Planes, releases, Mr. Hardy & conflicting advice

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There’s been a lot of talk recently about planes & ways to swing the club. Jim Hardy, one of the world’s top 10 instructors maintains that there are two distinct ways to swing the club up to the top (One Plane / Two Plane) & two distinct & opposite ways to release it in the hitting area (Right Inside Throw / Left Overhead Pull). This is why so much of the advice offered in Golf Monthly & other publications appears to conflict.

As Jim says “Move your head behind the ball / keep your head still” “Pull down with your left / throw with your right” “Stand tall / bend over” “Slide your hips / turn your hips” “Turn your shoulders at the start of the downswing” / “Don’t turn your shoulders at the start of the downswing”. All these things are right but only for the kind of swing you’ve got & if you don’t know then you’re likely to be confused.

For anyone interested in this unique approach recommended reading is “The Plane Truth” & “The Release” Both books have been a great help to me in understanding how my swing works & to ignore pros who, for the last 40 years, have been trying to get me to swing more steeply.

I can’t recommend the books enough. I have never come across anything like the understanding of the golf swing anywhere else & would not go near another pro who tries to teach me HIS swing.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
jims books destroyed my swing.

i have a one plane swing but the pulling the right elbow behind the seam of your shirt and keeping the lead arm across the chest on the downswing just didn't work for me and a few others i know

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

i have a one plane swing but the pulling the right elbow behind the seam of your shirt and keeping the lead arm across the chest on the downswing just didn't work for me and a few others i know

And therein lies the issue.

Not everyone will conform to given criteria. Just because they hit certain positions does not mean they should swing the club a certain way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another who tried the one plane, under the guidance if a Plane Truth instructor but struggled with it, especially the downswing and exit through the ball. Got the Jim Hardy book and it provides some interesting points particularly for my two plane swing and always worth a reference back to now and again. I don't think one plane works for me and as I'm trying to simplify, not something I'd invest time in again

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Perhaps you release was the problem. It bothered me for a while that, if the release is so important, why is it not mentioned in any of the earlier books. He was either holding it back to make us buy more books or this is genuinely a new discovery. All I can say is that a tweak to my downswing prompted by the book, has virtually eliminated my big miss, a big pull with the short clubs.

Last edited: