Pitch it close

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but if you are crap at chipping, this isn't going to help is it , practising your chipping might, not walking 40 yards to look at the green

You don't walk the 40 yards, you walk up to where you can see where you want the shot to go and will have a better read of the green than at your ball. You might only need to walk 10/15 yards forward to see.

D

Deleted member 16999

Y
Let’s just put in a reason for doing it as apposed not doing it.
You’ve come up 40 yards short and you can’t see the bottom of the flag,you know the green slopes left to right but you don’t know how much.
You also don’t know exactly where the flag is on the green.

Ist scenario is you don’t go up and have a look and when you get up there your 25ft away with a stinker of a right to left putt left for par and you realise you should have aimed further left.
2nd scenario is you do go and have a look,you see it breaks left to right and you play the shot 25ft left of the flag and the ball finishes hole high.

This is not about slow play this is about course management and giving yourself a better chance to shoot lower scores.

The other comment about not being skillfull enough is just stupid because it’s a 40 yard chip and if you can’t do this when you get loads of these during rounds this is something that you probably need to do more imho
You’re out there to do your best, not to keep looking at your watch or trying to please others!
You’re not slow by any means Tony and anyone with half a brain cell can tell the difference between somebody wasting time and somebody who knows what they are doing.
No it may not come off all the time, but if wish to do for the right reasons, crack on.
I certainly go forward if I feel the need.

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't do it very regularly, as generally can see enough for my purposes.

Sometimes on hilly courses I will wonder up and have a look at the lie of the land, as it is hard to judge slopes on greens especially front to back from a distance.

If it works for you, then crack on.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

Have done a quick walk up to a green or to a point where I can see where I want to land the ball from about 30 yards - even more so if it’s a hole location that’s tricky or on a hole not played before. It happens once every couple of rounds and done at the appropriate time as to not delay play - also use a course planner. Seems sensible especially on a hole where you can’t see the green or bottom of pin etc

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
40 yards away from the pin is absolutely nothing. When you consider the green will take up a big percentage of that yardage then it's only a matter of a few seconds to go and take a closer look. You may only have to walk 15yards.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
but if you are crap at chipping, this isn't going to help is it , practising your chipping might, not walking 40 yards to look at the green

Probably aimed at the better player to be honest Patrick.
As you say if your crap full stop maybe the practice area is where you should be.

I’m at the stage now where I’ve been a 6 or 7 handicap for about 4 years,if I want to get lower,which I do these little things will help.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This sounds like another example of club golfers copying what they see pros doing on TV.

D

Deleted member 16999

This sounds like another example of club golfers copying what they see pros doing on TV.
Why? Surely if you’re close and can’t see the bottom of the pin or don’t know the greens you should consider (regardless of handicap) taking 20-30 seconds to go forward and look?

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
if i cant see the bottom of the flag then i walk up to take a look. I mainly look to see how much room from start of green to pin. is there any slopes that need carried or does the green slope in a certain direction. Sometimes you play the perfect chip the ball hits a down slope and kicks over the back of the green. When you see how much space there is between said slope and flag it gives confidence in getting the distance right.

Sure i might not hit the spot i want everytime but its much better then just hitting into the green and hoping its works out ok.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m surprised I’m in the
Minority with this but I agree with Jonny I think this would slow up play something rotten. We have a fair amount of raised greens at ours and if everyone that’s missed done this I think would take ages.

If I wasn’t conscious of pace of play I’d do this every shot I’m blind and I’d also take a look at the hole from all angles when putting and I honestly think I’d score a lot better but I appreciate the impact it would have on my PPs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably aimed at the better player to be honest Patrick.
As you say if your crap full stop maybe the practice area is where you should be.

I’m at the stage now where I’ve been a 6 or 7 handicap for about 4 years,if I want to get lower,which I do these little things will help.
putting dear boy, i'm no better a driver, iron player (well maybe), and certainly not a better chipper than i was when i was a 10 handicap (as Smiffy will remember i was a great chipper)

the main difference getting me down is i hole so many more putts( most of the time;) )

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why? Surely if you’re close and can’t see the bottom of the pin or don’t know the greens you should consider (regardless of handicap) taking 20-30 seconds to go forward and look?
I don't have an issue if the person is capable of pitching it to a reasonable proximity but let's be honest, how many of us are?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Come on mate where’s your common sense.
Who said walk all the way,it’s bloody obvious you only walk to the point where you can see.
Well, ok, in the case I don't know why you thought it was worth starting the topic then. You might as well have said "Does anyone else here look where they're hitting it before they hit it?" or "Does anyone try and read the slope of the green before they putt?" :p

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can't think of any greens at the Zoo where I would need to do this but it is something I've done in the past.
And even if I haven't got the skill to hit the landing spot at least I have a specific target to aim at

Wolf

Visit site
I csnt see any reason why round a home course anyone would need to do this, as will have played it enough times to know the lie of the Land and slope of greens. Certainly at my home course cant see any reason why I would do it as I play it regularly.

Away courses perhaps with a blind shot or tucked away pin I would consider taking a few paces to get a begger angle or look but would make sure it's done whilst others are playing so I'm ready to go soon as its time to hit my shot.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't have an issue if the person is capable of pitching it to a reasonable proximity but let's be honest, how many of us are?
But like others have said there’s possibly a time and place when to.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m surprised I’m in the
Minority with this but I agree with Jonny I think this would slow up play something rotten. We have a fair amount of raised greens at ours and if everyone that’s missed done this I think would take ages.

If I wasn’t conscious of pace of play I’d do this every shot I’m blind and I’d also take a look at the hole from all angles when putting and I honestly think I’d score a lot better but I appreciate the impact it would have on my PPs

Cannot agree with this at all.
It doesn’t slow it down enough to worry.
My playing partners whine all the time so I couldn’t care less what they think :)

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I do something similar, but I stop every 10 yards to throw grass in the air. I then go to the pin get my laser out and zap my ball - just to double check distance. I then repeat the process ever ten yards on my way back to the ball. Should see the faces of those behind me, think it does them good tho as they're a friendly and athletic bunch. They wave at me a lot whist jumping up and down.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to do it more on away courses from 40 yards and in especially if I am coming over a bunker or pond to see ho much room I have to play with. There are a few holes on my course where I may have a quick look subject to pin placement but usually laser a yardage and play from there according to my lie and conditions

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I tend to do it more on away courses from 40 yards and in especially if I am coming over a bunker or pond to see ho much room I have to play with. There are a few holes on my course where I may have a quick look subject to pin placement but usually laser a yardage and play from there according to my lie and conditions

Sorry Homer but is that serious?. The Cat 1 fellas might be able to pitch it differently based on the run out from a different landing spot between a 35 yrd and 38 yrd distance to pin but I'm not buying that Cat 3 players can
Don't mean to do you a disservice but needing to laser from 40 yrds and in is stretching the ability a tad isn't it