Pitching off hardpan?

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Most of the DVDs and YouTube videos I've seen about pitching/chipping all seem to be doing so from nice soft fairways, lush grass. The clubs slides through the grass and takes a nice clean divot. My course is nothing like that - it's thin grass on concrete.

Is there a "safe" way to pitch (say 50 yards) form this type of lie?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A bump and run (one shot) is played with a 6, 7, 8, or whatever you're comfortable with, and hit so it bounces up the fairway towards the green.

Personally, from 50yds off a hard lie I'd use a SW, play it a little further back in the stance than normal and make sure I hit down on it. It flies a bit lower but has lots of spin.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Main thing is to make sure you hit the ball first, if you catch any ground first the club will bounce up & you'll probably thin the ball through the green, got the same issue at my place unless it was absolutely necessary to get the ball over a hazard I'd chip & run a 7/8iron as its a much safer shot

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Main thing is to make sure you hit the ball first, if you catch any ground first the club will bounce up & you'll probably thin the ball through the green, got the same issue at my place unless it was absolutely necessary to get the ball over a hazard I'd chip & run a 7/8iron as its a much safer shot

+1

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you say "hit the ball first" do you actually mean hit the ball (with the leading edge)?

No not the leading edge as that would result in a " thin"

What you need is a pure strike of the ball off the club face.
Remember the club face hits the ball first then takes a divot, that's the key to good ball striking. With "bare lies" it's a lot harder as if you're a fraction behind the ball the club will bounce and lead to a 'thin' Best to use a 7/8 and bump and run.
It's a shot that needs practice