PGA Championship

evemccc

Visit site
Why is it true ?

If anything it’s prob the strongest field of the 4 majors if it’s not the most exclusive

A major becomes one over time due to its history and significance over those years

You don’t just pick it up and move it to another country when it’s governing by a sporting body that isn’t based around the world.

The US is the biggest golf market and it’s not a surprise that 3 of the majors are based there. If they do make another one then it really should be based around Scotland due to history

Do you think more pro golfers want to win this or the US Open, Masters, Open?

I would bet everything I own on it coming 4th out of 4..

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think more pro golfers want to win this or the US Open, Masters, Open?

I would bet everything I own on it coming 4th out of 4..

I would suspect all Pro Golfers would snap your hands off if they were offered the US PGA - it’s a major and a player will go down in the history books as a major winner. It may not have the history of the other three and as I said it’s not as exclusive as the other three but it’s still the 4th biggest tournament in the sport, and one that every single golfer wants to win.

AussieKB

Visit site
I read an article recently where the majority of people said they would prefer to win one Master's then 4 PGA titles, think if you asked a pro if he would like 1 Major of 4 Major's then the answer could be a lot different.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Every Major has its tagline (they probably didn’t pick their own) that gets trotted out each time it comes round
Masters – Only Major at same course
US Open – Toughest Course set up
The Open – Oldest Major
PGA – Strongest field

Although most of these tags are ‘earned’ by default and are pretty meaningless in terms of ranking them
i.e this one is run by the Professional Golfers' Association… so there’s no amateurs… therefore the ‘field’ is the 'strongest' when compared to the other three Majors that do allow amateurs, duh
Strongest doesn’t mean that field strength has any meaningful advantage compared to other Majors

evemccc

Visit site
I would suspect all Pro Golfers would snap your hands off if they were offered the US PGA - it’s a major and a player will go down in the history books as a major winner. It may not have the history of the other three and as I said it’s not as exclusive as the other three but it’s still the 4th biggest tournament in the sport, and one that every single golfer wants to win.

Yes, it’s a major so everybody wants to win it. Yes, so it’s the 4th out of 4 for many non-pro golfers, and highly likely 4th for the majority of tour-pro golfers

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even at our own club level its great to win at least one competition a year, I'm certain every pro golfer would be delighted to win any competition, and certainly if it's a Major !

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, it’s a major so everybody wants to win it. Yes, so it’s the 4th out of 4 for many non-pro golfers, and highly likely 4th for the majority of tour-pro golfers

I’m not sure the point tbh

Yes most would see it 4th out of the 4 majors - but it’s still a major.

It’s like with the slams in tennis - they have the Aussie Open as prob the 4th in the list of what people would want to win

But it’s not a choice when winning , the players want to win them all and if someone only wins a couple PGA’s he still goes down as a major winner

It’s a step up from all the other events that a pro plays outside the majors.

D

Deleted member 1147

This is the Major that should be moved out of the US and just called the PGA, so can be played all around the world, but that is not going to happen, as far as the US is concerned golf does not exist anywhere else.
...and which PGA will be running it? i doubt the PGA of AMERICA will like their event being moved from where they are based.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
...and which PGA will be running it? i doubt the PGA of AMERICA will like their event being moved from where they are based.

Of course not.

But one of the four, going round the world rather than being the US has to be good for golf. But it'd take a 5th designated to achieve it.

You'd need a Rota of top courses to rotate. That would be interesting!

Springveldt

Visit site
Its the biggest major trophy in golf for me.
Easily, it's bloody enormous.

1573341823104.jpeg

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's not LIV versus the PGA or any other tour, it's a Major so everyone for themselves.
I couldn’t agree more with you unfortunately Greg Norman don’t agree with us. He said at the last Major that if one of the LIV guys wins, we/ the LIV guys are gonna do a group hug and photo session. In fact he went out of his way to say how hurt he was coz he never had an invitation to Augusta. Bearing in mind he had not turned up when previously invited. He was also told that this week is about a Major/ Augusta not him or LIV. I have heard nowt since to convince me this Major will not be the same.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well the PGA Championship is almost upon us, who are we thinking will lift the title this week…..

Always hard to look past Rahm but as a slight outsider I think Cameron Smith might get the job done if he can keep his putter hot.

Rory again always has a chance, but he needs to keep a clear head and just concentrate on the golf.

Here’s hoping for an exciting few days 😀
Beyond the obvious suspects it feels like a pretty sizable pool have a decent chance this week. I expect to lose a few bets but am really looking forward to it 👍

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time to name who isn’t going to win it this year 🤣
I’ll be backing…
Rahm
Scheffler
Koepka
Smith
Speith (if playing)

First time in a long time I won’t be backing Rory so he’s the certain winner lol.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Time to name who isn’t going to win it this year 🤣
I’ll be backing…
Rahm
Scheffler
Koepka
Smith

Speith (if playing)

First time in a long time I won’t be backing Rory so he’s the certain winner lol.
These two are double-effed then since I have them too. Along with Wyndham Clark, a spur of the moment pick as I seem to have heard his name a lot lately.