most of my golf would be played at 2 points per time. Saturday mornings would be 7 points but I doubt I will play more than 5 comps in the year so all in all I think it will work for me. I do accept that my course is a low points one due to its location. You have to be careful and judge whether you will blow all of your points in the first 2 months. If so the scheme is not for you.

It seems most of the others are 7-8 points at super peak down here (mostly poorly conditioned rubbish like Traditions, Stockley and Selsdon) and then Studley which is probably the best course of the lot is 12, Bletchingley just must not be keen on those times being used by people other than traditional members.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just gave this a quick look and it seems really good if you aren't going to be playing at peak times which are very heavily weighted at least at Bletchingley which I looked at. The weekend 6-9 slot is 2.5x more than the second most expensive one at 25 points.

Edit: Seems it might be an outlier, having now looked at some of the other courses.

I think you have to look through the PMG 'front end' at the actual club (you are effectively joining one club as a flexible member and have reciprocal arrangements with other clubs in the scheme.

In Bletchingly's case they don't allow their normal flexible members to play in that 6-9 weekend slot so the PMG matrix sets out to discourage such use! It would be interesting to compare the PMG matrix with flexible membership and visitor rates at a club like Bletchingly - but I suspect there's little difference.

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been looking at Playmore this week, with potentially joining Maylands in Essex.

At £325 for 80 home credits, and 8 credits per weekend slot before 12pm seems expensive in my eyes, but if I were to play twilight after work it would be 3 credits which is much more appealing as the course is less than 3 miles from work.

My question is, what rates can you buy additional credits as I can’t see much online? Do I have to buy another 80 for the same price or is there lower credits and price bands?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is £65 for an extra 20 home points. The reality is the scheme works if you play mostly off peak times. If you want to play every summer comp on a Saturday morning then you need to pay the full membership fee.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been looking at Playmore this week, with potentially joining Maylands in Essex.

At £325 for 80 home credits, and 8 credits per weekend slot before 12pm seems expensive in my eyes, but if I were to play twilight after work it would be 3 credits which is much more appealing as the course is less than 3 miles from work.

My question is, what rates can you buy additional credits as I can’t see much online? Do I have to buy another 80 for the same price or is there lower credits and price bands?

I am thinking of same course for very similar reasons :)

Its £65 for extra 20 credits and you can keep topping up on that basis. I have worked out that for two top ups making total of £455 I could play a realistic 34 rounds including quite a few weekend rounds at peak time. Meaning £13.38 average round cost plus all the membership benefits

Have you ever played the course?

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am thinking of same course for very similar reasons :)

Its £65 for extra 20 credits and you can keep topping up on that basis. I have worked out that for two top ups making total of £455 I could play a realistic 34 rounds including quite a few weekend rounds at peak time. Meaning £13.38 average round cost plus all the membership benefits

Have you ever played the course?

Perfect, that's what I was after, I couldn't see anything relating to additional top-ups. That is a good deal, as I work it out that your two top-up amounts equate to 120 home credits (or 40 twilight rounds on the summer tariff) which I think works well for me as I am limited to weekend golf, but can squeeze the odd one in.

I have played it when I first picked up some clubs and it defeated me, but would love to give it another try now I have began to get the bug again.

Have you played before?
Where are you based?
Could always meet up for a round over there to try it out if you wanted too?

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perfect, that's what I was after, I couldn't see anything relating to additional top-ups. That is a good deal, as I work it out that your two top-up amounts equate to 120 home credits (or 40 twilight rounds on the summer tariff) which I think works well for me as I am limited to weekend golf, but can squeeze the odd one in.

I have played it when I first picked up some clubs and it defeated me, but would love to give it another try now I have began to get the bug again.

Have you played before?
Where are you based?
Could always meet up for a round over there to try it out if you wanted too?

Yes, although I have included 10 promotional points which they are offering, plus 10 refer a friend points to start to get 100 starting points

I have not played Maylands before. I am based Brentwood so have played a few of the other local ones. I would play off about 24 at the moment so just getting into it really

would be good to have a round

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, although I have included 10 promotional points which they are offering, plus 10 refer a friend points to start to get 100 starting points

I have not played Maylands before. I am based Brentwood so have played a few of the other local ones. I would play off about 24 at the moment so just getting into it really

would be good to have a round

I'll PM you, saves taking the thread of track

foiled

Hacker
Visit site
I saw a report that Celtic Manor have signed up to PMG, nothing official on the website yet, but would be interested/tempted depending on the points matrix

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
When this first came up on a previous thread I took a look.
Both The Wychwood and Studley Wood are a theoretical 30-35 minute drive from me, so was quite tempted. Especially as I had not played much this winter.

I deliberately have my renewal set for June though, and I may feel differently by then!