Pitch it close

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry Homer but is that serious?. The Cat 1 fellas might be able to pitch it differently based on the run out from a different landing spot between a 35 yrd and 38 yrd distance to pin but I'm not buying that Cat 3 players can
Don't mean to do you a disservice but needing to laser from 40 yrds and in is stretching the ability a tad isn't it

Yes and no. I have been working hard on my pitching in the last twelve months and have a "feel" (think Pelz clock face but not as regimented) for a number of distances from 20-70 yards and so by lasering I get an idea for what sort of swing i should be making depending on which wedge I'm using. I accept my ability to hit landing zones won't match a Cat 1 player but even if I miss that +/- a foot or two from the ideal spot I am still going to be relatively close and still give me a put to save par. It takes seconds to get a distance and easily obtained while others are playing onto the green so it doesn't impact pace of play.

Also, as I said, I tend to walk towards the green on away courses as I don't always have any idea how much ground there is between the back of a bunker and the green/flag. Again, I might do this as I am leaving the bag adjacent to the green rather than getting to the ball, walking up, playing the shot and then moving the bag again so its about doing it in the quickest way possible

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
RE OP

I have played my own course so often that I would see little point, so similarly if another player with the same sort of experience were to do it I would not be happy. Mind you with Ready Golf I would play my shot whilst they were walking provided there was no danger of hitting them and putt whilst they were walking to the green.

In a similar vein, it makes me laugh when I see players who have played the course for over 20 years take a GPS on to a par 3 to work out what club to take.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
why wouldn't you? at my place, there can be sometimes 2 or 3 clubs different depending where the flag is so always get the laser on it.

Bit off topic, glad to see it seems more normal these days that the courses round my way are putting temp signage out each day on each par 3 tee with the distance to that days pin, certainly helps take any guesswork out

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
All the guys saying people arent good enough to land it in the same spot so does that mean they shouldn't try? How are you supposed to get good enough to do it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

All the guys saying people arent good enough to land it in the same spot so does that mean they shouldn't try? How are you supposed to get good enough to do it?
Do it on the practice ground. When you can then do it consistently take it to the course. Don't dick about wasting time on shots you can't pull off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes and no. I have been working hard on my pitching in the last twelve months and have a "feel" (think Pelz clock face but not as regimented) for a number of distances from 20-70 yards and so by lasering I get an idea for what sort of swing i should be making depending on which wedge I'm using. I accept my ability to hit landing zones won't match a Cat 1 player but even if I miss that +/- a foot or two from the ideal spot I am still going to be relatively close and still give me a put to save par. It takes seconds to get a distance and easily obtained while others are playing onto the green so it doesn't impact pace of play.

Also, as I said, I tend to walk towards the green on away courses as I don't always have any idea how much ground there is between the back of a bunker and the green/flag. Again, I might do this as I am leaving the bag adjacent to the green rather than getting to the ball, walking up, playing the shot and then moving the bag again so its about doing it in the quickest way possible

I feel that clock system can be very rigid and is only really relevant from the fairway to a flat surface on a calm day. not bad for a general idea of how far to hit the ball on the fly. if you are throwing them shots way into air then you are also at the mercy of side winds blowing the ball off line.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do it on the practice ground. When you can then do it consistently take it to the course. Don't dick about wasting time on shots you can't pull off.

This is what I do. I put a towel down and aim to hit that from various distances. Not overly fussed if I'm foot or so out in any direction (front/short or left/right) as it'll be close enough to give me a putt at par. Think your point about "dicking about" can be applied to millions of weekend golfers all thinking they can produce a Mickleson lob or a Seve recovery. At least I've put some effort into trying to understand how to play yhe shot

I feel that clock system can be very rigid and is only really relevant from the fairway to a flat surface on a calm day. not bad for a general idea of how far to hit the ball on the fly. if you are throwing them shots way into air then you are also at the mercy of side winds blowing the ball off line.
As I said its only a loose version and for example my 58 degree at what Pelz would call 8 o'clock goes about 25 yards with the linear version but I don't agree it is relevant to fairways and I'll regularly hit pitches on semi-rough type grass on the practice ground to get an idea how far it goes and what I need to do to get it out the ideal distance. I do agree 100% that if you chuck it high you are at the mercy of the winds and so a lot of the time I'll play a lower running sort of pitch or chip and try and get it down on or near the putting surface asap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
why wouldn't you? at my place, there can be sometimes 2 or 3 clubs different depending where the flag is so always get the laser on it.

Yes but with 20 + years of experience of playing the hole would you not expect any such player to have played virtually every pin position avaailable , in every weather condition and every tee position, such that club choice is instinctive from having played it before.

On some tees it means a thirty yard walk to the tee markers, take a measurement, back to the bag and then back to the tee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes but with 20 + years of experience of playing the hole would you not expect any such player to have played virtually every pin position avaailable , in every weather condition and every tee position, such that club choice is instinctive from having played it before.

On some tees it means a thirty yard walk to the tee markers, take a measurement, back to the bag and then back to the tee.
you must have a great memory then, i can;t even remember what ai had for breakfast this morning:LOL:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Picking your landing spot and committing to it is critical in pitching and chipping. You know how much its going to run so no need to focus on where it finishes.

I agree you dont always need to walk up and literally point at it, just make sure you get a view to avoid the pitfalls of the green/course design and its visual illusions!

Pick and commit, thats all you need!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to say I pitched rather well on the back of this thread today in difficult conditions on the back of some practice yesterday. Picked some great landing spots on some big swinging short pitches and chips and got up and down each time. It makes a difference having a specific spot, and I can see the arguments about pace of play especially at home clubs. No need today to walk anywhere to play the shots