Pebble Beach 18th

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
What would most likely happen if you were lucky enough to play this hole?

I can only envisage that lone cypress tree getting playing a pivotal role in my efforts, climaxed by a short missed putt on that sloping green

Attachments

• B618741C-DF01-46DB-9A22-AEFBA3D4247B.jpeg
    B618741C-DF01-46DB-9A22-AEFBA3D4247B.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 45

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I doubt the tree will be in play for most of us and with the popularity of the 'power fade' among your average amateur it doesn't look like a very dangerous hole at all

Net par (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First on the rocky shore left, reload into someone's back garden on the right, if that's not OB then three more to make the green and three putts.
Mark me down for a tidy 9.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I would have to hit long iron off the tee to keep it in play. Then it’s mod iron and a short iron. If the greens are US Open slick then putting will be a the part that costs me. Probably 4 putt.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Probably 2 shots down and through the right rough, then a shot over the bunker that runs to the back left of the green. 3 putt 6.

CallawayKid

Q-School Graduate
www.regimentway.co.uk
Lucky enough to play there a few years back, my room looked out onto the cypress trees and was great to watch some guys finishing their round in the dark :)

My drive had a touch of fade on it, 4W up the fairway, 9iron just to the left of the green...little chip onto the green and about an 8 foot putt for the par. Finished a memorable round!

CK

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just play my normal shot (a very slight left to right and let it happen). Would always be three shots to the green hole for me.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Lucky enough to play there a few years back, my room looked out onto the cypress trees and was great to watch some guys finishing their round in the dark :)

My drive had a touch of fade on it, 4W up the fairway, 9iron just to the left of the green...little chip onto the green and about an 8 foot putt for the par. Finished a memorable round!

CK

Did it live up to expectations? What a room

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As an inveterate hooker, I suspect a visit to the beach, the real one rather than the euphemistic one, might be on the agenda.

It is a great looking place. I visited, but didn't play, while heading up the Pacific Coast Highway, had a walk out to the ocean side of the 18th green early one morning before any players had got round that far.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
30yrs ago I stood under the tree behind the 18th green and pondered on the fact that I'd just been told in the shop that a tee time was available if I wanted to play in the next hour, and that to would cost me $100 - but my g/friend was telling me that I couldn't play as our budget for the day was $60. And I didn't play. So I got her to take a photo of me under the tree. Ho hum. Carpe Diem.

Like @Ethen - I'm guessing I'd have tightened up and done a smothered pull left.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
30yrs ago I stood under the tree behind the 18th green and pondered on the fact that I'd just been told in the shop that a tee time was available if I wanted to play in the next hour, and that to would cost me $100 - but my g/friend was telling me that I couldn't play as our budget for the day was $60. And I didn't play. So I got her to take a photo of me under the tree. Ho hum. Carpe Diem.

Like @Ethen - I'm guessing I'd have tightened up and done a smothered pull left.

I hope you dumped her!

D

Deleted member 23344

As somebody who tends to drive it straight (but not long), with the occasional slice, the beach wouldn’t particularly worry me. Probably take me four to get to the green, which is where the horror show could start. My guess is a 7, but a 6 if all went well.