Personal golf courses

sunshine

Visit site
If you had enough money, would you build your own golf course in your back garden?

I just discovered the owner of a house outside my village has built a 9 hole course on his estate. It's proper USGA spec greens, full length holes etc, but he is worth $160 billion so cost is irrelevant. I've seen quite a few pros have maybe a green and a bunker to practise their short game (there are lots of photos of Tiger's Jupiter Island set up), but would you build a full course?

Personally, I'd rather play a top course than have my own course. Firstly, I wouldn't be able to recreate the challenge of a Colt or MacKenzie classic, but mainly I see golf as a social sport. Maybe I'll knock on his door and ask if he fancies a game :ROFLMAO:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Id look to have a 2 or 3 greens and a handful of tees so that you could play multiple holes in a relatively small space, no need to worry about anyone else being in the way :)

D

Deleted member 1147

Didn’t the Floridian used to be a private club for one bloke and his wife?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With a 9 hole course in your back garden you'd need a Greenkeeper too...
Not a problem if you're worth millions.
Even maintaining a couple of greens and tees would be hard enough to keep up with..

4LEX

Visit site
No way. Home should be about relaxing. I'd have a man cave with simulator and bar but nothing else golf related.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my mates has his own 9 holer. One of his problems has been getting somebody to maintain it and he often has had to a lot of the maintenance himself.

Not sure it is something I would like to take on

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
100% I would. As much as golf is a social activity. I love playing golf on my own.

Being able to walk out of your house onto a course knowing its in perfect condition and you won't have anyone in your way would be amazing.

We've had an exploratory look at a few houses near us that are for sale. One has a large pond and a few acres of field with a bit of sparse woodland attached. I did mention to the Mrs it would make an ideal 3 hole golf course and practice range.
She is a lot less enthusiastic than I am about it.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
For me it would be the age old mentality of it being in your back garden and would never use it.... like the gym in my garage.

Money no object, I’d honestly stay at Hindhead and join somewhere local with a really good practice area. Extend the garage to fit a simulator room with GC Quad.... and a bar.

As nice as millionaires golf is, I’d miss the social aspect of it too much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe a three-hole course for practise/fun. But then I'd probably end up not using it much because if you have the time you'd go and play golf at a real course, with another person potentially.

Overall this makes more sense:
Personally I’d be happy with a simulator room
Just do that, then you can mess about on it, playing world famous courses and what-have-you.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With that wealth it probably depends on level of fame. I know there are clubs which cater for the famous but you may want a course you can just play yourself.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I just discovered the owner of a house outside my village has built a 9 hole course on his estate. It's proper USGA spec greens, full length holes etc, but he is worth $160 billion so cost is irrelevant.
A former work mate of mine had a neighbour who commuted to London by helicopter while he was taking the train in for a couple of hours each way. Sound like the same (type of?) guy.

I probably would like to, but likely not do it. It must be very hard to maintain, but in the other hand, at that money I could hire a couple if green keepers.

But I surely give the GC quad guys a call for advise about how big my extension should be ...

Now, let’s check the Euromillion ...

4LEX

Visit site
One of my mates has his own 9 holer. One of his problems has been getting somebody to maintain it and he often has had to a lot of the maintenance himself.

Not sure it is something I would like to take on

Who would build a 9 hole course and not get a greenkeeper in? Like buying a private jet and flying it yourself. Worthless.