Ping G20 hybrid

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been having a few lessons with a new pro of late and am starting to hit the ball much better now with my irons. I'm even starting to hit my 5 iron well which has always been my nemesis. Now I am swinging my irons properly, I'm having issues with my Ping G20 23 Hybrid. I just can't seem to hit the ball clean and when I now look down on the club, I'm really put off by the amount of offset it has.

I don't want to do anything drastic and buy something new for the sake of it, as I'm really pleased with how things have progressed in the last month. Having said that, I have been thinking about trying another hybrid like the JPX 800 or RBZ to see if they have the same issue.

Am I better working hard at it with the G20 or trying something different?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hear your pain and similar issues with it too. When it goes well it's great but I can't seem to find any consistency and therefore confidence in the club. I've never liked the style of the head though so doubt that's helping and maybe should have gone for something different - the i20's look lush :whistle:

I worked on it at the range today and tried to ensure the face was pointing right/open at impact. Now I know it isn't actually doing that by the ball flight but struck a much higher percentage of decent shots with it there and on the course. Not sure if for me the offset bizarrely make me closed at impact and a double whammy...

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is just how I feel Amanda. I came away from the range thinking does the offset make me closed and should I open the club face a little. It's just such a funny club to look at at address. I've been very against trying it so far as my bad shot has always been the slice. I have been correcting that though with my irons by swinging more on plane. Thanks for reaffirming what I was thinking. :)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
That is just how I feel Amanda. I came away from the range thinking does the offset make me closed and should I open the club face a little. It's just such a funny club to look at at address. I've been very against trying it so far as my bad shot has always been the slice. I have been correcting that though with my irons by swinging more on plane. Thanks for reaffirming what I was thinking. :)

Same problem here. Now my long irons are going well I am massively struggling with my G15 hybrid for the same reasons. Any decent connection turns into a pull/hook because of the offset. Currently it's in the naughty cupboard and the 3 iron is in the bag and working much better. However hitting a 3 iron off the deck is tricky so I'm thinking a 5 wood might be the best option.

Last edited:

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had the same problem with my g15. It just shouts hook me. I binned it and brought a secondhand g10. Much prettier to look at, a slight amount of offset but not much and I dont hook the beejesus out of it. The rapture V2 is worth a look as well as it sits fairly neutral.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say stick with it, I have a G20 23° and it's my go to club from most postions I can manage a good clean strike and get a lovely high flight which stops quickly on a green, unlike my Di11 5 iron which is very much in the naughty cupboard and confined to off the tee only or not used.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had the same problem with my g15. It just shouts hook me. I binned it and brought a secondhand g10. Much prettier to look at, a slight amount of offset but not much and I dont hook the beejesus out of it. The rapture V2 is worth a look as well as it sits fairly neutral.

Just bought a 19 degree G5 for the same reason to give it a go. It seems to have helped me hit the G20 better!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just bought a 19 degree G5 for the same reason to give it a go. It seems to have helped me hit the G20 better!

I have got G5 16 and 19 degree hybrids, and am currently bidding on a 22 degree on ebay. Much prefer to the later models. Fingers crossed I dont lose out.;) All have prolaunch blue in stiff shaft which seems to suit me well.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to admit to the same issue,why do manufacturers build so much offset into clubs? Not all us duffers slice it,if your prone to the occasional left these clubs are a mare! I popped in a TM R11 and set it open which works well.As for Ping I've hit the v2 and the G10 also the I15 and they all sit much more neutral.

Artoist

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ah ,not just me that had a nightmare then.I have a 20 degree G20 hybrid and was having issues with it,I found if i play club with an open stance i get much more consistant shots

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
I struggle with my G20 Hybrid to be honest, but i know its obviously just me and not the club. I hate the way it looks more than anything my old john letters t8 hybrid was bang on and should of kept it

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear it's not just me that has had issues with the offset. I'm going to keep on working at it for now, but if to no avail, I'll look at other options.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never liked the G series hybrids. The I versions are much better looking and less offset. Nothing wrong with trying a few others and see how you get on. Clearly its a confidence thing if not technique and I can't see how you'll get confident looking down on a club you don't like

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Homer. I think when I bought it, I swung the club completely differently to how I do now. I used to break my wrists early and swing under plane. At one point, I hit it not bad, but not now. I feel a little nervous about trying the i20 as I'm trying to break 100 at the mo. Feel I wouldn't do it justice although I'm not doing the G20 much to be honest!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out with 3 clubs and a putter today, and the G20 Hybrid was one of them
beautiful club
Stop hitting them so hard and you will get highly consistent results
All of those that dont like your 23s, and anyone with a 27 i'll take them off you if they are close to a red dot)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Homer. I think when I bought it, I swung the club completely differently to how I do now. I used to break my wrists early and swing under plane. At one point, I hit it not bad, but not now. I feel a little nervous about trying the i20 as I'm trying to break 100 at the mo. Feel I wouldn't do it justice although I'm not doing the G20 much to be honest!

I had another good day with the G20 today and hit some beauties. Main difference is ensuring the shaft is totally neutral at address and thinking about the face pointing right at impact. I think the offset has confused my eye and I'm exaggerating it at address and impact. I even took it at the Par 3 16th into wind and previously would have hit my 5 iron knowing it could be short.

So stick with it a while longer. I don't 100% have confidence in it yet but know it can work and it's the workman not the tool (mainly!)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I had another good day with the G20 today and hit some beauties. Main difference is ensuring the shaft is totally neutral at address and thinking about the face pointing right at impact. I think the offset has confused my eye and I'm exaggerating it at address and impact. I even took it at the Par 3 16th into wind and previously would have hit my 5 iron knowing it could be short.

So stick with it a while longer. I don't 100% have confidence in it yet but know it can work and it's the workman not the tool (mainly!)

Interesting thoughts Amanda. I'll take it out tomorrow and see how I get on.

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
I also have the G20 20 Deg. Off a tee and sitting up in the second cut I rip it. I struggle with it off a tight fairway. I now rarely use it off a tight lie. I like the look of the head but dont always hit it great.
As someone said,just let it swing through.