PING fitting South of England

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a really good Ping fitter in the South of England?

Need to have a proper range of shafts and not want to charge £60 for a 30 min fitting session!!

Would rather drive all the way up to Lincolnshire!

Ian

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Having had a quick look, if you buy they reduce the fitting cost down to £20, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Seems perfectly reasonably to me. I guess it's there to stop people getting a free fitting then buggering off somewhere else to buy knowing what shafts and lie angles etc they need

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
And completely stops the customer from finding the best price

But why should they give you a free session with very expesnive equipment and trained professionals if they don't get anything out of it at the end. At the end of the day it's a business not a service, so either you pay for the fitting then choose whether you want to buy from them at a discounted price or somewhere else. Or you buy off the rack and hope they fit you.

When I'm buying fitted clubs I expect to pay for the fitting session. Just like if buying a tailored suit i wouldn't get annoyed that I'm paying for the tailoring service on top of the materials

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And completely stops the customer from finding the best price

What's the best price you can find that includes a 2.5 hour full bag fitting, club distance analysis and a yardage check on your new clubs?

Also, the benefit of Silvermere is you're not tied to one particular brand.

£100 for all that doesn't sound bad to me even if you then purchase elsewhere. But as above, why should they give that to you for free?

In any case, are they actually more expensive than other retailers? What would be the true cost (i.e. difference in price of irons plus the £20 fitting not refunded) of the fitting?

As always, if they're not offering good value for money, exercise your consumer right to shop elsewhere.

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
But why should they give you a free session with very expesnive equipment and trained professionals if they don't get anything out of it at the end. At the end of the day it's a business not a service, so either you pay for the fitting then choose whether you want to buy from them at a discounted price or somewhere else. Or you buy off the rack and hope they fit you.

When I'm buying fitted clubs I expect to pay for the fitting session. Just like if buying a tailored suit i wouldn't get annoyed that I'm paying for the tailoring service on top of the materials

Errrr maybe by paying a £2,500 annual fee you expect something back that doesn't cost even more money?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Errrr maybe by paying a £2,500 annual fee you expect something back that doesn't cost even more money?

Does your annual subs entitle you to free fittings and the professionals advice ? I rather doubt it, your paying for a professional service, £100.00 for 2 hours + seems very good value to me.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your annual subs entitle you to free fittings and the professionals advice ? I rather doubt it, your paying for a professional service, £100.00 for 2 hours + seems very good value to me.

Also, isn't the membership at Kingswood and the fitting at Silvermere? The commonality is the owner, it isn't the same club.

£100 for loads of advice, £20 if you buy the clubs (6 irons and 1 wood). If their prices are way off, have that conversation with them, they might budge.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, isn't the membership at Kingswood and the fitting at Silvermere? The commonality is the owner, it isn't the same club.

£100 for loads of advice, £20 if you buy the clubs (6 irons and 1 wood). If their prices are way off, have that conversation with them, they might budge.

From my visits to Silvermere I would say their prices are pretty much the going rate and so won't be too much difference, and as you say you can try out numerous brands to find the right shaft/head combo for you.

Plus a fitting like that, the stats and measurements will be correct for around 5 years so should you get new club(s) within the 5 year period then you wouldn't need another fitting

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Makes you wonder why your lessons, bar tab, balls aren't free as well.

Or it could be because your membership fees don't include free fitting sessions. As I said they want to sell equipment, it's a business after all they need to make money in order to pay their staff.

They provide a very good fitting session, which costs money in over heads (they have the brand new tacking maching) plus someone to spend 2 hours giving you advise and helping you out. To give this to you for free would in fact cost Silvermere money. That's fine if you buy the equipment there as it covers the costs, hence why they discount.

If they did it for free though, I'd bet my bottom dollar that people would get the free fitting then sod off to AG or GolfOnline buy the exact same thing for a bit less, which in the end costs Silvermere money and business

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Makes you wonder why your lessons, bar tab, balls aren't free as well.

Or it could be because your membership fees don't include free fitting sessions. As I said they want to sell equipment, it's a business after all they need to make money in order to pay their staff.

They provide a very good fitting session, which costs money in over heads (they have the brand new tacking maching) plus someone to spend 2 hours giving you advise and helping you out. To give this to you for free would in fact cost Silvermere money. That's fine if you buy the equipment there as it covers the costs, hence why they discount.

If they did it for free though, I'd bet my bottom dollar that people would get the free fitting then sod off to AG or GolfOnline buy the exact same thing for a bit less, which in the end costs Silvermere money and business

Which presumably is what the OP wants to do, hence the outrage.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are quibbling about the cost of a fitting in the south and you said you would rather drive to Lincolnshire and only pay £40. Sounds a great deal but oh yes, I am sure you will have to pay for fuel there and back. If you don't do it in a day there's a b&b to pay for. Then factor in your time. All of a sudden that £100 at Silvermere doesn't sound too bad

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's just me then

Callaway Chessington fitting was completely free of charge - no cost at all

Ping Gainsborough only wanted £30 and have a full range of shafts available

To find somewhere down south with a range of Ping shafts in a different length to standard is not easy and I thought £80, £100 whatever was pretty steep for a fitting charge - most fitters down here only have three shafts

But as I said maybe it's me