Pitch marks

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i went out for a quick 7 holes after school, by the sixth it was getting dark, the pin was on the very front of the green and i was on the 150 marker with a clean lie, i thought, hit this 9 iron hard and make it drop by the pin and stop. i launched it high, but couldnt see it land clearly due to the dark, i was exited as i was certain i saw it spin backwards after pithching past the flag. when i arrived at the green i searched for where my pithmark was,

there were at least 2 deep ones a foot or two in front of my ball, then a further two a few yards behind it, i'll never know if i'd managed to spin it backwards like i've watched enviously the pros do!

yes, i did repair all four pith marks

I think it serves you right for being able to hit a 9-iron 150 yards. When I started in the game even the pros took a 7-iron from that distance. Well done, anyway, Lloydy for repairing your pitchmarks. Anyway, you should have been at home doing your homework (grammar, spelling etc. needs to be worked on)
Regards
Shanker (old golfing fart)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I used to hit a wedge this far, back in the days. I have also hit an eight iron 180 plus. Graphite shafted callaways... cr@p. 120 or 180, no difference.

I have now seen the error of my ways, steel shafted blades, easy swing = consistent distance, 150 = seven iron, every time.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used to hit a wedge this far, back in the days. I have also hit an eight iron 180 plus. Graphite shafted callaways... cr@p. 120 or 180, no difference.

I have now seen the error of my ways, steel shafted blades, easy swing = consistent distance, 150 = seven iron, every time.
Haha, same here I had a set of X-12's with graphite shafts and they went sooo much further than my tzoid 2's which replaced them, for the first month I thought they were faulty as I was losing 20 yards on everything.
Now I can hit my rac lt's well enough and anything from my 9 iron to 6 iron can be made to drop on the 150 depending on what I need from the shot. Im now perfecting my 4 iron from under the foliage 150 yds as its a shot I tend to be finding myself having to hit at least once in every round! ?had one today on or 16th par 5 for my second shot and had to squeeze it through a 6 foot quite a few yards in front of me and managed it and left it to 7 feet or so..missed the eagle but got my birdie, grinning like a maniac because only I knew how difficult it was going to be to get the ball out never mind shaping it and making it reach the green.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There you go. This is a shot which I am becoming incredibly adept at. This cannot be done with Callaway irons.

Unfortuneatly, the bottom edge of my irons are begining to look as if I have played off a road more often than not. Sweet looking, but sha**ed.

Have I mentioned that I hate this keyboard?

Lloydy84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
haha, i found the same thing too Brendy when i switched from graphites to steel, with graphites i used to overshoot greens by 30 yards or so with short irons! but when i got a set of MP60s the first round out with them was a medal, i dumped 4 in the water on my 11th because there was about a 10-20 yard distance loss and i didnt want to face up to it! these days, like you 150 can mean anything from 9 iron to 6, much more versatile that way.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never used graphite irons, and from what I hear, seems very sensible!
I know the distances of all my clubs, I could hit 150 with a choice (of two), but isn't the point to get a decent (reliable) average for each iron? I'm rarely short or long, wide, yes, but I couldn't play like this.

I'd be keen to try some TM RAC HT's, but I've given up oversize and offset.

I haven't given up on pitch marks though.....how did we get onto this??

Dave