Pitching off hardpan?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not seen the video but if you hit the ball with what I understand to be the leading edge (i.e. the front edge of the sole of the club at the bottom of the face) then you will thin it. Resulting in the ball screaming about 50 yards too long at knee height!!

If you need to use a wedge, as has been said before, I would (although I don't claim to be an "expert") put the ball back a touch in your stance to ensure you hit the ball first. Any bounce off the ground and your screwed!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
See what you're say Tim having watched the video.

As i understand it the leading edge he's talking about is the first few mm of the club then the ball runs up the face.

But have a look at this Golf Monthly video from Gary Smith where he is saying that the ball is hit with the leading edge - unless I've totally misunderstood that video?

yes the leading edge by definition is...........erm...leading so it will make first contact (not the close encounters kind) with the ball and the ball will 'run up the face' of the club.
All this with a descending blow.
Its when the leading edge makes contact in an upward motion or straighthrough you get serious thin issues

timgolfy

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Is this absolutely genuine? You'd strike the ball with the leading edge of the club? I'm just really struggling to imagine this.

I always thought the the leading edge would slide underneath the ball, then the middle of the face contact the ball just before the club contacts the ground (if that makes any sense).

But have a look at this Golf Monthly video from Gary Smith where he is saying that the ball is hit with the leading edge - unless I've totally misunderstood that video?

Hmmmmmmmmmm just watched the video now and I don't entirely agree with what he is showing- due to the shape of a golf ball the leading edge will lead but it will/should pass the equator of the ball and if anything will make contact at the same time as the face makes contact with the equator. His video is very misleading IMO and certainly looks like a sure way to THIN it

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Personally, from 50yds off a hard lie I'd use a SW, play it a little further back in the stance than normal and make sure I hit down on it. It flies a bit lower.

It certainly does fly a bit lower.
It will hit the clubhouse wall below the dining room windows rather than above
;) ;)