Ping I v G?

Woggathe boy

Visit site
Is the I range a little bit less forgiving than the G range? I've got some inherited G15 clubs from my father and they go very well they just seem a bit of a lump sometimes. I don't struggle for distance and hit my irons quite well they just look and feel a bit like a lump. Do you lose loads of forgiveness and are they harder to hit?

To to put it in the picture I've got a chance of some I25s at a reasonable price or to stick with my G15s. I don't have the opportunity to play them first so please just give me candid personal opinion. I'm big enough to take it and telling me to try them doesn't help. I appreciate there's an element of gamble in the transaction that's what makes life worth living. I just need to know whether or not it's a worthwhile gamble or not!

Cheers in advance.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the I range a little bit less forgiving than the G range? I've got some inherited G15 clubs from my father and they go very well they just seem a bit of a lump sometimes. I don't struggle for distance and hit my irons quite well they just look and feel a bit like a lump. Do you lose loads of forgiveness and are they harder to hit?

To to put it in the picture I've got a chance of some I25s at a reasonable price or to stick with my G15s. I don't have the opportunity to play them first so please just give me candid personal opinion. I'm big enough to take it and telling me to try them doesn't help. I appreciate there's an element of gamble in the transaction that's what makes life worth living. I just need to know whether or not it's a worthwhile gamble or not!

Cheers in advance.

Go for it! I love my i25's. I don't find them hard to hit at all and I'm not the best golfer out there.
treat yourself

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your appraisal of the G and I ranges is there or thereabouts.
i25 irons will be less forgiving than G15 but they are still pretty helpful!
And if you do get them and don't like them, you won't lose much if anything moving them on

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bought the G25's at a custom fit. At the time they were right for where my game was but as I made swing changes and found my game, I hated the look of the short irons, especially chipping. Decided to go for the I25's this year. Very happy with them. Better sized head, more confidence on chips and still forgiving enough for a player like me who won't always find the middle. If you get them and don't like them chances are you'll cover most of your outlay if you sell them on so seems a bit of a win win to give them a go

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
IMO I'd say the G series is definitely more forgiving than the I series. Also the I series is WAY better looking on the eye as homer states. If your a half decent ball striker you'll have no problem with the I series. I love my i20's and even off centre strikes aren't that bad!!

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As above really. I've just gone to i25 from a lager iron and really like them.

I realise you can't try the ones you've been offered but could you get to any ping dealer and try some? Even if not, I recommend getting fitted post purchase for lie angle etc as ping will change the set for free if you cover the postage I believe and that is certainly worth doing if you are anything a little way off standard.

Simon

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've had both G10's and currently i10's. Wouldn't say there's a lot of difference on forgiveness but the i10's are a better look and feel and yes, the G's are very "clunky". I found the short irons would snag rather annoyingly sometimes on the take away (I swing quite shallow). I also think the i10's were/are a better club than the i15's but haven't tried later models so couldn't comment.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I series is definitely a lot less chunky looking but not much less forgiving!

My Shire member Ping addict mate is even considering ditching the G10 3 and 4 irons for hybrids as they seem too chunky - he has I15s from 5-LW.

I series still a bit clunky for me, but I'd certainly consider them if scoring well meant a lot more to me than feel and elegance!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go on the PING website and use the static fitting tool they have on there. If you are tall and these have been fitted to someone who is short you could end up with a large bill to get them lengthened as it will mean buying a full set if new grips too. Regarding PING I am sure that they do loft and lie for free, but would expect you to cover the cost of lengthening and regrippng.

But if you do use the nFlight web fitting tool you will find out your colour code and length then you can compare to the ones you are being offered. You need to remember if these clubs need lengthening, which will mean new grips too will cost you anywhere from £90+ For 9 irons with a good quality grip.