Pencil / scratch bag?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Contemplating a pencil bag for summer anyone here use one?

Generally I only carry 12 clubs but thought the pencil bags were aimed more at a half set? Would 12 clubs fit?

Never had one but I love the simplicity.

Boomy

Visit site
I’ve got an old (c2009) Titleist pencil stand bag which I use for summer evenings travelling light - it’ll easily take a full set but obviously the grips will tangle a bit. I generally carry around 8-10 clubs.

There’s a thread on here somewhere, from last summer that we put photos on for travelling light summer evening games. I’m sure @Lord Tyrion started it but could be wrong.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a pencil bag that I acquired from a kind fellow on here. It's the very slim kind with no stand though - to be honest gets annoying having to lay it down on the ground and pick it up, so I end up wishing I just had a regular stand bag with me. I might be able to fit a full set in it, but I feel like every time I took a club out about 4 others would come with it. I'll probably only use this bag for the driving range now really.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That just looks like a regular stand bag, albeit a small one. I wonder where they draw the line between a stand and a pencil stand bag? :LOL:

Boomy

Visit site
That just looks like a regular stand bag, albeit a small one. I wonder where they draw the line between a stand and a pencil stand bag? :LOL:

It’s a pencil bag size but with a stand. Same size/diameter as the standard pencil bag. It is a lot smaller (and lighter) than a standard bag. It’s a shame they stopped making them as it’s a fab bag.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve got an old (c2009) Titleist pencil stand bag which I use for summer evenings travelling light - it’ll easily take a full set but obviously the grips will tangle a bit. I generally carry around 8-10 clubs.

There’s a thread on here somewhere, from last summer that we put photos on for travelling light summer evening games. I’m sure @Lord Tyrion started it but could be wrong.
Not me but I'll take the credit ?

phillarrow

Visit site
I've got the Callaway one with the little legs to keep it from the ground.
Nice little bag but I wouldn't carry 12 clubs in it. I stick to 7or 8.
Personally, if I was going to carry 12 clubs I'd be looking at a lightweight full size carry bag, rather than a pencil bag.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bought a new pencil bag last week. Took it to the range, the chipping green and done 11 solo holes with it. Took around 10 clubs in it. Should really take a couple less but wanted to hit a couple of clubs off the tee.

My wee tip for using a bag with no legs is to use an old putter that doesnt need a headcover. Its gets old pretty quick taking that off and on all the time.

Heres my caddy with the bag.

IMG-20220318-WA0026.jpg

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My Ping Moonlight bag will take 14 clubs, but it's best with a half set.
Tried a few but the moonlite is the best I've owned, predominantly because there is no stiff spine, so it folds in half to fit in my locker. The waterproof back for when it is laid on the floor is a nice touch also.

Finally, the blue and red colours are mint.

RichA

Visit site
Tried a few but the moonlite is the best I've owned, predominantly because there is no stiff spine, so it folds in half to fit in my locker. The waterproof back for when it is laid on the floor is a nice touch also.

Finally, the blue and red colours are mint.
The new one that's covered in Pingman logos is dreadful.
I really want it but can't justify it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a pro tekt one, bought for £30 on ebay just to have an alternative to the stand bag. You can easily fit in 14 clubs but is a bit of an annoying getting them in and out. So just have a half set in and can add an extra wedge or not depending on where I'm playing

I'm not playing much the now but when I do get back into it and need a new bag I'll be looking at the Jones carry bags as they seem to have more room in them and will be better storage for what I need.