Pitch it close

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Something I have started to do lately,especially now the ground is firming up is walking all the way up to the green to see my landing spot,and looking to which way the ball will break near the hole.

Now I’m not talking 100 yards probably 40 yards and in,mainly where I can’t see my landing spot or the bottom of the flag.

With the greens getting firmer and usually breaking much more it really has helped me chip closer and get up and down so much more.

Anyone do this,if not why not?

Just my opinion but I think it could help.

All done of course whilst my playing partners are assessing their shots,or when my shot fairly quickly.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Nope - never do this as I think it would take ages, and for so little benefit!
I also think it would be inconsiderate to my playing partners as even doing it when partners are assessing, it means they can't take their shot until you're out of the way.

I also know that even if I was to pick out a landing area, then pick out which way it runs to the hole, then go back and take my shot - the odds of me being able to hit that landing spot 100% of the time is ridiculous!

What handicap do you play off out of interest? Do you always hit your landing spot?

I should add, that if the hole is completely blind then I'll walk up to get a view, but not what you suggest.

Maybe I'm in the minority but it seems a waste of time, a way to annoy playing partners and seems there's very little benefit to 90% of club golfers.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went to driving rang on Tuesday and did exactly this. Was getting decent results, tried a couple of variations in stance, ball position, club.

What's your approach to getting it close? I used a PW, ball 3/4 back in stance and used kind of a putting stroke with follow through to get the ball rolling (if that makes sense)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something I have started to do lately,especially now the ground is firming up is walking all the way up to the green to see my landing spot,and looking to which way the ball will break near the hole.

Now I’m not talking 100 yards probably 40 yards and in,mainly where I can’t see my landing spot or the bottom of the flag.

With the greens getting firmer and usually breaking much more it really has helped me chip closer and get up and down so much more.

Anyone do this,if not why not?

Just my opinion but I think it could help.

All done of course whilst my playing partners are assessing their shots,or when my shot fairly quickly.
Don’t see any reason why this wouldn’t be beneficial, and it also wouldn’t take up more time
If you did it whilst others were playing their game

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes - agree with Jonny. I might do this if it is a raised green so I can get a proper idea of where the flag is.

But if every player did this on every chip it would take an extra couple of minutes a hole. If everything is reasonably flat you can see what you need to see from behind the ball.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I went to driving rang on Tuesday and did exactly this. Was getting decent results, tried a couple of variations in stance, ball position, club.

What's your approach to getting it close? I used a PW, ball 3/4 back in stance and used kind of a putting stroke with follow through to get the ball rolling (if that makes sense)

You went to the driving range and walked 40 yards to see your landing zone??????

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nope - never do this as I think it would take ages, and for so little benefit!
I also think it would be inconsiderate to my playing partners as even doing it when partners are assessing, it means they can't take their shot until you're out of the way.

I also know that even if I was to pick out a landing area, then pick out which way it runs to the hole, then go back and take my shot - the odds of me being able to hit that landing spot 100% of the time is ridiculous!

What handicap do you play off out of interest? Do you always hit your landing spot?

I should add, that if the hole is completely blind then I'll walk up to get a view, but not what you suggest.

Maybe I'm in the minority but it seems a waste of time, a way to annoy playing partners and seems there's very little benefit to 90% of club golfers.
Currently I play off 6 but it’s getting lower and one of the main reasons is the above.

Tell me where it mentions 100% hitting the landing zone.

Did you not read the bit where I said when I can’t see the landing zone or bottom of the flag,that is certainly not every hole.

If it’s not for you then no problem.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
On the grass chipping area yes - I did at the start. I obviously didn't do it on every shot. The green you chip to have 6 holes, chose 1 of them and practised to it.

I get that, and I get the point of having a rough landing zone and letting your ball run out (especially in the hotter weather where the course is hard so landing on the green isn't the best shot).
However, I fail to see how anyone can do this regularly and not say it adds extra time to the round.

I also bet that 99.9% of golfers wouldn't be able to hit a specific landing zone 100% of the time from 40 yards away unless the zone was massive.
To me this means that there's little point in seeing the ball will roll left to right if you land it on a spot, if you can't then be sure you're always going to hit the spot you pick out.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Currently I play off 6 but it’s getting lower and one of the main reasons is the above.

Tell me where it mentions 100% hitting the landing zone.

Did you not read the bit where I said when I can’t see the landing zone or bottom of the flag,that is certainly not every hole.

If it’s not for you then no problem.

On how many holes per round does this occur would you say?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that, and I get the point of having a rough landing zone and letting your ball run out (especially in the hotter weather where the course is hard so landing on the green isn't the best shot).
However, I fail to see how anyone can do this every hole and not say it adds extra time to the round.

I also bet that 99.9% of golfers wouldn't be able to hit a specific landing zone 100% of the time from 40 yards away unless the zone was massive.
To me this means that there's little point in seeing the ball will roll left to right if you land it on a spot, if you can't then be sure you're always going to hit the spot you pick out.

You aren't going to do it on every hole are you. You may use it 2/3/4 times a round but if it gives you an imagine of roughly where you want to land it and have the ball roll it then I don't see the problem.

If I have the time I'll do it, if not I won't. For me its that simple.

Bit like with a putt, whilst your partners are playing you look at the green, check the hole out and see where you want the putt to go.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is certainly some merit in this. its not a case of walking up to every pin but in a few cases even when chipping from across the green I may move closer to the hole to get a better look and see where id like to putt from or more importantly where I really do not want to leave myself. For example I might not want to chip past the pin and leave a 4 foot slippery one down hill.

For pitch shots 50 yards and in. moving in near the green for a closer look gives you a true perspective on how much room you have to land the ball.

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
its a good idea if you have the skill to carry it out, if you don't its just wasting time.

i might have a look if i'm chipping onto a raised green, but wouldn't do this from 40 or 50 yards out

This is what it boils down to for me.

And that's not having a go at those who do it, it's just at my skill level it would annoy my partners more than it would benefit me.

As pokerjoke says though - if you get up and down 4 out of 6 times with it then it's worth doing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I definitely can't be bothered walking 40 yards up to the green and back. If I can't see where I'm landing it I might walk slightly to a point where I can see, but not all the way up to it. That's just too much faffing around for me. Particularly as, like some others have said, the chances of me landing it in a precise landing spot are very slim. From 40 yards I'm normally taking a half-swing gap wedge and hoping for the best.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let’s just put in a reason for doing it as apposed not doing it.
You’ve come up 40 yards short and you can’t see the bottom of the flag,you know the green slopes left to right but you don’t know how much.
You also don’t know exactly where the flag is on the green.

Ist scenario is you don’t go up and have a look and when you get up there your 25ft away with a stinker of a right to left putt left for par and you realise you should have aimed further left.
2nd scenario is you do go and have a look,you see it breaks left to right and you play the shot 25ft left of the flag and the ball finishes hole high.

This is not about slow play this is about course management and giving yourself a better chance to shoot lower scores.

The other comment about not being skillfull enough is just stupid because it’s a 40 yard chip and if you can’t do this when you get loads of these during rounds this is something that you probably need to do more imho

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I definitely can't be bothered walking 40 yards up to the green and back. If I can't see where I'm landing it I might walk slightly to a point where I can see, but not all the way up to it. That's just too much faffing around for me. Particularly as, like some others have said, the chances of me landing it in a precise landing spot are very slim. From 40 yards I'm normally taking a half-swing gap wedge and hoping for the best.

Come on mate where’s your common sense.
Who said walk all the way,it’s bloody obvious you only walk to the point where you can see.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Let’s just put in a reason for doing it as apposed not doing it.
You’ve come up 40 yards short and you can’t see the bottom of the flag,you know the green slopes left to right but you don’t know how much.
You also don’t know exactly where the flag is on the green.

Ist scenario is you don’t go up and have a look and when you get up there your 25ft away with a stinker of a right to left putt left for par and you realise you should have aimed further left.
2nd scenario is you do go and have a look,you see it breaks left to right and you play the shot 25ft left of the flag and the ball finishes hole high.

This is not about slow play this is about course management and giving yourself a better chance to shoot lower scores.

The other comment about not being skillfull enough is just stupid because it’s a 40 yard chip and if you can’t do this when you get loads of these during rounds this is something that you probably need to do more imho
but if you are crap at chipping, this isn't going to help is it , practising your chipping might, not walking 40 yards to look at the green