PHONE SCAMS

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Evening all,
Just heard from a colleague, who told me that a client of his has just transferred £90,000 to a scam artist.

He was told that fraud had happened on his bank account, and, to protect the rest of his cash, he should move money to a keep it secure.
Obviously it wasn’t official, but they convinced him it was.
Whilst we all assume we wouldn’t get caught out, many do.
So please Folks, don’t get caught out.
If you aren’t sure, don’t act!
Contact your bank, or the police…also please warn/advise older relatives, as they seem to get caught out most often.
If it didn’t work
The scum wouldn’t try it!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My mother-in-law, who was in the early stages of dementia, was conned a number of times by the same person. On each occasion the scammer purported to be from a different company. The sums for each scam weren’t huge but the number of them, including the Direct Debits, over months reached into the tens of thousands.

D-S

Visit site
We have a call blocker on our phone. It's helped massively in eliminating scan calls.
We did this for my mother and MIL. Stopped all the hassle and potentially bigger problems immediately.
We should have done it sooner, works so well we bought a BT phone with it on for ourselves.
A simple but really effective cure.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Same thing happened a few weeks ago to one of my subcontractors, Polish guy got tricked into transferring the contents of his personal account, his savings account and even his business account after spending an hour on the phone to some well spoken English guy who told him his accounts had suspicious activities on them! The scumbags.
Part of the scam was the caller ID showing the same number as the Fraud number on the back of his Debit cards!

Next day he logged on to accounts to make sure the money was put back in and he obviously that’s when he realised. Poor guy was distraught, called me up in tears!

Initially the bank were not helpful at all but he took a few days off to go to his branch and press them on how they had let it happen and about a week later they gave him his money back. Quite right too, no way should he be allowed to empty the contents of 3 bank accounts within an hour to an unknown account. Bank’s security obviously was at fault otherwise they would not have refunded him.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Evening all,
Just heard from a colleague, who told me that a client of his has just transferred £90,000 to a scam artist.

He was told that fraud had happened on his bank account, and, to protect the rest of his cash, he should move money to a keep it secure.
Obviously it wasn’t official, but they convinced him it was.
Whilst we all assume we wouldn’t get caught out, many do.
So please Folks, don’t get caught out.
If you aren’t sure, don’t act!
Contact your bank, or the police…also please warn/advise older relatives, as they seem to get caught out most often.
If it didn’t work
The scum wouldn’t try it!

Number one tip. Always tell anyone that calls you about your bank account that you will hang up and phone the banks fraud number. I did this once and within 15 minutes I was talking to the same guy who had called me about suspicious activity on my credit card!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Number one tip. Always tell anyone that calls you about your bank account that you will hang up and phone the banks fraud number. I did this once and within 15 minutes I was talking to the same guy who had called me about suspicious activity on my credit card!

One of the problems with this is they do not hang up their end, hand the phone to someone else and you think you are talking to the bank.

If you are going to phone to check it is important to use another phone line.

Apparently they are very good at making people not make phone calls to appropriate authorities as it will ruin the fraud investigation by alerting those involved in the fraud within the baking system.