Equipment Resale - Buying into the hype?

sunshine

Visit site
I have decided to have a clear out of some gear.
I have noticed that some people are actually turning a lot of kit over. Lots of buying and selling and also it looks like some asset protection. If you put something on cheap there is a few bids to take it up to what these guys are stocking and it’s them who are bidding.
The other one was I put a 9 yr old driver up .. immaculate and it didn’t finish its auction it was bought for the buy it now price within 2 days of a 7 day listing. Which left me wondering did I under price it .. but I cannot find any evidence to suggest that. The buyer looked like some one who does a lot of dealing so we will see.

If you are selling a club for £100, and there are other professional sellers stocking it at £150, it makes sense for them to buy your club for £100 and then sell it for £150, it's a simple arbitrage for them.

A couple of my mates are quite active buying and selling golf gear. One guy started out looking for a 3 wood and basically bought and sold every make and model until he found what he liked. (Personally I would have just got a fitting instead of relying on random luck :LOL:). Anyway, he sold some clubs for more than he paid for them, and ended up buying some clubs that looked cheap just because he knew he could sell it for a profit. I think there are a loads of similar amateur bargain hunters on ebay.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are selling a club for £100, and there are other professional sellers stocking it at £150, it makes sense for them to buy your club for £100 and then sell it for £150, it's a simple arbitrage for them.

A couple of my mates are quite active buying and selling golf gear. One guy started out looking for a 3 wood and basically bought and sold every make and model until he found what he liked. (Personally I would have just got a fitting instead of relying on random luck :LOL:). Anyway, he sold some clubs for more than he paid for them, and ended up buying some clubs that looked cheap just because he knew he could sell it for a profit. I think there are a loads of similar amateur bargain hunters on ebay.
Yeah I think they doing that, I just thought there was a bit of artificial inflation. I usually look at the golfbidder and cash 4 clubs types and see how they price their stock. Usually they are top end but depends on the quality of what they have vs what I have, and then I set my prices.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I understand now, I suppose the charges ebay put on are quite high. Then does Facebook reach as big an audience?

That is the bit that is changing, probably not yet but it’s changing hence it possibly could be contributing to the uptick in sales there.

I am just saying it may not be all new sellers choosing their platform.

Hard to gauge this without some data to show eBay reducing in sales though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is the bit that is changing, probably not yet but it’s changing hence it possibly could be contributing to the uptick in sales there.

I am just saying it may not be all new sellers choosing their platform.

Hard to gauge this without some data to show eBay reducing in sales though.
I had a look at Facebook, it took me to Swedish sales. This was interesting because it looks like, they pay more, but brand new club prices are higher. They do have access to golfbidder, but not eBay which changes the market dynamic. I was thinking perhaps I should move on the set of ping e I irons as it looks like I could ask for more than I paid .. but then it’s replacing them

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too many time wasters on facebook.
You get it with eBay... you set the prices and some muppet thinks your open to negotiate before the listing has finished. They don’t understand the buy it now price, and some bid beyond the buy it now price ...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You get it with eBay... you set the prices and some muppet thinks your open to negotiate before the listing has finished. They don’t understand the buy it now price, and some bid beyond the buy it now price ...

I just put it on auction only, no offers or buy it now, and let the market decide what it’s worth. Worked well so far.