Ping refusing online sales?

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seems strange to me especially with there only being a few custom fit centres across the country?

Are they suggesting that Golf superstore "custom fitting" is better than buying from somewhere like OnlineGolf?

Don't want to re-ignite the whole cf debate but personally I think in 3-4 months time their stance may well be reviewed!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
May be they are not selling enough through these outlets. Or may be these outlets are under cutting their traditional retailers who have all complained, or may be their stuff is junk and they have finally withdrawn it all from sale until they make something decent. (You might guess from this that I don't like Ping).

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
or another possibility, most Ping clubs are (or end up) fitted. Selling through these outlets puts Ping in the position of honouring their retro-fit policy at a loss if the outlets are getting the clubs that much cheaper in the first place.

it could also mean that there might be a change in Ping policy on the horizon - retrofit only if bought through an 'approved' outlet.

all part of controlling your brand I think.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
didn't know they had. I must say that seems really odd, more like a complete retrenchment, clothing as well?

They haven't been reading a certain magazine have they and got the idea that we're only interested in TM?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That would tie in with their retailers complaining about online price structure. Price fixing, isn't it a marvelous thing.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big Big move by Ping, agree with Parmo why remove bags? However they are probably the easiest to produce fakes.

Will be interesting to see how this goes for them.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has always been the same hasn't it? As far as I am aware it is purely to stop fakes being sold online- you can still order items from home most places give you a separate order line which you can phone and order your Ping merchandise from. It is not as if you do have to go into a ping stockist to buy their products.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
spoke to our proshop this evening about this. it seems that there is or will be a total ban by Ping of online sales, even if advertised by one of their stockists. the story is that an offender will get one warning then they can lose their dealership.