Personal top 10 drummers; no judging or criteria

dronfield

Visit site
According to a well known on-line encyclopaedia "Withers left the band in the summer of 1982, soon after completing the Love Over Gold sessions, to spend more time with his family and to pursue jazz music. He reportedly told an interviewer that he had succumbed to a growing feeling that there was nothing left in the music for him and that he was in danger of "becoming a rock drummer".

I keep looking at the guitar ones & thinking about ones that others have chosen & there's others still that could make that one that haven't been mentioned by anybody. Did you forget, or did his relative absence just make him less memorable, if you get what I mean?

They found a top notch replacement though in Terry Williams - fantastic drummer.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
For my tastes in music

Dave Lombardo
Neil Peart ?
Nicko McBrain
Mike Portnoy
Ryan van Poederooyen
Mike Magini
Lars Ulrich
Igor Cavalera
Nick Menza
Paul Bostaph

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The first four are easy:

John Bonham
Keith Moon
Bill Bruford
Pierre Moerlen

picking another six was difficult:

Michael Giles
Pip Pyle
Narada Michael Walden
Simon Philips
John Marshall
Terry Bozzio

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saw him last year playing with Bootleg Blondie, having already seen him a few times with the real band. He has also played with many top artists and is without doubt, in my, and many others' opinion, probably the best post punk drummer. Awesome live :)

There is a clip of him playing Dreaming on Top of the Pops which is far and away the best drumming performance on ToTP when most of them mailed it in big-time. He goes totally Keith Moon for three minutes and even overshadows Debbie Harry which takes some doing as she was seriously hot in the late 70s.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a clip of him playing Dreaming on Top of the Pops which is far and away the best drumming performance on ToTP when most of them mailed it in big-time. He goes totally Keith Moon for three minutes and even overshadows Debbie Harry which takes some doing as she was seriously hot in the late 70s.

Just watched that.
He reminds me of Steve Moore, the mad drummer.

D

Deleted member 1147

If anyone is interested in drummers and drumming, check out the Sky Arts series The Art of Drumming, hosted by Steve White of the style council.
Excellent series featuring the history of drumming, different styles and a countdown of some of the top players in history.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If anyone is interested in drummers and drumming, check out the Sky Arts series The Art of Drumming, hosted by Steve White of the style council.
Excellent series featuring the history of drumming, different styles and a countdown of some of the top players in history.

Thanks James, might take a look. Any clue on the time & day?

D

Deleted member 1147

Thanks James, might take a look. Any clue on the time & day?
It’s a series I have recorded.
It may be available on demand/catchup or YouTube.

As a drummer in my youth i found it very informative. Indeed it’s making me consider getting an electric kit for the lockdown.

D

Deleted member 1147

Since the lockdown has resulted in me ordering a new kit (all be it anelectric kit), I’m going to add myself, JamesR, to my list of favourite drummers.
Although it’s about 25 years since I last played seriously.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since the lockdown has resulted in me ordering a new kit (all be it anelectric kit), I’m going to add myself, JamesR, to my list of favourite drummers.
Although it’s about 25 years since I last played seriously.

What kit did you get mate?
Wish I could fit a leccy kit in my house but the missus would kill me ?

D

Deleted member 1147

What kit did you get mate?
Wish I could fit a leccy kit in my house but the missus would kill me ?
It’s only the entry level Roland kit, TD1D-MK.
But it should suffice until I can get some lessons and then move back to an acoustic kit, or a proper full scale leccy kit .

The advantage of leccy kits is that you play whilst listening via headphones, so nowhere near as loud as the acoustic kits.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Given I've seen him loads, first with Squeeze then many times with Jools Holland and no one else will agree as you lot haven't mentioned him

Gilson Lavis

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s only the entry level Roland kit, TD1D-MK.
But it should suffice until I can get some lessons and then move back to an acoustic kit, or a proper full scale leccy kit .

The advantage of leccy kits is that you play whilst listening via headphones, so nowhere near as loud as the acoustic kits.

Full mesh heads though mate, looks a cracking bit of kit ?