Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have any evidence to back this up in regards to PXG clubs

Yes I do.

Read toward the bottom of the article.

https://mygolfspy.com/pxg-0311-gen3-iron-review/

The cost to build these clubs is huge.

Let’s be totally frank as well

Ping always have been (with the exception of a few clubs like the anser Irons) a cast club manufacturer.

They are simply not renown for forging whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 3432

No pieces of plastic to fall off so a big improvement ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No pieces of plastic to fall off so a big improvement ?
Nah they won’t fall off but could rattle inside the head ?!
The more I read I think these are more like P790 or HMB irons .. or am I confused ??
It goes back to the blades discussion and feel , all bad shots feel good. However if the shot feels good but the distance is down you get completely confused!
The cost is large, and it’s reality to building tec my understanding is the face is forged and then welded to the body, the body is cast and the insert is popped in … that means there are 2 new additions to the basic head build - generating cost.
A straight cast will be cheaper and the re- finish ( pings of old had a simple tumble in a washing machine prior to all this hydro Pearl cobblers) . Weight tuning has added cost but it isn’t as complex as the hollow iron builds … so I would expect to see the i210 replacement to be inline with current costs ..

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nah they won’t fall off but could rattle inside the head ?!
The more I read I think these are more like P790 or HMB irons .. or am I confused ??
It goes back to the blades discussion and feel , all bad shots feel good. However if the shot feels good but the distance is down you get completely confused!
The cost is large, and it’s reality to building tec my understanding is the face is forged and then welded to the body, the body is cast and the insert is popped in … that means there are 2 new additions to the basic head build - generating cost.
A straight cast will be cheaper and the re- finish ( pings of old had a simple tumble in a washing machine prior to all this hydro Pearl cobblers) . Weight tuning has added cost but it isn’t as complex as the hollow iron builds … so I would expect to see the i210 replacement to be inline with current costs ..

It's the opposite of above
Face isn't forged
The body is

https://mygolfspy.com/ping-i59-forged-irons/

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh yes stand corrected!
So they will get a nice bit of bag clatter , but the faces will have longevity.
I dunno whether this process of forging the body offers any benefit apart from escalating cost up ??

Great point.

It’s so they can put ‘forged’ on the clubhead to make it look exclusive probably

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit misleading in a way imo

I agree with a point you made earlier
Fully forged PXG gen 3 irons
£135 per club
Or
200 per iron for ping....

The price point on mainstream brand irons now is getting daft
I wonder whether the 2nd hand market is driving it or it’s a case of we do it with drivers let’s try our luck with irons.

Maybe some good old deflation statements are required here such as… your irons are just tools to hit the ball further in 10 yard increments as accurately and easily as possible. The feel of a great shot is pretty much an experience the amateur will never know (? - this will set some off!) … actually a Ping zing 2 irons of 20-30 yrs ago are still more than capable of helping you achieve a good score.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit misleading in a way imo

I agree with a point you made earlier
Fully forged PXG gen 3 irons
£135 per club
Or
200 per iron for ping....

The price point on mainstream brand irons now is getting daft

The price of gen 3’s is amazing currently.

Full set 4-pw for under a grand. Hard to resist

I hope they work for me when mine arrive in 2-3 weeks… ? ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wonder whether the 2nd hand market is driving it or it’s a case of we do it with drivers let’s try our luck with irons.

Maybe some good old deflation statements are required here such as… your irons are just tools to hit the ball further in 10 yard increments as accurately and easily as possible. The feel of a great shot is pretty much an experience the amateur will never know (? - this will set some off!) … actually a Ping zing 2 irons of 20-30 yrs ago are still more than capable of helping you achieve a good score.

Ping will be charging whatever they can get away with. Aren't T200s and P790s a similar price?

If people don't buy them, the price will come down.

Springveldt

Visit site
Oh yes stand corrected!
So they will get a nice bit of bag clatter , but the faces will have longevity.
I dunno whether this process of forging the body offers any benefit apart from escalating cost up ??
I’ve had my i500’s for 2 years now and there is no bag clatter on them, not a single mark on the back of them. My Vokey wedges have loads of dings in them though.

Also “only” paid £800 for 4-PW, the price of these is ridiculous.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ping will be charging whatever they can get away with. Aren't T200s and P790s a similar price?

If people don't buy them, the price will come down.
T200 are £940 for 5 - PW
P790 are the same
JPX 921 Tour are between £850 and £890.
These bats may be very very good but the price alone is enough to put me off when there are some very good clubs out there for quite a lot less.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
T200 are £940 for 5 - PW
P790 are the same
These bats may be very very good but the price alone is enough to put me off when there are some very good clubs out there for quite a lot less.
I'm not expecting to see these in anyones bag anytime soon.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
T200 are £940 for 5 - PW
P790 are the same
Mizuno makes sense though as there is no uplift cost on shafts and they have big selection.
Not sure where Ping are with these though?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve had my i500’s for 2 years now and there is no bag clatter on them, not a single mark on the back of them. My Vokey wedges have loads of dings in them though.

Also “only” paid £800 for 4-PW, the price of these is ridiculous.
I think the i500 has a forged face insert not body … as that’s 17-4 cast steel which explains no clatter, but I am happy to be corrected.
I did try them, but the shaft options were away from what I wanted and I thought they were a little lively for me , they looked good though!