Pesky Ping demo clubs

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
So the pros at the club do a decent deal where a couple of nights a week you can have a full basket of range balls for a quid less than normal and one of them wanders about giving your swing a look over. Guess it is good way of drumming up lesson business and it quite useful if you have had a lesson (I did last month) for a quick check over & pointers.

Anyway, he walks in with bag of demo pings - hands me two clubs. An I25 (I think, may have been I20) with a project x 5.5, and an Anser forged with a CFC stiff.

Have to say I was absolutely striping them, really close to the target. Once he pops over - good news the change been working on bedding in well and he is impressed with the hits. Wind was dead against and was noticeable the flight was a tad lower than my current regular sticks and was holding the line better. Whilst not especially interested in distance with irons they did by eye look longer - no doubt helped by not ballooning as much.

He then grabbed me a S56 in CFC stiff, and that went well also.

Few years back I had a bag full of regular shafts, driver went first then last year with the GM/Adams day I ended up with stiff wood and hybrids. So I have been suspecting a I sort this swing out I might be heading for stiff irons.

I know regular and stiff are not precise - how do these ping CFCs compare to other shafts?

I had not budgeted for a full custom fit this year! Cue some auction site interest no doubt.

To try and curb the urge I did pop out for 3 holes after. 2 GIR and the other on line but short - so at least that helps!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hard to compare unless you get on a monitor and look at the numbers for an exact comparison. Of course you can do it the old fashioned way and just hit balls and try like for like but if you are interested in new Ping (and why wouldn't you) I would get the numbers. Try different flex and see how they match and use yours as a reference

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Iain,

I did a ping fitting recently, see here for write up.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...ce-at-Ping-Gainsbourgh&highlight=ping+fitting

I did ask how their CFS shafts compare against others (as there is no such thing as a standard regular / stiff etc it emerges). Ping fitter I worked with said Ping shafts tended to be be a little softer than some, so a ping CFS stiff is Regular ++ or Stiff - for other makes. Certainly tallied with me as I tried KBS Stiff as part of Iron fitting and found it to be too stiff for me, but the Ping CFS stiff was spot on so emphasising benefit of at least trying before spending money if not the custom fit option. (btw, Driver swing speed circa 96 mph if that helps).

Simon

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The CFS is a really good shaft, they play pretty true to flex. A lot of people say they feel wippy, but that tends to be players that prefer heavier shafts.
It would be worthwhile finding out which shaft works best for your swing

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As SVB says, the CFC is just short of what many say is stiff. The PX 5.5's similarly so. I can't get by with either the DG S300 nor the KBS tour stiff but found the CFC's decent at a demo day.

At the end of the day, its whatever works for you.