Ping Alta CB 55 Soft Regular Shaft

Hoganman1

Visit site
Does anyone on the forum play this shaft? I have a regular flex in my Ping G400. It's not performing as it once did and at age 71, I'm thinking it's time to go with a senior flex. Please share your thoughts with me. I found one online for $86. I'm thinking it's worth a try.
Thanks

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a Ping fitting last Autumn and ended up with Alta CB SR shafts - 65 for the fairways, 70 for the hybrids. They have proved to suit me perfectly - and I'm considerably older than you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interestingly I had a Ping fitting recently and the fitter wanted me to go to S flex and I am nearly your age. Age is no real guide to swing speed.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Interestingly I had a Ping fitting recently and the fitter wanted me to go to S flex and I am nearly your age. Age is no real guide to swing speed.
Good for you. I'm envious. I forgot to mention that I have a torn right rotator cuff. My drives now are 185 to 200. I was around 220 before that happened. I know I could just move up a set of tees, but my group likes to play from 6250. I can still hang with them. However, it would be easier if I could get it out there a little farther off the tee. I'm hoping a softer shaft will help.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For that price give it a go .
Golf has a habit of being the opposite of what you think though.
If any of your pps have one can you try theirs.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well now I'm confused. I had a pro at our course lend me a demo and I had pretty good success with it. It was a Callaway Epic Speed 9* with a 5.0 Project X Cypher 40g shaft. I was surprised I was able to get the nine degree airborne, but I did and it was pretty long. He also said the cypher shaft was a regular flex. He's on the Callaway staff so I assume he knows their specs. I started to get him to do a fitting with that club at both 9* and 10.5*. The only problem is that club costs $530. I'm thinking I should just stick with my Ping G400 until the price drops on that Epic Speed when their new offerings come out in January. I've always stayed a generation or two behind when buying drivers because one can save over $100 by doing so.
As for the Ping Alta senior shaft; I hate to buy something without getting to demo it. I've tried some senior flex shafts before in other drivers and they weren't that great. I have two in the garage right now that no one wants to buy. I'm thinking going with a lighter r flex my be the best bet for me.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I keep a senior flex shaft for my driver on standby. When I take a longish period off due to injury it goes in until I am swinging normally. I have had had it for many years and luckily TM have not changed their adaptors for many years either so although I have changed the driver the shaft still fits

If you buy and do not get on with it now you might at some time in the future.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I keep a senior flex shaft for my driver on standby. When I take a longish period off due to injury it goes in until I am swinging normally. I have had had it for many years and luckily TM have not changed their adaptors for many years either so although I have changed the driver the shaft still fits

If you buy and do not get on with it now you might at some time in the future.
That's a great point. As I age, what works now may not work so well a year from now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think stiffness and weight both need to be considered. If you are a decent ball striker who gets a decent shape on the shot, a light weight might be enough, and you can now get decent shafts in the 40-gram range. The weight has a strong influence on whether you can get the head back to the ball, and the flex has more of an influence on how the face responds at impact.