Phone upgrade

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ave made the decision am going back to an iPhone. Loads of reasons as to why but am not really bothered about the whys and why Nots. What is bugging me big style is EE. I called them the other day and after I had shopped around, they offered me a deal That more or less matched one I had seen online. I told the nice lady to save it on file and I will contact EE in a Couple of days once I double checked online. I called EE this afternoon to order the phone/ contract and the guy said nope nowt has been saved but let’s have a look. He proceeded to offer me a deal with 100gb of data. I explained that 100 gb is miles to much. Ave not used that this year. I said do me a deal with less data. He couldn’t, he said the price would go up if he did. What’s that all about. I said am not in a hurry to change coz the iPhone 13 is out next month. So I asked for sim only. It was a ridiculous price. Twice as much as what Missis T is paying on my account. I get the distinct impression that EE are selling what they want and not what the customer wants.
The obvious thing to do would be to change mobile supplier but with Missis T on my account and father in law who has dementia it’s not so straight forward.
Suffice to say am bogged off with EE.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ave made the decision am going back to an iPhone. Loads of reasons as to why but am not really bothered about the whys and why Nots. What is bugging me big style is EE. I called them the other day and after I had shopped around, they offered me a deal That more or less matched one I had seen online. I told the nice lady to save it on file and I will contact EE in a Couple of days once I double checked online. I called EE this afternoon to order the phone/ contract and the guy said nope nowt has been saved but let’s have a look. He proceeded to offer me a deal with 100gb of data. I explained that 100 gb is miles to much. Ave not used that this year. I said do me a deal with less data. He couldn’t, he said the price would go up if he did. What’s that all about. I said am not in a hurry to change coz the iPhone 13 is out next month. So I asked for sim only. It was a ridiculous price. Twice as much as what Missis T is paying on my account. I get the distinct impression that EE are selling what they want and not what the customer wants.
The obvious thing to do would be to change mobile supplier but with Missis T on my account and father in law who has dementia it’s not so straight forward.
Suffice to say am bogged off with EE.
Totally get what you mean. The whole ‘upgrade’ charade at the end of a contact is a complete rip off. The deals offered are typically way more expensive than offered to those not ‘upgrading’ for the same package. I end up having to change networks at the end of each contact to get a decent deal and porting the number across.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Totally get what you mean. The whole ‘upgrade’ charade at the end of a contact is a complete rip off. The deals offered are typically way more expensive than offered to those not ‘upgrading’ for the same package. I end up having to change networks at the end of each contact to get a decent deal and porting the number across.
What’s bogged me off even more, Ave just had a quick peruse online and seen the same deal offered through a third party.So it’s not as if EE are giving a long standing customer any favours.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Just get the best deal you can get and port your number over. Does it matter if you have an EE account and another with a different supplier?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just get the best deal you can get and port your number over. Does it matter if you have an EE account and another with a different supplier?
Do you mean getting an EE contact with another company, such as Carphone Warehouse, as opposed to EE direct? If so, you can’t port an EE number across to another EE contact with different company and you still have to go via the ‘upgrade’ route. I did get around this some years ago by getting the number ported to an O2 SIM card for a few days and then back to a new EE provider, but it’s a lot of effort when it shouldn’t really be needed (plus the cost of the SIM card).

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you mean getting an EE contact with another company, such as Carphone Warehouse, as opposed to EE direct? If so, you can’t port an EE number across to another EE contact with different company and you still have to go via the ‘upgrade’ route. I did get around this some years ago by getting the number ported to an O2 SIM card for a few days and then back to a new EE provider, but it’s a lot of effort when it shouldn’t really be needed (plus the cost of the SIM card).

I litterally do the port to existing network every year with O2 .. is it an ee thing that they can't / won't do it?

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
No I mean simply change operator. If you have the same number does it matter if your with O2, Vodafone or whoever? The bit about keeping the EE account was more in respects of having his wife's contract still with them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Its a bit of a faff. But get the best EE deal you can and get a cheap PAYG sim from another network.

Then port your current number to the PAYG network. Wait 24 hours, then port it to the new EE contract.

I've been doing this every 2 years since BT Cellnet became Tmobile.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Got three contracts in the house, originally all with Three. I used to upgrade my iPhone every 2 years, and the wife would take my old one unless I'd dropped it and broken it. Wedge Junior doesn't like Apple so he currently has a Sony. 2 years ago, we switched him to O2 via Mobile Phones Direct. No pain, the number stayed, the standing order changed, easy as. He's up for renewal now and looking to take on the contract himself, so one less for me to worry about.

Mrs Wedge is currently using my old XR on a £5 monthly SIM only. When I got my iPhone 12, I went direct to Apple and bought it from them on interest free. Now on a £10 a month SIM only deal with Three, combined, the deal was a few quid cheaper than the best upgrade offer Three could do.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Been with virgin mobile that long I now get my sim for free. They gave me a £10 lifetime discount a few years ago and this year added another £15 lifetime discount. As my sim deal was £20 a month I now get a bill every month for 0.00.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you upgrade through your network directly you get the worst deals. Do it through mobilephonesdirect or other similar website and you get a much better deal.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you upgrade through your network directly you get the worst deals. Do it through mobilephonesdirect or other similar website and you get a much better deal.
I have found the opposite with Vodafone. I phone them up when one of our contracts is due to expire and usually get a good deal. Have been with them for 20+ years when I first got a mobile. I stayed with them originally for the military discount which isn't availabel through 3rd party suppliers but even now I have left they still offer a decent loyalty discount and work quite hard to find a good deal. I think the trick is to ring up and deal with a human being :)

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm due a upgrade, I'm with Sky but not a fan off the phones on offer, unfortunately I don't want to leave Sky as one of the main things is the free streaming for sky apps (I use this a lot)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm with Tesco, but they don't always have the phones I want. So all I do is look around for a good deal on a sub £200 phone that meets my need and buy that, and get the SIM Only deal. I don't want the latest top-end phone. There are plenty of perfectly good phones that do what I need, so that works for me.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just changed mine. After about 8 years on Android, moved to iPhone 12 as it was the best price/deal but what a ball ache moving across. They don't half make it hard for the user.

Had to pay for 3rd party software to transfer whatsapp back-up so I didn't lose convo's/details held in convos.

Not impressed so far.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I've just changed mine. After about 8 years on Android, moved to iPhone 12 as it was the best price/deal but what a ball ache moving across. They don't half make it hard for the user.

Had to pay for 3rd party software to transfer whatsapp back-up so I didn't lose convo's/details held in convos.

Not impressed so far.

I have had a look and apparently there’s links online how to change from Android to apple.I remember it was a ball ache 2 years ago swapping from apple to android.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have had a look and apparently there’s links online how to change from Android to apple.I remember it was a ball ache 2 years ago swapping from apple to android.

There’s plenty of guides but the general rule of thumb is that if it needs a guide then it’s not well designed.

A lot of the rest of the user interface seems clunky and ill thought out as well.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s plenty of guides but the general rule of thumb is that if it needs a guide then it’s not well designed.

A lot of the rest of the user interface seems clunky and ill thought out as well.

Nothing to do with design tho. They make it hard for a reason to keep you on that phone

I had to lose my convos to go to android. Glad I left

On second android tho and the switch between was seemless

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing to do with design tho. They make it hard for a reason to keep you on that phone

I had to lose my convos to go to android. Glad I left

On second android tho and the switch between was seemless

That's pretty much the essence of design. They have designed it to be difficult, it's not accidental.

The jury is very much out but the lack of a decent MP3 player already has me considering returning it inside the 14 days.